convertible weatherstripping - Page 3 - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: convertible weatherstripping
Monday, May 17, 2010 7:53 PM
all cavalier and sunfire convertible from 1995-2000 use the same strips. hell mine are from 3 different years and from both cavs and fures

Monday, May 17, 2010 8:00 PM
Excellent. That is extremely helpful. I sort of thought that was the case but I could not verify it anywhere.

I think I'll check all the junkyards in town and if I can't find one I'll try sealing it with silicone as suggested elsewhere on these forums. It is only if all else fails that I will pay that exorbitant amount for rubber!
Tuesday, May 18, 2010 7:05 AM
FYI Soffseal just started making this weatherstripping last week! Excellent news. They don't have it on their website but I sent them an email and they confirmed they had it. The relevant part numbers are:

8701: header seal $275.52
8702: roof rails (6 pcs) $237.22.

He even offered me 10% off if I bought them both, so that comes to about 450 + shipping for the ENTIRE package of weatherstripping. By far the best deal on the whole package I've found anywhere. I'm still gonna look for them in a junkyard first, but spread the word if you need to buy the whole kit new, this is probably your best bet.
Tuesday, May 18, 2010 7:43 AM
^^^^ link? let us know if you get them.....this IS killer news if its true!

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 7:47 AM
They don't have it up on their website yet, but if you call them or email them they do indeed claim to have it.

http://www.soffseal.com/store/Main.aspx?html=contact

This is the email I got from them:

Quote:

Good morning Jason,
Yes we do have the parts you are looking for. We just last week put them up for sale.Two part #'s 8701 is the header seal and 8702 are the roof rails 6 pcs, 7 pcs with the header seal 8701 cost $275.52 , 8702 cost $237.22. You can call and ask for Rich he will give you 10% discount if you buy both pieces

Thank you
Mark Cotter
National Sales Manager
Soffseal

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2010 9:05 PM
To: sales@soffseal.com
Subject: 2000 Cavalier Z24 Convertible weatherstripping

Hi, do you have weatherstripping for a 2000 cavalier z24 convertible? I need seals for all around the top, including where all windows and windshield meet the top. I did not see it in your inventory, but perhaps another part would suffice or maybe I just overlooked it? Your company was highly recommended to me so I hope you have it!

Sincerely,

Jason xxxxxx

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 7:58 AM
kickass! im not going to be able to buy this any time soon, but if you or anyone else does, please post it up with pics and a review if you will. btw for those that havent seen, check this out too:
(tabs) wrote:i dont have instructions on how to reskin the top, but if youre any what mechanical in nature youll be able to figure it out. use the pdf in this post (and check a few replies down for a link to another thread) for troubleshooting references and maybe even more detailed info on the top. (cant remember whats in it its been so long since ive read it)

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 11:43 AM
While it is great that they have this available now, $450 is still a lot of money.

I called every junk yard and auto salvage within 100 miles of me asking if they had any of these cars, and on the 19th (and very last) try, I found someone who did. Unfortunately, after getting my hopes up, he went out to look at it and said the rubber was all dry-rotted and useless. ARG!!

I think what I'm going to do now is try the silicone mentioned in this thread and see if that works. Even if it doesn't that's only 15 bucks wasted. I have one other idea if that doesn't work before I'm willing to pay for this part.
Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:35 PM
Ok so I just tried the silicone sealant and here are the results.

Front before:

Front after:

Corner before:
http://www.j-body.org/forums/options.php?f=7&i=284094&t=284094

Corner after:

I think it looks pretty good from a few feet away:

And is pretty much unnoticeable from any distance at all:

This method obviously won't work if your seals are completely trashed, but if it's just small leaks and dry-rotting then you might try it. I don't know if this will hold up for more than a few years, but it only cost me 6 bucks so even if I have to keep replacing it it's definitely superior to spending $450! I realize it's not as perfect looking as just buying the new weatherstripping would be, but for now I think it will do. The real test comes tomorrow, when it's supposed to rain. If it doesn't I'll give it the old hose test and let you know how it goes . I'm fairly confident it won't leak though.
Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:16 AM
damn son your seal was pretty bad. luckily mine only has a place or two starting to look like that. but def let us know how it works

Thursday, May 20, 2010 5:22 PM
So it rained pretty hard today and it only dripped a bit in the one corner where the rot was pretty bad in the pic above. I think I can just make the seal a little thicker and more form fitting and it should take care of it. Will report back how it goes.
Wednesday, June 02, 2010 2:51 PM
Another place just started selling the weatherstripping too.

Full kit is $479.95

Wednesday, June 02, 2010 7:07 PM
theyre all over ebay right now, header seals starting at $249.
Thursday, June 03, 2010 6:34 PM
we must have finally hit the 10 year mark so aftermarket companies can finally supply the demand. this is the best thing that could have happened at this point.

Friday, June 04, 2010 11:51 AM
Hmmm that looks interesting. And well, if there bad enough to replace then it cant hurt to try the silicone. Hmmm, something to maybe look at when i get back into chicago.

Friday, June 04, 2010 11:53 AM
damn forgot the email thingy, DAMN!! lol

Friday, June 04, 2010 11:54 AM
You only have to do it once in a thread and as long as you don't unsubscribe from it you will continue to get emailed when someone responds.
Monday, October 31, 2011 10:11 AM
Okay, no posts for more than a year... I hope you guys are still around.
I've ordered the 6-piece window weatherstripping set from topsdown.com, for $215, for my daughter's '98 Sunfire convertible. I was hoping for some good installation tips. I saw a pretty good video from 1aauto.com for removing old weatherstripping, so I think I can do that okay. Is there anyone out there that has installed these and has some advice/tips?
What kind of adhesive?
Where to start (end, middle)?
Useful techniques?
Do's and Don'ts?
Thanks!
Monday, October 31, 2011 2:14 PM
The 6 piece set should be easy, all it includes is the side rails and they come off pretty easy from what I can see. Youll need something like goof off to remove the old glue and 3m weather stripping adhesive for reassembly.

There is actually a writeup on here somewhere

Monday, October 31, 2011 2:22 PM
here is the link to the how to clicky

Tuesday, November 01, 2011 4:10 AM
Thanks, Z!
You don't happen to have that service manual on pdf, do you. The link at the other thread doesn't work.
~Mike
Tuesday, November 01, 2011 8:19 AM
Your welcome! And no I dont have it, wish I downloaded it though or if I did I lost it lol.

Monday, July 17, 2017 1:40 PM
I've been putting off this purchase for a while due to the price. Just found Soffseal 8701 (header) and Soffseal 8702 (6 piece set) weather seals on www.carparts.com for $260 total shipped! I used the 5% off coupon code "CPAFF8." Can't wait to install!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search