Do others think z3 fenders are played out n tacky - Page 2 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Do others think z3 fenders are played out n tacky
Monday, January 21, 2008 9:27 PM
Jacob Smith wrote:I think they look a lil tacky what everone else think?

Yes there for imports, not domestics.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:55 AM
Why is a Z3 fender only for imports and not domestics?

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 7:19 AM
Caveman wrote:

since you say so, it must be true. /sarcasm

possibly one of the most retarded comments i've ever heard.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 10:33 AM
I don't care for them, but that's just my opinion.

Almost every set of fiberglass ones I have seen didn't fit well / or were a PIA

to line up. Now the metal ones I have seen seem to line up better.

Once again, just my opinion...

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 11:32 AM
The Z3's became very popular a while back, there wasn't much out there in terms of different styles that were easy to get your hands on. That's why I got them years ago at least. Later on, I didn't like the look anymore and I really don't like the look of them now either all too much.

It's all about your own personal preference though, just like hoods, body kits, spoilers......

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 12:22 PM
Silver Z wrote:Why is a Z3 fender only for imports and not domestics?

Joey Baggs (JCE Designs) wrote:
Caveman wrote:

since you say so, it must be true. /sarcasm

possibly one of the most retarded comments i've ever heard.

No particular reason guys and NO it's not true, itfs a matter of opinion by me, Notice the part when Jacob Smith said "what does everyone else think? - meaning whatfs everyone's opinion, which I expressed. Just doesn't look good on a J, there's fine line that shouldn't be crossed when modifying a cavalier and once it is, it tends to lean toward the "riced out look"
Tuesday, January 22, 2008 1:42 PM
dont even start on riced out looks....let people mod their car how THEY want to. if u dont like the look of something that doesnt mean its "riced out" it just means now u know u dont want to do it to your own car.
Tuesday, January 22, 2008 7:18 PM
Derek wrote:dont even start on riced out looks....let people mod their car how THEY want to. if u dont like the look of something that doesnt mean its "riced out" it just means now u know u dont want to do it to your own car.

i dont know about that...

you have to look at what 'rice' means. ricing out a car is doing mods to it that resemble other cars just to get the attention that they do, in turn... trying to turn a sh!tbox car into something like a supercar or at least something thats decently fast from the factory. tons of people do it, making it even worse, thus creating the term 'rice'. and making them just LOOK that way is the worst, if they're fast its not so bad.

Its my opinion that the Z3's on anything except a Z3 are rice, just like Lamborghini doors on anything other than a Lambo.

rice:
big spoliers/wings on a car that does not benefit whatsoever from it, only for looks.
clear tail lights-played WAY the F out and now its just general information that they are RICE on any car
owners that install parts only for their look value to turn heads
any part added to a car that resembles another car to give it that 'omfg its got type-r emblems it MUST be fast!'

those are some examples, but there are literally TONS of things that can be deemed as rice.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 7:42 PM
sorry bud...but if you want to get technical, "rice" is a term to describe cars coming from Japan or surrounding areas. It may be true that some things they do to their cars in japan may not appeal to some people here, doesn't change the fact its someone trying to mod their car how they want to. I agree with the fact the a huge wing on the back of any car short of a dragster is kind of tacky, I'm not gonna trash on them for expressing themselves. im not trying to start a big dispute over a term, but theres no need to flame people for make their car lok how they want it.
Tuesday, January 22, 2008 7:57 PM
Rice: A concept used in the car culture to describe cars that appear to have tacky mods in the eyes of the party using the word.

Its like asking what a chair is, everyone knows, but your can't narrow it down to one single thing. "Something you sit on", I can sit on a lot of things that wouldn't classify it as a chair. Its a concept, a concept is a way of about an object, tangible or not. If your were asked to identify any chair in the world as a chair you could probably do it with out a problem except for maybe a few extreme examples, but if your were asked to define what a chair is, you would have great difficulty. Its the same as "rice". What is rice? Its subject to opinion.
Tuesday, January 22, 2008 8:03 PM
I eat rice for dinner. How about them apples?!

Anyways, I like my z3 fenders. It's better than the busted ones I had from the accident. Plus, it was free.

--------------------------
NCR-SCCA

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 5:20 AM
oh god, here we go again.

quoted from my posts in newbs forum........

Joey Baggs (Eazy716) wrote:in my experience, the word "rice" is used by people who are exactly what they call others....rice
uninformed, closed-minded, useless newbs who have no prolem bashing what others want to do to their car, and yet 9 times out of 10 have an intake and a super sweet muffler on stock exhaust. its not your car, so why label someone for doing what THEY want to THEIR car, wether you disagree with it or not.

Joey Baggs (Eazy716) wrote:no true car enthusiest would dare use the word, let alone allow it to define any aspect of building a car. just proves how worthless they are to the scene

Joey Baggs (JCE Designs) wrote:point being, some cars are built strictly for aesthetics....like mine. even if i do throw a turbo/SC on it, it i s purely for looks. obviously it would function like it should, but wouldnt be the purpose of it. i dont ever intend on running my car like that, nor would it even move with all the weight in it, lol.

which goes back to my original post....everyone has a different outlook, and a different goal for their car. why slap a stereotypical word on cars you may not like or agree with? why not just keep it to yourself and move on. only reason i can ever come up with is the fact that deep down those people are truly jealous and envy what they dont have.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 6:11 AM
I have a set of the steel ones. I dont have them on yet but I have planned to put LEDs behind the vents and have them hooked up to the turn signals. I think that the z3' s will look good depending on how you compliment them.
Wednesday, January 23, 2008 8:31 AM
Joey Baggs (JCE Designs) wrote:oh god, here we go again.

quoted from my posts in newbs forum........

Joey Baggs (Eazy716) wrote:in my experience, the word "rice" is used by people who are exactly what they call others....rice
uninformed, closed-minded, useless newbs who have no prolem bashing what others want to do to their car, and yet 9 times out of 10 have an intake and a super sweet muffler on stock exhaust. its not your car, so why label someone for doing what THEY want to THEIR car, wether you disagree with it or not.

Joey Baggs (Eazy716) wrote:no true car enthusiest would dare use the word, let alone allow it to define any aspect of building a car. just proves how worthless they are to the scene

Joey Baggs (JCE Designs) wrote:point being, some cars are built strictly for aesthetics....like mine. even if i do throw a turbo/SC on it, it i s purely for looks. obviously it would function like it should, but wouldnt be the purpose of it. i dont ever intend on running my car like that, nor would it even move with all the weight in it, lol.

which goes back to my original post....everyone has a different outlook, and a different goal for their car. why slap a stereotypical word on cars you may not like or agree with? why not just keep it to yourself and move on. only reason i can ever come up with is the fact that deep down those people are truly jealous and envy what they dont have.

ok, yeah thats fine and dandy... BUT...

people that build their car's for the look of being fast to me is rice. granted, i love seeing cars like your's at shows and could care less if its fast. the point isnt that its not fast, the point is people try to MAKE them LOOK fast.

dont get me wrong, i love show cars, mine is a show car and isnt fast, but i dont try and make it LOOK fast.

90% of the time if i buy something its for performance or weight reduction, unless said part takes away from the use of the car. granted, ive put on some 'look' parts... but its a show car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, January 23, 2008 8:34 AM

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 8:54 AM
this is the 3rd or 4th time ive heard someone say that......and yet i ask again, how do you make a car "look fast"?

certainly not by adding GT-R badging. To me thats uninformed autozone shoppers who dont even know what it means but think it "looks cool".

also, you said "owners that install parts only for their look value to turn heads" which is any showcar. I have friends with pure show cars that if they really wanted to race could blow the doors off many cars around here that are built strictly for racing. so does that make the racers "rice" ?

and by your own definition, YOU would be "rice". "weight reduction" and "performance mods" on a show car would be making the car "look fast" would it not?

im not trying to start an argument here by any means, but I cant stand when people use the term "rice". it just shows how closed minded and hypocritical people can be(not pointing to you buddy).

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 10:38 AM
this thread is funny. i know opinions cant be wrong but wow, there are alot of horrible opinions in here

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 12:10 PM
LOL. My car is mostly for show / personal enjoyment / cruiser.

I do have some engine mods done though. So I guess I would

be classified as an in-betweener.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 12:30 PM
Joey Baggs (JCE Designs) wrote:this is the 3rd or 4th time ive heard someone say that......and yet i ask again, how do you make a car "look fast"?

thats what im saying. i hate how everyone always wants to use the term "rice" yet when asked what it means, they give some sort of generic answer that cant be actually tied down. just about ANYTHING beyond stock is for looks. adding a c/f hood? on a show car, thats for looks. nice black aftermarket rims for your show car? looks again. in fact, even go fast parts are for looks when on a show car, just like joey said.

when i see a car with a hood and body kit, do i think to myself, "wow, that car looks fast"? HELL NO! i know that the majority of cars (any make or model) with body kits, rims, hoods, etc are JUST FOR LOOKS and probably dont have anything above a few simple bolt ons for added power. now if i see a stock looking car with some smaller aftermarket rims and a lip kit and a deep exhaust....? i think, "hmm....better watch this guy." but what im getting at is this: kits and hoods, etc are for simple aestetics. only ignorant, misinformed people will think that a fiberglass body kit = a super fast car.

and finally, like joey said, it seems that the type of people who go around calling other people's cars "rice" are either jealous because they only have a stock looking car, or they fall into the same definition they are using on others. "pot, meet kettle," that sort of thing.

coming back in 2008...
Thursday, January 24, 2008 7:32 AM
(tabs) wrote:thats what im saying. i hate how everyone always wants to use the term "rice" yet when asked what it means, they give some sort of generic answer that cant be actually tied down. just about ANYTHING beyond stock is for looks.

this is the way that I, MYSELF see it...

when you mod a car that has the intention of it looking like it could go fast (ie, body kits, TUNER rims, carbon parts that acctually drop weight) then your trying to give out the intention of WANTING to go fast, but you really DONT want to race or have a fast car, you really just want the LOOK of one. there is not a damn thing wrong with doing THIS in my eyes, except to me it seems like when you do it your wanting to be something your not. and that to me is 'rice'.

(tabs) wrote:adding a c/f hood?

yeah i did it for weight savings because my car is an auto and a slug, it needs all the help it can get. so i got the looks out of it as well, great.

(tabs) wrote:nice black aftermarket rims for your show car? looks again.

yes, i bought my current wheels just for looks, well that and the benefit of wider wheels and lower profile tires for better handling. that will all be solved when i get my new rims, 18's that weigh 17lb's each. now, your going to say 'well why dont u get 17's, there lighter yet' well, because of the fact that its a show car... so i guess, you could call me a ricer here for that lol

(tabs) wrote:when i see a car with a hood and body kit, do i think to myself, "wow, that car looks fast"? HELL NO!

yes thats the way YOU feel about it, but in reality, 3/4 of all car enthusiasts think differently.

(tabs) wrote:and finally, like joey said, it seems that the type of people who go around calling other people's cars "rice" are either jealous because they only have a stock looking car, or they fall into the same definition they are using on others. "pot, meet kettle," that sort of thing.

i have a stock looking car because i CHOSE to have a stock looking car. im not jealous of anything. i could have very easily thrown a body kit and bags on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, January 24, 2008 7:34 AM

Thursday, January 24, 2008 8:19 AM
Hell, I'll say im a ricer I dont care its not gonna hurt my feelings what so ever if someone calls me that. When I had my civic I would love when a mustang or camaro would pull up to me and try to race me becuase my car "looked fast" (ya my little four banger is gonna hang with you z28, dont think so). And what does having a faster car prove that you're gonna get to the next stop light faster than me.

Check the pic below, I didnt care what other people said about my car, I loved it and it was fun building it. And I tell you those guys in the stangs and maros who thought there car was better because it was faster, your girlfriend was sitting next to you telling you how good my car looked.

I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but ill bet that everyone has done something to their car "ricey" before.

I went from an import to being part of the J-Body nation.
Thursday, January 24, 2008 8:49 AM
z yaaaa wrote:
(tabs) wrote:thats what im saying. i hate how everyone always wants to use the term "rice" yet when asked what it means, they give some sort of generic answer that cant be actually tied down. just about ANYTHING beyond stock is for looks.

when you mod a car that has the intention of it looking like it could go fast (ie, body kits, TUNER rims, carbon parts that acctually drop weight) then your trying to give out the intention of WANTING to go fast, but you really DONT want to race or have a fast car, you really just want the LOOK of one. there is not a damn thing wrong with doing THIS in my eyes, except to me it seems like when you do it your wanting to be something your not. and that to me is 'rice'..

so again, by your own definition, you are a "ricer"

Thursday, January 24, 2008 9:06 AM
Joey Baggs (JCE Designs) wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:

when you mod a car that has the intention of it looking like it could go fast (ie, body kits, TUNER rims, carbon parts that acctually drop weight) then your trying to give out the intention of WANTING to go fast, but you really DONT want to race or have a fast car, you really just want the LOOK of one. there is not a damn thing wrong with doing THIS in my eyes, except to me it seems like when you do it your wanting to be something your not. and that to me is 'rice'..

so again, by your own definition, you are a "ricer"

partly, yes... i never said i was not.

i have a loud and obnoxious exhaust, cf engine and interior parts that do nothing for weight savings. im sure there are other things that could be viewed as 'rice' to others, in my experience, everybody has a different opinion of what 'rice' is, hence why i always say IMO, or 'this is the way i see it'.

i hope you guys dont think i think that doing things just for looks is 'rice', because thats not entirely the case, it is on a the level of doing things to a car that you think makes it look better, but it turn makes it look like you want to race all the time.

example:

wide body, you did it for looks... you like the way it looks, yes? but thats not the right reason for doing a widebody on a car, at least i dont THINK it is... arent they done for larger wheels and tires so they dont stick out of the side of the car? but then again maybe you did it FOR that reason, so you could put bigger rims/tires on your car, but it wouldnt be for any performance aspect-it would be merely for looks. right?

Thursday, January 24, 2008 9:17 AM
^^^absolutely!! the only things done to my car that I would remotely consider for performance would be intake and exhaust..........which I really didnt add for performance use, but more the fact that it would be kinda stupid to have a car as modded as mine with a stock exhaust and intake. all pure asthetics.

as far as widebody, it really depends on the car, and the cars goal. mine was purely for a different look. the whole purpose to my build was to make it one of a kind where you couldnt mistake my car for anyone elses. well that and i seem to never be able to stay with a single look for more than a few months, lol.

but anyone who thinks id even remotely think about trying to race my car, well, lol. with all the weight on her, id be lucky to keep up with a 5hp riding lawn mower

and again, im not trying to argue, and by no means am i "calling you out" or anything like that. I just have a great dislike for the word "rice" and how most people tend to use it

Thursday, January 24, 2008 9:20 AM
ok, thats fine man.

we'll agree that everybody has a different opinion of what 'rice' is and leave it at that.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 9:38 AM
i feel bad for the people that feel the need to use the word "rice" to describe a vehicle

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search