How To: Front End Swaps for 3rd Gen Js!!!! - Page 8 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: How To: Front End Swaps for 3rd Gen Js!!!!
Friday, December 19, 2008 1:22 PM
The crush guard is the same for 95-99. Different for 03-05. Surprisingly enough, GM Parts Direct says the metal impact bar is different as well.

Monday, December 22, 2008 3:31 PM
i haven't seen this mentioned yet.. i have an 03 ls sport and was wanting to do the 02 front end swap.. are the fog light bulbs the same 880 bulb for both 03 and 02 fog lights?
Monday, December 22, 2008 6:41 PM
yes. The fogs light housings are actually the same as well 00-05.

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 2:36 PM
thank you very much manta

Monday, January 26, 2009 11:04 PM
Okay, i am looking to swap out my current 96 sunfire front end for a 95-99 cavalier front end....i know the cavalier uses 2 different bulbs (9005,9006)...what kind of wiring do i need to do to make this work, since the sunfire only uses 1 bulb?
Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:58 AM
No offense but did you even read the sticky? I don't mind helping someone out with questions but it seems like you just came in here asked how to do it when the sticky tells you how to do it. All the info is in the sticky.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 6:31 AM
Stephen (manta z) wrote:No offense but did you even read the sticky? I don't mind helping someone out with questions but it seems like you just came in here asked how to do it when the sticky tells you how to do it. All the info is in the sticky.

I thought i read through it all, but i guess not. I will read the sticky again...my bad
Tuesday, January 27, 2009 6:34 AM
Yup i just found it....didn't read down far enough/got lazy...haha, sorry about that....

/noobishness
Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:54 AM
good to hear. I know its long lol

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:11 PM
Hell of a write up though...
Sunday, February 22, 2009 10:01 PM
not sure if this was ever talked bout, the hood catches on the 03+ sunfires are they the same as the 03 cav ?? and anyone thats running the RK streetfire front bumper did you keep the crash foam and how did you mount the bumper. pics would be nice too

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Thursday, February 26, 2009 1:12 PM
a full forward (headlights , turnsignals.ect) for the 03+ Sunfire is available from GM , so this solves the whole spliceing wires . price of the harness is $ 208.83 . i do have a part number is anyone is interested

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Wednesday, April 01, 2009 1:34 AM
I was looking into doing a headlight/front bumper swap to my 03-05 model cavi, I never cared for the way the front end looks and I much prefer the 95-02 front end much more, any advice on how to go about doing this?

I know obviously I have to replace the lights and front bumper, but is the hood necessary to replace as well?
Wednesday, April 01, 2009 10:44 AM
Yes the hood has to be replaced. Any 95-02 Cavalier hood will work for the swap. You'll need it, the lights, front bumper, and possibly the crush guard (piece behind the bumper). You'll also need the latch assembly that bolts to the radiator brace, and the hood striker (latch bar that bolts to the hood). The 00-02 used the same bulbs so you won't have to change the headlight wiring.

Wednesday, April 01, 2009 11:24 AM
Shadowfire wrote:Yes the hood has to be replaced. Any 95-02 Cavalier hood will work for the swap. You'll need it, the lights, front bumper, and possibly the crush guard (piece behind the bumper). You'll also need the latch assembly that bolts to the radiator brace, and the hood striker (latch bar that bolts to the hood). The 00-02 used the same bulbs so you won't have to change the headlight wiring.

Yeah I figured i'd have to replace all 3, you say the 00-02 bulbs wont have be any different so I wont have to replace any of that?

Im considering projector lights for my cavalier... any input on that?
Wednesday, April 01, 2009 1:06 PM
The 00-02 headlights use the same bulbs(9007) as the 03-05 Cavaliers.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:00 PM
What things do i need to convert from 96-99 to 00-02 model front end can anyone help
Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:57 PM
Soo does anybody actually (god-forbid!) read the thread to see what they need for *such-and-such* a conversion? Every possible conversion using Cavalier and Sunfire parts has been covered numerous times...

But, to contribute to the delinquency, you (Christopher) will need 9007 sockets & bulbs, the headlights & corner lights, 00-02 bumper. Go back through the thread to see if you need the rubber crush-guard, it's been so long that I don't recall.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:25 PM
i added my contribution to the tread w/ the added ability to get the harness needed for the lights on the 03+ Fires , if anyone is doing that conversion.

if you are swaping 03+ Cavaliers with the 03 Fire or fire to cavalier, i dont see how your gonna split a plug/wire that is a single high/low bulb to one that needs 2 bulbs (1 high 1 low beam)

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:42 PM
Swap the headlight harness?

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:43 PM
JokerAKA Showoff03LS wrote:
if you are swaping 03+ Cavaliers with the 03 Fire or fire to cavalier, i dont see how your gonna split a plug/wire that is a single high/low bulb to one that needs 2 bulbs (1 high 1 low beam)

no offense but then u have no clue on how our lighting system works
Our headlights are ground controlled.. Meaning a ground circuit is completed in the switch giving your lows or highs.. In a single bulb setup, The middle wire going to the plug is Constant 12v. The outter two wires are your two ground wires, one for lows one for highs. Switching that 3 wire setup to a 4 wire is simple. 1 wire on each plug will connect to each other, then those 2 connect to the constant 12v. this leaving 1 wire on each plug open, connect the remaining wire on the low beam plug to the low beam ground wire, and same thing for the high beam. done. Now your correct, you cant split the plug.. but you dont use the same plug at all, just get used or even new bulb plugs in the sizes you need.. Thats how people can do other headlight swaps as well..

but for yours you just swapped the headlight harness out?.. i know for older Js its a hit or miss.. so glad it can be done that way as well for 00+

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:46 PM
instead of doing all that cutting and splicing im just gonna spend the $180 @ a dealer and buy the forward harness for the Sunfire headlights and all

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:49 PM
Drag it to death wrote:Swap the headlight harness?

thats what im doing, instead of buying all the pigtails needed for the sunfire . headlight plugs are 30 bucks each for the Fire . the marker sockets are diff from the 03 cav to the 03 Fire . make more sence to swap the harness

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:25 PM
JokerAKA Showoff03LS wrote:instead of doing all that cutting and splicing im just gonna spend the $180 @ a dealer and buy the forward harness for the Sunfire headlights and all

You'd really spend that much money instead of splicing the pigtails in? It's simple to do.. I could do it in my sleep. I could even make a plug and play adapter harness for you for a lot less money..

Tuesday, April 21, 2009 3:46 PM
Im in the middle of a swap from a 00 cav to a 03+ cav front end and i came across a little problem. The headlight adjustment is hitting the frame.

Anyone else have this problem?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search