HPT VE Tuning - The Easy Way - Page 2 - Tuning Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: HPT VE Tuning - The Easy Way
Monday, September 18, 2006 4:48 PM
Also I just moved my wideband to 18" after the turbo like the book says. Before I only had it about 6" from the turbo and when I went to the dyno it was reading 1 point richer than the dyno. Do you think this will fix my issue? either way i will tune it to the wideband because its probably more accurate than the one they stick in the tailpipe at the dyno.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 6:15 AM
the bosch sensor is supposed to be 24-30" from the turbochargers, they hate the heat and burn out easily.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 2:39 PM
Well so far ive done 2 flashes with the 1 Bar Low RPM VE, noticable takeoff power from 1000-3000, not reallly smooth though, i used the smoothing button but in the graph it doesnt look real smooth

In some places I was up to 21% off but it is starting to get better, in open loop the AFR at idle was 11.3 now its right around 14.7 like its supposed to be, not all cells are right yet though, its looking like im going to need alot more flashes but it gets a bit closer every time i do

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Thursday, September 21, 2006 7:45 AM
Borrowed an EIO cable from a friend, going to get the WB hooked in and get some datalogging done in the next few days, I"ll let you know how it goes.

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Saturday, September 23, 2006 12:01 PM
There is another step that should be added to this process to get accurate data and that is disabling deceleration fuel cut off or DCFO , reason being is that while driving the moment you let off the gas the chart will show you as being lean cause your AFR drops to 19.9 AFR in DCFO mode and the hp tuners sees that as being different from the commanded 14.6 so it shows as a lean spot on the histogram

Sunday, September 24, 2006 8:40 AM
Shifted, can you confirm this?

I tried this the other day, but my LM1 WB readout displays different that the HPtuners does, so I guess I need to do some digging to get these to readings to line up. Anyone have any experience with this, any suggested starting points?

Sunday, September 24, 2006 10:28 AM
Make sure it is correctly configured, and that the grounds for the HPT box is the same ground (and same wire) as the LM1.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 6:35 PM
Everytime I reflash after pasting the histogram data into the ve tables it is either way too lean or way too rich. It doesnt even get the afrs close to stoich. I followed shifted instructions exactly. If I am showing rich I will do the histogram stuff and reflsh and then it is too lean. It keeps going back and forth and seems to be getting worse with every reflash. What is going on?

Thursday, September 28, 2006 7:28 AM
DCStang67 wrote:Everytime I reflash after pasting the histogram data into the ve tables it is either way too lean or way too rich. It doesnt even get the afrs close to stoich. I followed shifted instructions exactly. If I am showing rich I will do the histogram stuff and reflsh and then it is too lean. It keeps going back and forth and seems to be getting worse with every reflash. What is going on?

What WB are you using? I did this as well, and the car would barely run! Turns out my WB readout and the HPtuners AF readings were different, so now I have to figure out what's going on with that, sounds like a ground issue, but I havn't gotten time to sort it out yet.

Thursday, September 28, 2006 1:15 PM
I have an AEM UEGO wideband. The gauge and hptuners are reading the same. Both grounds are on the same wire. It just seems like the afr error % is wrong.

Friday, September 29, 2006 7:04 AM
its always going to go back and forth be sure that the A is selected at the top of the histogram so your getting average values rather than min or max values, as long as your seeing 0 to -5 in the cells you should be fine

Friday, September 29, 2006 12:59 PM
The a for average is selected and has always been. I see numbers from -20 through 20 sometimes even beyond that.
I will send you my files so you can see for yourself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, September 29, 2006 1:15 PM

Friday, September 29, 2006 1:51 PM
I think I figured it out. In Shifteds instructions he says this

In the VCM Editor
1. Select all the cells in the VE table, click in the first cell and drag all the way to the bottom right corner of the table.
2. Right click, Paste Special> Add

In the help section of HPTuners I found this

Open your pre-configured AFR error % histogram & set cell his required to 50, click average & load all data.
Next highlight & copy all cells
Switch to the SDStarter1.hpt file & open your main & secondary VE tables & paste special-multiply by % to the main & hand blend the surrounding unaffected cells. Then copy each line to the secondary.
Now Save your tune as: SDtune1.hpt & perform a calibration only reflash to the PCM
If necessary repeat the until the average cell values in your AFR error map(s) are close to 0 (aim for +/- 1.

This looks to me like it will do a better job. I will go and try it and see how it goes.

Saturday, September 30, 2006 7:35 AM
Very interesting, I'll have to try that. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the HPtuners readout match the LM1 readout though, not fun as I'm not very good at that stuff.

Thursday, October 19, 2006 7:27 PM
Good info, will be verfy useful, muhahahahahahhaa

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 10:38 AM
Shifted is a god amongst the mere mortals of the JBO, and you people should be paypalling him money just to read his posts.... seriously...

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Tuesday, March 20, 2007 4:14 PM
Could someone please help me out,

Im stuck on this step of preparation,

2. Set the target AFR
a) Go to Engine>Fuel Control>Power Enrich
b) Click on the Base AFR vs ECT
c) Set your desired AFR at each particular ECT.
d) Open the Mult vs RPM and set the multiplier for each RPM to hit the target AFR in that RPM cell

On D, all the mutlipiers on my stock tune are set to 1.0, Where am I supposed to see the target AFR at? Its just a multipier vs. rpm. If the line on the graph represents AFR wouldn't I just make the multiper value the AFR I want? Why are they all set to 1 stock?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Monday, April 09, 2007 2:46 AM
BlackEco wrote:Could someone please help me out,

Im stuck on this step of preparation,

2. Set the target AFR
a) Go to Engine>Fuel Control>Power Enrich
b) Click on the Base AFR vs ECT
c) Set your desired AFR at each particular ECT.
d) Open the Mult vs RPM and set the multiplier for each RPM to hit the target AFR in that RPM cell

On D, all the mutlipiers on my stock tune are set to 1.0, Where am I supposed to see the target AFR at? Its just a multipier vs. rpm. If the line on the graph represents AFR wouldn't I just make the multiper value the AFR I want? Why are they all set to 1 stock?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Wondering this too......

2000 Camaro V6.
| SLP Loudmouth | CAI Intake | HID's |

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 7:02 PM
The AFR is set in the AFR Target on the PE page.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 3:22 AM
Well, yeah....

But how can we figure out what the Mult is the reach our target AFR?? Like BlackEco, my Mult vs RPM is all 1.0 so do we just leave it like that?? Say I want to run 11.9:1 in PE, do I leave the Mult vs RPM at 1.0?

2000 Camaro V6.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 3:57 AM
Ok, so do you take your Commanded AFR Lo Res and divide it by your PE Target AFR to get your Mult vs RPM??? Cause it seems like that's what I'm supposed to do cause it came out 1.223???? I dunno I'm just guessing here lol....

2000 Camaro V6.

Thursday, April 19, 2007 11:41 PM
Hey Shifted, have you updated those histograms recently?

I was looking at the 2bar high rpm ve one, and noticed it's missing a couple rpm points, namely 5800 and 6600

Or maybe mine downloaded weird....I dunno just figured I would say something!!

2000 Camaro V6.

Friday, April 20, 2007 5:35 AM
No, I haven't updated them, adding the points is easy, just configure the histogram and add them, you'll see where to put them.

Friday, April 20, 2007 5:36 AM
Yea I figured that out lol....I just thought I would let other people know cause it took me a minute to figure it out!!

2000 Camaro V6.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 1:18 AM
WhininZ wrote:Well, yeah....

But how can we figure out what the Mult is the reach our target AFR?? Like BlackEco, my Mult vs RPM is all 1.0 so do we just leave it like that?? Say I want to run 11.9:1 in PE, do I leave the Mult vs RPM at 1.0?

The multiplier table kind of adds another dimension onto the PE fuel base vs. ect table. So in the first table, you specify your desired base afr based on different coolant temps. But the multiplier table allows you to fine tune that based on RPM's as well. So say you want to run an afr of 12 normally for PE, but under a couple of cells you want to run 11.9, you'd take the new number you want(11.9) and divide it by the base afr (12 in this case) which would give you 0.9917 aproximately. So that would be the multiplier value you would use for that cell. So to check your work, just take the multiplier contant you get (0.9917) and multiply it by whatever is in the cell for the base afr (12), this gives a value of 11.9, so sure enough the math is right.

To put it in a different perspective, if you had a multiplier value of 0.95 and the base afr was 12, then the new afr for that RPM's cell would be 11.4 (because 0.95 * 12 = 11.4).

Hope that clears it up.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search