How do I get paint to look new again! - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
How do I get paint to look new again!
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 6:04 PM
Hi I have a 2003 cavalier, and I think I have waxed it too much or something which I know I shouldn't have, but now the paint looks not as shiny as it did when i bought it, I want it to sparkle like it did when it was new, people talk about this wax remover, do u use that? like use that then use the meguiars 3 step? please help!

Re: How do I get paint to look new again!
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 6:46 PM
meguiars or mothers 3 step is alot of work but itll work. or else u can try using mothers cleaner wax.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 6:47 PM
get a clay bar....no question

you can find them at any auto parts store..

use it and be utterly amazed

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 6:55 PM
i jsut wax the whole car and use a polisher and shines like new

00 cavi now in body shop
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 7:00 PM
Opeth, what do you do with the clay bar? just press against the whole car, small section by small section? What do you do afterwards?

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 7:04 PM
ive heard about a clay bar but dont really know how it works. how do you use it and is there any kind that is better than another???
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 7:35 PM
Well I work for a car detailing shop and from the sounds of it your car might be starting to suffer from oxidation. Can you take any pics of your car's finish and post them up for me to see?
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 7:49 PM
get a new paint job???
j/k jsut being an a$$

take Opeths word. just look at the pictures of his car..tha paint shines like no other and most the time picture are nothing compared to the real thing.

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 8:26 PM
well i spent about 3 days just before winter wet-sanding my whole car down and took a buffer to it then i did the meguiars polish and wax to it.... it looked better than it did brand new!
btw... i did this to my other car i just sold.. the people that bought it couldnt believe how nice thepaint jod looked!

so there my contribution!

My car was made with wrenches, Not chopsticks.
Wednesday, February 16, 2005 11:10 PM
wet sanding might be a little overkill however it will make it look alot better, go to a paint store that sells ppg, get dx330 wax and grease remover, wipe it on in small areas and wipe it off with a clean rag. Then take a buffer and rubbing compound at about 1500 rpms with a wool pad, then a foam pad and foam pad polishing compound. In the future, not all waxes are good for your car in the long run, companies like meguiars are, but stay away from silicon and silicon based products. A good polish will shine better than a wax job 9 out of 10 times.

Thursday, February 17, 2005 3:53 AM
Mothers has a kit which comes with a clay bar, detailer spray and wax.....all you do is wash your ride, dry it off and spray the detailer spray (in a small are first) then take the clay bar and rub it where the detailer spray is then wax the car....I believe thats all.....good luck
Alex

Thursday, February 17, 2005 7:18 PM
tech wax...if you dont wanna spend all day just wipe some meguiars tech wax on, wipe off, @!#$ works amazing

lol, 4th, oh well, im working on it.
Thursday, February 17, 2005 7:33 PM
Have the car buffed and polished. The elements where you live may have just been hard on it. It should look like new once you do it.

Proud member of JBOK (J-bodies of Kentucky)

Friday, February 18, 2005 1:51 AM
Get the meguiars 3 step like every one is saying.... do not use an electric buffer... if you don't know what your doing you can screw your paint job up VERY BAD!!!... i will get pictures for you tomorrow of what that meguiars 3 step can do with the clay bar... My old man has a 1987 Buick GNX in the World Of Wheels car show right now, with original paint (18years old) and we used the meguiars on it and the paint looks like a mirror. all you do is spray the quick detailer on the car (acts as a lubricant) then take the clay bar (its almost like sticky tack) and rub it over the spot you just sprayed and then wipe it off... it takes a long time but it is well worth it.
Friday, February 18, 2005 10:25 PM
buffing or wet sanding will make paint look new again not a clay bar
i use a carnuba based wax on mine and it shines like no other
factory paint is not that thick so just be careful when buffing
like he said using a medium compound on a foam cutting pad not wool and then using 3m dark colored polishing glaze on the black foam pad the car will look like a mirror
small tip
use a spray bottle with water spray it on the panel with the compound and be amazed

can i haz bondo
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search