All Years DRL Disable and Other Headlight Tricks - Page 2 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: All Years DRL Disable and Other Headlight Tric
Saturday, November 18, 2006 7:25 PM
When you do this for a 97 will the DRL light flash on the gauges?

Sunday, November 19, 2006 10:41 AM
not if you do it by cuting the wire in the cluster like shown. it should be fine. mine is.

FOR SALE: (5) '95-'99 Z24 Rims
Sunday, November 19, 2006 5:52 PM
cool. Ill be doing it this sometime this week
Thursday, December 28, 2006 5:52 AM
do you have the instructions on how to do the fog lights with the high beams on the 00+
Thursday, January 04, 2007 8:11 PM
whitie365 wrote:do you have the instructions on how to do the fog lights with the high beams on the 00+

I would like to know how to make the fog lights stay on with the brights on an '02 Sunfire GT as well.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 9:04 PM
J TO ENVY wrote:
whitie365 wrote:do you have the instructions on how to do the fog lights with the high beams on the 00+

I would like to know how to make the fog lights stay on with the brights on an '02 Sunfire GT as well.

me 3

Member of J-body of Michigan.
Tuesday, January 16, 2007 9:19 PM
J TO ENVY wrote:

This might work if someone wants to try it...

The fog light relay is a 4 pin (I don't know where it is, so someone else will need to post that...)

Go to the autoparts store and get a 5 pin bosch-style relay and socket. (fyi -- Cooling fan relay for a 1990 Cavalier 2.2 sedan is a 5 pin )

Remove the relay and the plug. Cut the socket off one wire at a time, splicing it to the following wires on the new plug:

The orange wires go to pin 86 and 30. Green/white goes to 85, purple on the stock plug goes to 87. You will need to run a second connection to 87a on the 5 pin relay (the middle pin).

Fogs should come on as normal and stay on with the high beams.

Quote:

Internal Workings of Bosch relay:

When there is no difference of potential (voltage) across terminals 85 and 86 (the coil), the relay's movable contact (connected to terminal 30) is held, by spring tension, against the electrical contact which is connected to terminal 87a (the normally closed contact). In other words, when no voltage is applied the the relay coil, terminal 87a is connected to terminal 30. When 12 volts is applied to the relay coil (terminals 85 and 86), the movable contact (connected to terminal 30) is pulled down/in by the electromagnet (coil) so that it physically contacts the electrical contact which is connected to terminal 87. Again, in other words, if battery voltage is applied to the relay coil (terminals 85 and 86) terminal 30 will be connected to terminal 87. The red dashed line shows the path in which electrical current flows from/through terminal 30 to the contact of terminal 87a when the relay coil is NOT energized.

http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm

In english... 30 is the ground, 87 is the power when 12v is applied... by using a 5 pin relay instead of a 4, 87a (power when 12v is not applied) will have the fogs light up with the high beams.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, January 16, 2007 9:23 PM

Thursday, January 18, 2007 8:06 AM
I will really like the low beams to stay on when using the brights, can someone help with a scheme or something. Did the fogs and high beams, nice trick.
Thursday, January 18, 2007 12:18 PM
A correction to the original post (I have a tendancy to get pins reversed)...

86 is ground, 30 is 12v pos constant (battery source), 85 is the trigger wire...

Reference here: http://www.classictruckshop.com/clubs/earlyburbs/projects/bosch/foglites.htm

Ok.. for the dual high/low question, I'll start with a disclaimer:

This is only to be done with a dual beam set up (seperate bulb for high/low). Use of this mod with a single bulb setup will result in the bulb melting.

You are going to need 2 relays, one for each side. A 4 pin will work.

Pin 86 is the ground, 87 goes to the low beam positive (in parallel), 85 taps off the high beam positive wire, 30 goes to the battery....

When the high beams are activated, the relay will close, and the lows will stay on.

Thursday, January 18, 2007 3:16 PM
Thanks, how many amps should the relays be? 20-30 amps will be enough?
Thursday, January 18, 2007 5:34 PM
A 30 amp relay will be perfect.

Saturday, January 20, 2007 6:42 PM
It does not work, got the two relays (4 pins Bosch) did the wiring:
85 Hi beam +
86 Ground
87 low beam +
30 Battery
What´s wrong??? Reversed pins??? A friend told me I may need some diodes too??? Help
I want my low beams to stay on when using the brights because they aim too high and if I try to lower them since the headlight is one piece I f...the low beams
Saturday, January 20, 2007 7:34 PM
You have the pins right...

This worked flawlessly on my second gen cavi (can't do it with the Sunfire)...

If a diode is needed, it would go on the car side of where you spliced in the wire from pin 87. It would be a 6 amp diode, which are a bit hard to find...

Here's a quick paint drawing of how it should be wired up, let me know if this is how you have it...

Saturday, January 20, 2007 8:45 PM
Guess the thrid generation is diferent. As soon as I plug the relay I can hear it click this is with the lights off so something is wrong.
I think the drawing is not the same as you said before, nbrs. of 2 pins do not match the wires you said they should go to... anyway thanks. Tomorrow or monday I will find out how to do this on the 96 Z24 and when it is done I will post it.
Saturday, January 20, 2007 9:51 PM
Quote:

I think the drawing is not the same as you said before,

Its the same...

I wrote:Pin 86 is the ground, 87 goes to the low beam positive (in parallel), 85 taps off the high beam positive wire, 30 goes to the battery....

Referencing this setup for the pinout:

It follows those instructions.

Only thing I didn't do was label the pins in the paint drawing.

Sunday, January 21, 2007 10:52 AM
Very clear drawing for fog lights, since my car is a 96 all i did for them was cut the pink wire as was posted. Now for the the Low Beams to stay on with the Hi Beams, This is how I did it and it is working OK ,after two blown 15 amps left hi beam fuses, I got some help from my bro who knows his way in electronics :
You only need one relay, guess it is because the high beams are in parallel, the bosh 30 amp 4 pins, will be enough
1º Pin 30 to low beam ground
2º Pin 85 to positive hi beam
3º Pin 86 to ground hi beam
4º Pin 87 to ground
¡Voi la, when you turn the high beams you do not loose the low beams!
Only minus is I lost the bright pilot light on the dash.
Sunday, January 21, 2007 11:38 AM
Bright indicator on the dash is ok, just with the sun light I could not see it.
Sunday, January 21, 2007 12:01 PM
Quote:

Very clear drawing for fog lights, since my car is a 96 all i did for them was cut the pink wire as was posted. Now for the the Low Beams to stay on with the Hi Beams, This is how I did it and it is working OK ,after two blown 15 amps left hi beam fuses, I got some help from my bro who knows his way in electronics :
You only need one relay, guess it is because the high beams are in parallel, the bosh 30 amp 4 pins, will be enough
1º Pin 30 to low beam ground
2º Pin 85 to positive hi beam
3º Pin 86 to ground hi beam
4º Pin 87 to ground

Good deal I knew GM did some crazy stuff with wiring, but putting them in parallel???

Re: All Years DRL Disable and Other Headlight Tricks
Sunday, January 28, 2007 1:26 AM
Brian Anderson {1999-Z24-4spd} wrote:This is a fully conclusive write up for the 3rd generation j-body DRL Disable. The 95-99 trick was found by Mr. John Lenko. HUGE THANKS to Wootburgers, Arnjolt, and CaviFreak are the nice guys responsible for getting the 00+ one done Thanks to Cavi sedan ls (justin u) and Phewes because i stole their pictures.

This also has the tricks for the 96-99 and maybe other year J-Bodies to make the fog lights stay on with high beams. Thanks to MantaZ and Team Forward Motion.

For DRL Disable on 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 J-Bodies

1. Remove you Topper Pad

2. Remove the Bezel

3. Locate the Harness and pull back / cut the electrical tape

4a. For 95 you cut the tan wire(put her on purpose )

4b. For 96-99 you cut the smaller blue wire. (Cavalier = pin B8 Sunfire = pin B7)

5. Tape each end up

6. Pull back some electrical tape...and/or re-tape it up

7. Reconnect it

8. Put your dash back together

NO MORE DRL'S!

(another way is to get ahold of a tec2)

NEWS FLASH
.... For the DRL removal mod, The instructions above shown... is not needed to have it done. I have a much much much easier solution which will only take 5 minutes of your time and less work. For 95-97, simply find the DRL relay by the driver's side headlight (might have to remove the headlight) and pull out the relay, and look inside the relay for the prongs. Use the thin pliers to bend and twist to cut off #86, then plug it back in. Ta Da... no more DRLs. For the 98-99, simply remove the DRL relay from the fuse box from inside the car and do the same thing, cut off # 86 and then plug it back in. One suggestion... the piece that you cut off, use electrical black tape to cover it up just a bit..

As for 2000-2005, Im not so sure but I know one guy did the same thing on his 2002 Cavalier and it worked just the same... Worst thing that can happen is, u messed up one relay and have to go get a new one.

Hope that made life much easier for you guys...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Sunday, January 28, 2007 1:29 AM

STUFF FOR SALE... Please click here and see more info...
Sunday, January 28, 2007 1:36 AM
Quote:

For 95-97, simply find the DRL relay by the driver's side headlight (might have to remove the headlight) and pull out the relay, and look inside the relay for the prongs. Use the thin pliers to bend and twist to cut off #86, then plug it back in. Ta Da... no more DRLs.

No side effects?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Sunday, January 28, 2007 1:40 AM

Sunday, January 28, 2007 11:19 AM
Nope, no side effects at all except for the blinking DRL in your gauge cluster. Just plug it back in and everything will go back to normal. Mine blinks and Im not going to worry about it til Im ready to take the dash apart to do some mods and I'll cover that up while im at it.

STUFF FOR SALE... Please click here and see more info...

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 4:01 PM
So, you have to take off the dash to cover up the blinking light.... How is that harder than cutting one single wire?

(Just put a switch on it, if you want to be able to go back to stock)

Oh, and while we're at it... I pioneered the 00 one as well, did it before anyone else... but I must give credit where it's due - to "Blind Julius" who I sat with and discussed it at a J-car bash many years ago....

Thursday, February 01, 2007 10:45 PM
I'm gonna try something here in a couple weeks that will keep the DRL's on a 2k+ but kill them when the parking lights are on.

pin 87 to ground and 87a to complete the circuit on the DRLs... that should do it.

Monday, February 05, 2007 7:05 AM
yay no i can my fogs with my brights thanks alot
Monday, March 12, 2007 5:50 AM
so, on an 03 will the idiot light on the dash remain on after disabling the DRL's?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search