Big problem with shaved doors :-( - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Big problem with shaved doors :-(
Friday, December 23, 2011 8:37 AM
Ok so a couple years ago I shaved my handles and locks on my 2000 Z...my brother and i installed the door poppers outselves...so that went well for about a year...then all of the sudden my driver door all of the sudden would not open...the popper would engage cuz I could obviously hear it try and pop open...even when I try the door from the inside it won't open...I do have power locks and have of course tried the unlock button...when we installed the poppers we zip tied the locking mechanism so we wouldn't have the problem of the doors locking and what not...and yes the driver door kind of feels like it's locked when pulling on the inside handle...but like I said I've hit unlock how many times and nothing...so anyways I dealt with getting into the pass side door for like 6 months when all the sudden what do u know it doesn't open on day...well I have a tool made that I can open up through the seam in the door...anyways I get the door openwith the tool and I oil the crap out of the door jam mechanism thing "not sure what it's called" and my door opens everytime with the popper again...so about a couple months later again my door will not pop open...so I try my tool again and this time of course the door is not opening even when the inside handle is pulled...so of course I tried spraying lube inside the door seam but there is no way to reach the door latch thing in the door jam this way...anyways "somebody" broke my pass side window out and now I am of course able to get into the car...doesn't do much good cuz the door still won't open...so like I said the driver door won't open cuz it feels like it might be locked...the pass side door however does not feel locked but rather the door latch seems seized up...so finally here's my questions...how do u get a driver door open that's stuck presumably in the lock position and a pass door open that seems to have seized up and there is no way to get and lube on the latch thing??? Thank u guys for any help and I hope this is in the right forum. Thanks again and pleeeeease help :-)

its beer season

Re: Big problem with shaved doors :-(
Friday, December 23, 2011 8:52 AM
I have had poppers for about 10 years now on my j. Sounds like they were never installed correctly for 1. Why would you not disable the locks to the door when installing them???? Also sounds like you disconnected the inside rod to the handle. Your only option now is to get into the car, remove the front seats, which may be a little difficult. And then remove the interior door panels, which will also e hard since there are bolts holding the bottom of the interior door assmebly on, you may have to break the door trim off. You always have to have a back up plan with poppers, and also if one fails you have to fix it, if you wait you are lead to this, wost case scenario.,

Friday, December 23, 2011 9:06 AM
Thanks Jason...yeah idk I thought if I just zip tied the locks to be stuck in the unlock position it would be fine but I guess not :-(. I had a couple back up things in place though like being able to pop my hood from the outside of the car in case I'd dead battery and having my emergency button inside the engine bay to pop open the driver door incase I lock my keys in there. In which case none of these things are the issue lol. Anyways thanks again. I just didn't wanna have to cut my doors off lll

its beer season
Friday, December 23, 2011 6:33 PM
couple realities about poppers

remove the locks completely when installing. there is no need to have them what so ever... if you want to lock your doors, install buttons under your mirrors or somewhere and wire them to two relays so that when your alarm is armed, the buttons don't work, and when it is disarmed, the poppers work. Its also good to install a pull string in one of the doors and hide it in the fender down either to a point in the liner or to the hood. Keep it hidden and only known to you.

second of all... poppers were only designed to be used once or twice a week... using four or five times a day can lead to premature failure. some people are lucky and get years from their poppers, other people have to replace them yearly.

Friday, December 23, 2011 6:40 PM
Well also could be that the "Latching Claw" that holds the door shut may have broken. I had jerks at the dealer ship playing with my custom doors(prob showing off in the back) and when i got home and shut the door i herd weird clank. turned out the latch Broke when it latched shut. I was able to unbolt my seat push it in the back and remove the panel(thin shaft screwdriver) ull prob mark up the plastic but once u can locate those 4screws the others are easy then ull gain access to the back of the latch and should beable to pop it. took me a good 2hrs just to get it open. G/L

Friday, December 23, 2011 7:02 PM
Ya I have been through 3 sets over 10 years, I used them everyday for the first 4 years and they were great. However I think life has a lot to do with the install process, just like anything else. Good luck.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:08 PM
i dont think the poppers or shaved door kit is really the issue since you can't even open the door from the inside. the locks should have been removed. id check that and the basic door mechanism itself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, December 28, 2011 7:34 PM
my poppers kept jamming for some reason, lube them up and it would work for a while but just kept sticking. So, actuators are replacing them. Got the drivers do in no problems.
Thursday, December 29, 2011 11:53 AM
What ever happened with this? Ddid you ever get into this?

Thursday, December 29, 2011 5:34 PM
not much has happened cuz my car is parked for the winter and i dont need it for the moment...i was just posting it just to see what types of ideas might be floating around that i may not have thought of...but to answer some questions...yes my door latch rods are connected, idk why i didn't disconnect the locking all together, bone head move yup lol...like i said the driver door inside door lever feels locked when i pull on it so maybe i hit lock by accident which broke the zip tied lock and possibly is now lodged in a way that the door wont unlock? the passanger door like i said really feels like its the door claw latch that maybe ceased shut cuz the inside door lever feels like its still unlocked...any how yeah when spring roles around i guess im just gonna have to probably break the inner paneling off of the doors after i have removed the seats so i can get access to the lock mechanism...but anyways guys thanks for the posts...i appreciate it

here she is though

sorry didn't wanna start another thread

its beer season
Friday, December 30, 2011 4:35 PM
Good luck, doing a cable back up for my trunk this weekend since my trunk popper is electric and my battery is behind my sub box.. lol

Monday, January 02, 2012 10:36 AM
got it!!! so heres what was wrong...lets say your sitting in your car and your doors are locked ok....now with the doors locked u pull on the handles to open it and then hit the unlock switch...as we all know your doors will not unlock if your door lever is engaged...so anyways this happened to be the case with both my doors...what it was, was the poppers seemed to have both doors engaged to open so when i was trying to unlock them of course they wouldn't so we basically stuck out hand down inside the door panel and disengaged each popper and hit unlock and ill be damned it opened right up...so this spring when its warmer im gonna do it the right way this time and totally disengage the locks :-)

its beer season
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search