headlight restoration - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
headlight restoration
Thursday, November 03, 2011 9:36 AM
Hey I have a 03 Sunfire and I've noticed that my headlights are getting all corroded looking and the lighting is starting to get quite restricted. I've heard of headlight restoration kits and was wondering how good they work, if they are worth it, and perhaps which ones work the best. I seen a few kits like 3m ones that have multiple pads and you need a drill. I also seen a kit from Meguilars that had a few polishes and you used your hands. I was wondering if anyone had used any of these before and could give me any advice about them. I really can't afford to buy a new set of headlights at the moment.

Re: headlight restoration
Thursday, November 03, 2011 10:00 AM
Yea they work ok, if u take your time but you would get best results on having someone clear your head lights al they would do id sand ur headlight with 600 grit and 1200grit then spray clear on your headlight and they will turn out looking new........like i said the Kits work and its basically the same thing but instead of clear ur putting wax...It will last for a month or 2 then ware off and u have to do it again

Thursday, November 03, 2011 10:47 AM
Ya I did this before and had o redo this after like 2 months and I took my time. FYI

Thursday, November 03, 2011 11:14 AM
Also, dont hand sand the headlight lenses, use a good 18v drill or something thats consistant. I did mine and they look flawless. Hand sanding them I ended up sanding uneven and having to put in a lot of elbow grease. The drill took under 3min each light lol. Just watch the polish overspray, and tape off ur car good

assuming you have a basic drill, tape, your cost would be like $10 at harbor frieght, maybe go buy an extra sanding pad or two for under a few $, and about 10min of your time.

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Saturday, December 24, 2011 9:27 AM
i cleaned and buffed mine.and they turned yellowish again........!!!!!I think its cause of the way that the lights are tilted
Saturday, December 24, 2011 3:28 PM
Daniel Cooper wrote:Yea they work ok, if u take your time but you would get best results on having someone clear your head lights al they would do id sand ur headlight with 600 grit and 1200grit then spray clear on your headlight and they will turn out looking new........like i said the Kits work and its basically the same thing but instead of clear ur putting wax...It will last for a month or 2 then ware off and u have to do it again

although i'm sure there is some wax in it, your incorrect, the kits should be a polish, actually cutting down the top layer of the lens. We re-clean lights quite frequently, although id much more recommend properly polishing them first, some lights don't get along with clear over time. I'll wet sand the lens with 1200 and polish up with g3 compound with an electric polisher

Sunday, December 25, 2011 10:01 AM
All the UV inhibitors in the stock coating are used up (yes they wear out). Ive found that the 3M kits work best. They have the 3000 grit Trizact pads, which can be bought seperatly if needed. Do not hand sand like he said earlier. If you can afford to buy new lights, taking them to a body shop for the service might be a better bet. Most shops around me will do it for around $70. The bare acrylic doesnt like sunlight so it will yellow again if not coverd. If you can have them cleared with a quality urethane clear youll be ok.
Sunday, December 25, 2011 10:13 AM
there are kits out the (I'm thinking Mothers) that have a protection fluid in the kit that you apply after polishing them, best part its all in one box.

Monday, December 26, 2011 7:04 PM
rainx makes a restoration kit with the protection fluid and i has the consistancy of tire shine.
Tuesday, December 27, 2011 7:27 PM
3M now offers two kits, one uses a drill (the original and STILL best on the market) and one that you do by hand.

want the absolute best results? use the 3M kit, follow it with a good headlight sealer (3 coats). it is much easier to do the headlights wile they're off the car.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Wednesday, December 28, 2011 10:10 AM
I owned a headlight restoration company for a little while, so I can offer some accredited advice. Wet sand the lens horizontally starting with 800 and no rougher. Then work to 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, and 3000, sanding very thoroughly. Then polish with drill and pad using Mequires Ultimate Compound. Finally, mix mineral spirits and MINWAX Spar Urethane Clear Gloss 50/50 wipe on carefully with paper towel. The sealant adds clarity and longevity to the lens. As long as you own the car, those lights will never oxidize again. My website isn't up anymore, so you can see some of my work on my old facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Crown-Headlight-Restoration/190689734274865

You won't be disappointed if done right.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search