T-top possibility - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
T-top possibility
Sunday, March 18, 2012 1:21 PM
I've had the idea bouncing around in my head for a while now, and I was wondering what the good people of this forum thought about the possibility of converting a hard top 2001 cavalier (base model) to a t-top. Between me and the people helping me work on my car here and there, we have a good little bit of body work experience. I haven't taken the headliner out yet to look at the sheet metal and supports, but I'm guessing it won't be too different from a camaro. Besides that, there's the problem with the top of the doors which would need to become part of the t-top insert (which I'm thinking to just use the removed roof sections as opposed to having glass tops made) but apart from that weather stripping nightmare, it seems pretty possible to me, even if it means I can't take them all the way to the center, akin to the second gen F body t-tops as opposed to 3rd gen

Re: T-top possibility
Sunday, March 18, 2012 2:23 PM
Just reinforce the apillars and maybe put a roll bar in to support the rear section.

Just need to use vert window regulators so the glass drops when you open the doors.

I've wantsd to do this for a while. Never got around to being more than a thought though. I know a couple people that have don't it to 2g eclipses but the doors don't go around the windows like the j do.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Sunday, March 18, 2012 2:52 PM
The problem with the vert window regulators there is I don't have power windows to begin with
Monday, March 19, 2012 6:56 AM
it's been done before.

not sure where the thread with pics are for it though. maybe someone will be nice enough to search it out for you.

Monday, March 19, 2012 8:50 AM
Dustin Hardy is the one with the green sunfire and t-tops.
He did finish it.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:13 AM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:Dustin Hardy is the one with the green sunfire and t-tops.
He did finish it.

that's the one I was thinking of

glad you're not as lazy as me to search it out

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:20 PM
I had a thought today, and I'm wondering if it might be better to cut off the tops of the doors (just between the top of the a pillar and the rear pillar of the door) and make it so they are re-attachable to the doors, instead of incorporating the door tops into the t-tops, resulting in a 4 piece removal
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 4:51 PM
Might want to use vert doors then weld the tops of the window frames into the roof...maybe like a targa top. I remember looking at ratinthehats progress thread....I was like 16

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:41 AM
JUCNBST wrote:Might want to use vert doors then weld the tops of the window frames into the roof...maybe like a targa top. I remember looking at ratinthehats progress thread....I was like 16

There's really only 2 ways to go at it IMO.......usint the vert doors like JUC said, or to take your current doors, cut them to match what you;re cutting out of the roof section, then weld them back into the roof sections you cut out

If it were me attempting this project I would probably go the route of vert doors. this way you know you have a structurally sound door to start with. then work out the kinks with how the roof is going to shape out instead of having to worry about the roof and the doors.

just my $0.02

Saturday, April 14, 2012 12:47 PM
t-tops that would really cool post pics when youre done
Sunday, April 15, 2012 9:29 AM
Someone did a targa top one. Think it had some not so tasteful mods tho.

Monday, April 16, 2012 1:21 PM
that green one looks more like a targa, not a ttop..unless its finished and there just arent any pics. but man i loved my Z28 Camaro with ttops..it would be awesome on my 2dr cavy!

def a cool idea if you can get it right...

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Tuesday, April 17, 2012 11:14 AM
I like the targa top idea better (mostly cause i already have a ttop camaro!) but it wouls be easier and you have many options for parts such as del sols, supra, corvettes and stuff like that
Thursday, April 26, 2012 5:08 PM
id start with a vert myself and put a roof on it, perhaps off an actual ttop car but measurements would be needed.

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 7:58 PM
DSMskyline wrote:
Just need to use vert window regulators so the glass drops when you open the doors.

I didn't know verts had this.. I have a 99 and the windows don't do this.. Tell me more about this please..

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search