Urethane "knock-off" question.... - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Urethane "knock-off" question....
Saturday, February 12, 2005 12:59 PM
First of all, Aaron, if you read this, I SO appreciate your info and experiences, I just wanted to get some other opinions, you know?

I'll try to make this short and sweet...

I LOVE the Bomex front bumper.
I WANT urethane...I've heard real good things
Bomex doesn't make urethane front bumpers, correct?
So I went on Ebay and found some "knock-off" Bomex front bumpers made of urethane for a decent price and decent shipping.
My question is, has anyone order these "knock-off" bumpers of urethane?
And what were your experiences with them?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Urethane "knock-off" question....
Saturday, February 12, 2005 2:09 PM
You can get the Bomex in urethane. Go to eccmotorsports.com. Its under the Versus kits. It runs $809 for the full kit.

Saturday, February 12, 2005 2:10 PM
One thing I forgot to add. I've heard nothing but good things when it comes to fitment on the Versus kits.

Saturday, February 12, 2005 2:20 PM
yup, excellent. Bomex USA/Japan does not make the urethane kits, but Versus motorsport does. So yes, they are perfect. I have the sides (which im currently trying to sell). So yes, A+.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Saturday, February 12, 2005 5:12 PM
I don't need the full kit, just the front bumper.
I found one on Ebay for a good price...
Saturday, February 12, 2005 5:21 PM
I just dont get why so many people love urethane kits, Its such a pain to fix unlike fiberglass. Granted it has more flex and play in it that fiberglass, i just seen way to many kits that spider the paint when they bump it. And then trying to fix a hole or tear is another story. Good luck.

Saturday, February 12, 2005 5:37 PM
pain to fix? it usually doesn't break lol
i've seen nothing but awful fiberglass...cracks, waves..etc.
idk i like how durable urethane is..
Saturday, February 12, 2005 7:25 PM
Quote:

i just seen way to many kits that spider the paint when they bump it.

yup instead you bump fiberglass an the thing just cracks or breaks off lol...and if you get it painted right (with the proper flex additives an right primer an stuff the paint wont spider an stuff from the flex

Saturday, February 12, 2005 7:40 PM
^^ beat me to it

Sunday, February 13, 2005 7:23 AM
exactly....
there shouldnt be any probs with urethane although people keep telling me differently..
i dont see how fiberglass is popular :\

i just wanted to know how those urethane knock off bumpers turned out, IF you purchased one.

oh, and i refuse to pay 472 dollars for ONLY the front bumper through versusmotorsport.
Sunday, February 13, 2005 8:41 AM
try winks or ecc.

Sunday, February 13, 2005 1:58 PM
cavy girl wrote:exactly....
there shouldnt be any probs with urethane although people keep telling me differently..
i dont see how fiberglass is popular :\

i just wanted to know how those urethane knock off bumpers turned out, IF you purchased one.

oh, and i refuse to pay 472 dollars for ONLY the front bumper through versusmotorsport.

thats not all that much for urethane. I promise you will be very very sorry after you buy a body kit or front bumper off of ebay

PROJECT EXTREME SF IN PROGRESS. HOPEFULLY DONE BY MARCH 05
Sunday, February 13, 2005 2:53 PM
Versus stuff is great but I wouldn't chance it buying a bumper off e-bay (i've heard nothing but bad things about ebay kits).
BTW:I'm selling a versus drift(speed) front bumper is anyone is interested.

My Car domain page
Sunday, February 13, 2005 5:00 PM
Im just a fiberglass guy, i think its real easy to work with and if it cracks or breaks then its not a big deal to fix. Eveyone has their own opinion but i guess if your not doing the work yourself then get what u want.

Sunday, February 13, 2005 5:21 PM
oh but i am doing the work myself...i wouldn't spend the thousands to get it done at a shop.
that'd be ridiculous.

even though i AM doing the work, I really dont want to have to be fixing the fiberglass cracks every other day. i have better things to do lol.

viper...i think i've tried those sites..alot of them won't sell it in pieces..just full kits..another thing i dislike. it's 10x harder to find things when you want to mix and match.
Sunday, February 13, 2005 5:39 PM
contact winks, i got mine in mix and match, not a full kit. "reading" a site isn't contacting them and asking.

Sunday, February 13, 2005 6:04 PM
True story regarding fiberglass.

The shop my car is at right now did the work on a neon. The customer brought in his own front bumper that he bought for his make and model.....He paid in the range of $300 for the front bumer. And the work that went into that bumper to get it to fit right was a nightmare. The bumper literally needed to be cut in half then fiberglassed back together because the bumper was too wide.

Now granted thats not the case for every fiberglass part (because i have molded drift sides) but its just something you have to think about if you plan on installing your own fiberglass stuff.

I would say if you go with urathane you can do the install yourself (but i would strongly suggest getting it painted by a professional shop) ....If you get fiberglass i would suggest getting it all painted and installed by a shop...

just my 2 cents
Sunday, February 13, 2005 7:07 PM
viper...if they allow mix and match, it'd be a little more professional to put that somewheres in the website, IMO. i don't have time to call up every place and ask the question that should be posted when i "READ" the website.

and i'll be painting myself as well. all DIY here folks.

yeah i've heard similar stories as that neon story...
Sunday, February 13, 2005 8:01 PM
with the hundreds of products that companies carry, sometimes maintaining the website (which in some cases is where a smaller amount of profit comes from compared to other areas) to the perfect likings of everyone isn't feasible. if someone is interested in a product, any product, they will contact them. and a few phone calls/emails that can save you a lot of MONEY for what YOU want that could take you an HOUR of time is definitely worth the savings in my opinion.

Monday, February 14, 2005 6:39 AM
While true, I still don't think "Kits can be mix and match" is something not worth putting on a website. It doesn't require that much effort. I like to know things before I call. Why bother having a website if you don't give detailed information? Why not just skip all the pictures and everything and just say "Call us"?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search