Melting up LEDs in tails - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Melting up LEDs in tails
Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:21 AM
Anyone have an issue with LEDs in their tail lights? I kept poping a fuse every time I would turn on the lights, so I upped it to a 25a. It doesn't pop, but what is happening is the its burning up the LEDS in the tails. Now of course I'm gunna switch it back to the 20a fuse, but I want to figure this out first. I've burned up about 6 diff bulbs, with 3 diff brands and styles. They actually start to melt at the contacts. Now what happens is if they are in the correct direction for the brake/hazards to work, then they work for that, but as soon as you turn on the parking lights, they melt down. If you reverse the polarity, they they work for the parking lights, but as soon as you hit the brakes/harzards, then they melt down. I' found 1 old LED bulb (only 1 of course) I had that for some reason works perfectly, but all others just seem to melt. Any ideas whats going on and how to fix it? Again, I will be putting the original 20a fuse back in when I'm done and figure out the issue.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Re: Melting up LEDs in tails
Thursday, April 19, 2012 9:16 AM
Make sure you are using SRCK bulbs in the tails. Non-SRCK will pop fuses....

Thursday, April 19, 2012 9:23 AM
SRCK? How can you tell if a bulb is SRCK (LED at least)?

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Thursday, April 19, 2012 10:06 AM
Using a 12v source (your car battery), hook up a power and ground test wire. The pinout for a standard bulb will be:

Red is power, black is ground. Test both grounds individually to the single power pin

SRCK is:

Note the change in layout of power/ground.

SRCK sockets have the ground terminals tied together to make a shared ground. When using a standard bulb in a CK socket, it creates a short circuit.

Thursday, April 19, 2012 10:11 AM
Gotcha. On the srck, are the positives the ones on the insides (center most) of the base, or just the same side? Kinda hard to tell what the lines go to...

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Thursday, April 19, 2012 10:14 AM
Sorry bout that....ck has power on the same long side pins

Friday, April 20, 2012 8:50 AM
Cool, thanks man, I ended up bending one of the ground wires over to the other side, so now the bulbs work on one (tail, not brake) but don't burn up anymore. If I could route one of the positive wires over and around to the other side where I got rid of the ground, they they'd function as a srck. They work fine now though until another set I ordered gets here. Thanks again.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Friday, April 20, 2012 9:35 AM
Check this.... I had to repin the socket for standard bulbs

http://www.nwgme.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=44&pid=7397#pid7397

Friday, April 20, 2012 1:48 PM
Nice. You sir, are a genius. I had most of that. Alls I had to do was turn the bulb 180* and switch the brown and black wires. Presto, they work perfectly.

12.6 @ 114.6 MPH

Friday, April 20, 2012 7:22 PM
never used LED, never saw the need.

FU Tuning

Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:03 PM
is this the same with the reverse lights cuz i keep poping fuses with them well the fuse pop right after i get to the back of the car and see that they have melted/ smoking like crazy

green twat waffle

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 11:20 AM
ok this is slightly off subject but i wanna swap to l.e.d tail lights in my 99 fire.I have the factory lenses and everything but going to tint them with vht nightshade and i was wondering what the number for the l.e.d is so I can figure out how much their gonna cost.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search