How To: Painting 2000-2002 Cavalier Headlights - Page 2 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: How To: Painting 2000-2002 Cavalier Headlights
Monday, February 02, 2009 12:44 PM

thats the headlights with the chevy emblem on the side and on the bottom and the circle left around the bul it looks really good

the front view you can really see the circle

thats the corners/blinkers i made but no lenses i broke them....stupid stupid

Thursday, February 19, 2009 9:07 AM
Has anyone tried painting them the color of the car? Mine is the metallic blue and I was thinking of going in that direction. Would that look good if I painted it the same color as the body or just go black? Also, how do you get the corner lights apart becuase someone said that it is different. Thanks.
Thursday, February 19, 2009 2:00 PM
ive painted a set of 03 factory color and they look great every one compliments on them its all in ur taste if u think ud like it matching go for it or u can get custom covers n paint them to really see if u like the match look.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 11:07 AM
Does anybody have any suggestions on chrome paint? I am in the process of painting the insides of my headlights, but when I cleaned the set I bought, some of the chrome paint came off. Unfortunately it's the chrome part that the light will be reflecting off of, and not the part i was gonna paint anyway.. thanks guys

ERIC
Wednesday, March 18, 2009 7:22 PM
i had tried it few years ago on bike handle bars and it basically turned out looking like tin fool color/ silver i think was a waste. yet i did use metal cast on a metal tank n it turned out nice.

Monday, March 23, 2009 11:39 PM
I think I might give this a shot. But does any one have any ideas on a way to give the lens a smoked look once I have it off? I am looking to get a set of smoked tail lights and would like to match it up front. Can only find clear lenses with black painted back ground but cant find them. Any thoughts will help...

Build it, Beat the wee out of it, brake it so you have a reason to put more one into it =P
Tuesday, March 24, 2009 10:22 AM
dont smoke the lenses big mistake. ive been in the cars when they have the removable headlight covers in smoke and the driver forgot to take them off. hardly see S^&t. also a buddy of mine had me install a set of smoked headlights on his truck and even with hids you could barely see what was infront of you and that was a very light tint smoke on them. we ended up changing to updated crystal clear lenses instead. headlights you dont wanna mess with when it comes to their visability. but if your determinded to nightshade useing a fine coat should be enough for your look but just me i wouldnt even try tinting period.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 12:34 AM
Thanks for the heads up wayne. I have seen a few smoked headlights on the market for other cars/trucks and figured if they sold them they did not effect the light that much and are safe. Guess I will get a few junk headlights and play with them abit and see what I get. That way I have the good ones on the car to go back to and keep it safe all the way around. Thanks again for the input

Build it, Beat the wee out of it, brake it so you have a reason to put more one into it =P
Sunday, May 17, 2009 9:08 AM
hey, might be a stupid question, but what kind of paint did you use when you painted the head lights, do i need a certain kind?
Friday, May 22, 2009 7:01 AM
yea i was wondering the same thing as brennan..what type of paint do i need?. And so you can paint the whole headlight housing black and it will still light up good and be legal?
Monday, June 08, 2009 1:44 AM
I have the same question as silverZ i noticed in the first picture that you had some of the paint clotting up and sticking to the paint not the surface is that because you didn't clean it properly? (not saying you didn't to bash anyone i just want to know what i need to do to keep the paint on the surface)

and did you have to use a high heat paint due to the cavalier has day runners and night time lights + high beams = hot i would hate for the paint to crack that would look like sheit

thanks

Monday, June 08, 2009 2:23 PM
also what glue did you use to reglue the turn signals? any help would be awesome i would love to do this before i went to work tonight

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 3:39 PM
yeah do you have to leave the silver thing not painted on the side or around the bulb? and also anyone know where i could get some angel eyes for 2004 cavalier ls sport? ohh btw i got lot of tires for sale really cheap if anyone interested //// roofie@wp.pl
Monday, August 17, 2009 11:04 PM
How would gloss black look??? Or red? My buddy's got a red cavy and I'm thinkin it would look good painted like Honda Fits!?

Friday, October 09, 2009 10:15 AM
note: if your gonnna bake the headights in an oven dont use your mothers... best use an infared lamp or a heatgun/blowdryer its not safe to use the oven she bakes your brownies in

Monday, January 25, 2010 1:47 PM
im gonna get another set of sunfire head lights and play with them, or has anyone done anything to a sunfire headlight yet?

Monday, April 26, 2010 12:18 PM
has anyone done red yet? i was thinking of doing that to match my car and make the leds stand out more when just them are on

Nathan:: i havent painted my lights yet but i ran a strip of red LEDs around the bottom of the light it looks kill if your looking for something extra to do. careful if you go with a color LED though
Monday, April 26, 2010 12:23 PM
elisa give me few mins ill take a pic and post i did victory red ones on a set of 03-05. to give u a idea of the look.

Monday, April 26, 2010 12:41 PM

cell pic and it is raining here soo lol. anyway the victory red is the accual paint on the car they are for. they are painted and clears just like the car not spray can paint. these came out great and match the car perfectly.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:40 PM
Elisa Thorson wrote:has anyone done red yet? i was thinking of doing that to match my car and make the leds stand out more when just them are on

Nathan:: i havent painted my lights yet but i ran a strip of red LEDs around the bottom of the light it looks kill if your looking for something extra to do. careful if you go with a color LED though

i did that not too long ago actaully, mine didnt turn out too bad

Friday, May 21, 2010 10:31 AM
anyone do this on a 98?

Friday, September 10, 2010 5:21 PM
Sunday, March 20, 2011 6:36 PM
Jesse Backer wrote:Anyone ever painted on an eye-lid?

That seems to be done a lot with sunfires to get the evil eye look, Real eyelids are better but, it can be a good substitute for low a budget.

I miss my Cavalier, even if it made 100 hp on a cold day and had more suspension then it deserved.
Wednesday, June 22, 2011 11:39 AM
i plan on doin a 00-02 headlight swap on my gf's 98 and turning it into a 00 z24 with the brickyard spoiler and body kit. i am goin to paint the headlight surround but not the inside curved part but was wondering about the bulb cover thing. can it be painted or is it going to block the light too much? also does any one sell clear covers for them? i want to make a set to put on at shows that are painted solid body color. also would wally world ultra flat camo black paint work. i painted a tailgate and hood on my ranger and i am in the process of doing my euro tailights like these headlights.

btw i love the info so far and appreciate any help u guys can give. the threads i have been reading are very uselfull.

will post pics of stuff being done as i take it all apart and start prepping.

"hey meg ya 18 yet? alright""so meg hows it feel to be 18?""im only 16" "so hows it feel to be 18?"
Monday, August 22, 2011 6:27 PM
Hey everyone that wants to do black corner lens i did it just the other day and what a pain(make sure u have a back up pair of corner lenses) ok i order a set of clear corners and i tested my stock ones first and here's how it goes. Oh this will take a few hours so make sure u got the time to spend on it. Things you will need: two different size flathead screw drivers( so a normal one and an a small one), black or clear sealant, 3m painters tape, and have to be patient while you Slowly pry lens off, if not it will crake or break!!!

First preheat your over to 290 degrees and wet a hand towel to place on a cookie sheat so you don't melt the light place it on the middle rack of your oven and set your timmer for 17 mins but do keep an eye on them, (caution lights will be very hot!!!)

Remove it and start at the side were it is wide start with the small screwdriver an push it into the silicone pull the handle towards u and just work ur way around the lens, and exzacto kife will also come in handy, to cut the silicone as you hold it slightly apart with the normal screwdriver, now u may need to keep reheating the lens cause the silicone hardens up fast but the softer the silicone the easier it will be to take apart, so if u reheat it do it for 8 mins and just make sure you also keep the towel wet so u dont burn it, just take your time and it will come off and after it comes off, clean it up really well with windex and mask off ur reflector and check to see if u need to clean it down again if u didn't wear gloves then spary the lens housingthe color u want then place the silicone in the groves of the housing then replace the lens. Now it will need to be clamped in the corners of the corner lens Cause it take 24 hrs for the silicone sealent to set so just used the painters tape and I hope this helps anyone out that needed it
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search