Help retaining DRL's with HID's... - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help retaining DRL's with HID's...
Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:08 PM
I'm in the middle of doing a Morimoto Mini D2S retrofit on my 2003 Cavalier but I'm currently fighting with the DRL's.

Unfortunately in order for the car to pass inspection the DRL's MUST function properly, so the DRL disable is out of the question. What I would like to know is if there would be some way to have the DRL's trigger the low beams, or is this wishful thinking?

Thanks for any help.

Pat.

Re: Help retaining DRL's with HID's...
Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:25 PM
I dont believe it will work. From what I can gather our DRL's just put out a lower voltage, so the hid's wont work.

What I would do is get a set of oem lights, pass inspection and swap them out for the hid setup. Do your disable in a way that you can access it easy and reconnect the wires so it maybe takes you an hour to go back to stock.
Wednesday, August 22, 2012 8:32 PM
What I was hoping for though is a way to use the DRL's to trigger the full 12V low beams... I don't know if I could connect some wires together at the BCM, or if there's a low beam relay under the dash somewhere. From what I can tell from my fooling around, the service light only comes on with the DRL's, and NOT with the lights on.

I've been playing with some error cancellors from TheRetrofitSource.com but anytimg I ground them the way they call for I get constant 12V on the low beams, and as a result the HID's fire even with the lights and the car off...

Thursday, August 23, 2012 1:44 PM
You could always wire aftermarket lights to come on in place of drl and disable the stock ones. That's what I did.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:20 PM
Philly D wrote:I dont believe it will work. From what I can gather our DRL's just put out a lower voltage, so the hid's wont work.

What I would do is get a set of oem lights, pass inspection and swap them out for the hid setup. Do your disable in a way that you can access it easy and reconnect the wires so it maybe takes you an hour to go back to stock.

now what if you used that lower voltage DRL wire to trigger a relay?

Here is what is in my head:

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:15 PM
I thought of that....and if the wire harness is done that way it would work. But for some reason I think they use the same wires for drls and regular power. If that works id be stoked though but we would need someone that knows more about the jbody wiring setup to reply.
Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:31 PM
could you do the drl disable and buy a set of led drl lights and just wire them to your ignition? That way your hids won't get hurt and you still have drls.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 7:58 PM
I think the LED DRL idea would be the easiest... I could hook it up to a switched power source so they would come off with the radio and everything else when I open the door... Seeing as I know dick all about J-bodies though, would somebody tell me where to go looking for such a source? Like, where did you get power for your aftermarket HU's?

And lafonjef, what kind of rims are those on your Sunfire?

Thanks guys.

Friday, August 24, 2012 4:21 AM
I'd do like above. Cheap set of stockers. Swap in for inspections. Get back. Swap to HIDs. Done.

Saturday, August 25, 2012 1:39 PM
For drl's...

Id go the first option I threw out there of gettting cheap stockers just for the inspection.

Next option would be to use a switched source like the fuel pump relay. Use that switched source to switch a set of lights on with a relay and call it done.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search