02 Sunfire tail assembly on 04 Cavalier - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
02 Sunfire tail assembly on 04 Cavalier
Sunday, May 06, 2012 11:45 AM
Okay, so I was debating how to paint my 04 tail light pieces, and decided on impulse to go with the sunfire sedan rear tail pieces i picked up at a local PNP instead. One, its already black. two, i like how the lower part in the rear dips down and its not just straight across.

only main issue I have now is, there are no reverse lights. I am planning on doing a sequential turn signal setup like the mustangs, but with only 2 sets instead of 3 (my reverse bulbs would become the inner turn signals). I know some just say to hell with the reverse lights, but trust me, you'll wish you had them when some jackass is barrelling through a parking lot and doesnt know youre going out, and not in a spot and rear ends your car. then you wont be able to fight it with insurance because you couldnt pass inspection without reverse lights to begin with. So not an option to not have one eventually.

I also picked up a bigger Z24 spoiler, but it dips down and doesnt go straight across, so I have a dilema there too. I will probably have to cut into the sunfire panel alittle, but it would look nice with both the spoiler and the panel dipping down together, and a complete custom job too! prob the only one with it in combination. My alternate spoiler (preferred) is the 3pc Brickyard style..or POSSIBLY i just saw (and have a post asking about it) an 03+ Ion 3pc from RK Sport...its perfect and goes straight across. Just dont know if the dimensions are right.

so if anyone has ever seen or done alternate reverse solutions (i dont want the Pontiac bumper) or other cars with the pontiac rear, id love to see them!

heres the before and after tail assemblies.... its not for everyone, but I really like it. I have always been a fan of the 'berger camaro' look with the black panel.

BEFORE

AFTER

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, May 06, 2012 11:49 AM

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.

Re: 02 Sunfire tail assembly on 04 Cavalier
Sunday, May 06, 2012 4:06 PM
well i like the way iy looks...but it def needs somekind of spoiler...kinda looks naked back there

Sunday, May 06, 2012 5:36 PM
What u doin for reverse lights then?

Sunday, May 06, 2012 10:39 PM
i say dremel out the chevrolet on the bumper and put a clear lens from the back side and turn it into a reverse light

Monday, May 07, 2012 12:44 AM
Looks 10x better. Nice choice.

Monday, May 07, 2012 2:20 PM
thanks, its growing on me and looks way better for sure!
not sure on the reverse, also thinking of putting something thin along one side of the license plate or above it. The chevrolet idea would be cool if i could cut out the letters and put a lense/white bulb behind it!
Daniel, I have a bigger Z24 spoiler for it, but it dips into the panel. may dremel the panel down and try to just fit the spoiler as is. my other option is finding a 3pc Brickyard that Ive always really liked. The exterior will also have a hood upgrade and the RKSport lip kit for 03-05 Cavy's.

im still sanding/polishing the panel too, also as i mentioned Im making the turn signals sequential like the mustangs when i get around to it.

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 5:19 AM
Needs more shiny... to me anyway.

But overall I'm a fan.

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 10:42 AM
You bastard, im very jealous derek, ive wanted the rk lip for a long time, its gonna look hot, cant wait to see it

Modding my j since I found the org
Wednesday, May 09, 2012 3:00 PM
thanks Alex! Yeah I think its just a nice subtle look, the RK Sport has the right lines and is aggressive but not in your face nor does it look like you're trying to win a F&F contest lol.
also got a hood but i might trade it for a diff one...but the RK Sport kit just costs more than I justify spending right now between parts/paint ($1k+). It WILL happen though.

Monday, June 04, 2012 10:50 PM
Azncav (was static) wrote:i say dremel out the chevrolet on the bumper and put a clear lens from the back side and turn it into a reverse light

or... http://www.v-leds.com/LPF-Reverse-Light/HIGH-POWER-18W-LED-BACK-p7516915.html

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 6:49 AM
Thats pretty neat man^^^^..

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 9:04 AM
2003-05 Sunfire sedan tails + Brickyard spoiler = WIN! As far as backup lights, I would mold a set into the rear bumper.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 5:45 PM
both are disgusting i would do 00-02 cav tails

JBO since July 30, 2001
Tuesday, June 05, 2012 8:26 PM
Hey derek what hood do you have, n how much for it

Modding my j since I found the org
Friday, October 12, 2012 2:47 PM
blu04DD wrote:Okay, so I was debating how to paint my 04 tail light pieces, and decided on impulse to go with the sunfire sedan rear tail pieces i picked up at a local PNP instead. One, its already black. two, i like how the lower part in the rear dips down and its not just straight across.

only main issue I have now is, there are no reverse lights. I am planning on doing a sequential turn signal setup like the mustangs, but with only 2 sets instead of 3 (my reverse bulbs would become the inner turn signals). I know some just say to hell with the reverse lights, but trust me, you'll wish you had them when some jackass is barrelling through a parking lot and doesnt know youre going out, and not in a spot and rear ends your car. then you wont be able to fight it with insurance because you couldnt pass inspection without reverse lights to begin with. So not an option to not have one eventually.

Have you made the sequential turn signals for it yet? I'm quite interested because I might do the same for my 1996 Pontiac sunfire coupe too.
Friday, October 12, 2012 11:50 PM
if your still doing sequential tail lights I have an idea that you might like i drew a sketch for a design where 2 rows of leds surround the outer part of the brake/turn signal lights, and in the middle have 3 acrylic or led arrows for turning. so turn signals and brakes would be separate which is better looking. sickhids.com makes clear crystal acrylic tail light lens in which this mod would work great for.
Sunday, October 14, 2012 6:33 PM
I have not done anything with this set up since installing it. I started sanding but I got lazy. Im worried about taking it off because the plastic tabs are weak, i dont want to break any more (wtf was GM thinking??).

I had the larger Z24 spoiler, but decided against it. Its possible to fit it without modifying the tail light panel, but I didnt like the lines. I want the brickyard, Ive decided. But for now, the wingless look is a nice sleeper look too.

I thought about some narrow fog lights or even just one, and putting them by the license plate like those LEDs Kardain suggested. Third option if I felt like being very pro-do yourself kind of work, customize the pontiac panel. but I paid good money for those 3 pcs so I dont want to do that yet.

As far as the sequential turning lights, I havent thought of how to do it yet. Remember, I already have wiring/lights in there, for the reverse. So if I can splice those into the turning lights and put a resistor in (Im not THAT good with that stuff, would have to toy with ideas), I could essentially do it with JUST modifying the wiring thats already in place. Id have it blink inner, then outter, inner, then outter, that simple. Then the brake lights would light up all of them too.

Im interested in seeing how your idea looks. Im not really a huge fan of led strings, like on headlights of Porsches, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc...but maybe thats not what you're talking about..?

Friday, October 19, 2012 8:29 AM
I think this looks great. I'm going to head down to a few pick and pulls tomorrow and see If I can find the parts. I absolutely hate my '03's back end. It's arrival blue so If I replace the decklid with and earlier year it would need painting. This seems like such a better solution, and it really does look good on a coupe. Thanks!
Saturday, October 20, 2012 12:25 AM
Maybe you could use the 03 and up 2dr sunfire reverse lights each on either side of the license plate.
Saturday, October 20, 2012 11:54 AM
I went down to the junk yard and was surprised how many 4 door Sunfires there were. Usually I can never find what I need. Anyways, I grabbed the best set they had. It cost $90. I was hoping it would be closer to $50 but the best price I could find online was $60 for each taillight and $89 for the applique, and I already spent the time pulling it so what the hell.

only problem I had installing it was the 2 lower studs didn't quite line up right so I had to oval out the holes a little. I also removed the LS badge because it was a little too close to the applique and looked funny.

I think it's a huge upgrade in looks, I always hated the stock 03+ rear.
I can still see where it used to say Pontiac, so I'm going to sand and polish everything and then add either a red Z24 bowtie or a gold cobalt bowtie. I'll probably go with gold since it's correct for an '03.

Here's some pics right after I installed it. I'll post more after I polish it and add the bowtie.

Monday, October 22, 2012 12:11 PM
yeah I agree I think that looks killer compared to the stock tail light assembly. I planned on further sanding the "PONTIAC" off but never got around to it. Its only visible in certain lightings anyways.
I dont plan on putting anything over the keyhole, I just left mine.
Im still debating how to do the reverse lights. I think Im going to extend the wiring (currently just sitting in the trunk lid with the bulbs) down to the license plate area and wire up one reverse light from like a small narrow fog light or something.
I had seen the corvette plate assemblies but they are too wide.

Definitely an upgrade in my eyes and I paid about the same. I think with tax it was like $109. My biggest gripe was the plastic cheap bolts that kept breaking with little effort. I dont know why they didnt just make them full metal like the corner lights are.

I had planned on going with the larger Z24 spoiler and painting the back part black and painting the bottom 'defuser' area of the rear lip black too, if i bought an LSS or RK Sport lip. But I sold my spoiler to keep wingless for now (looking for a 3pc in stead) and i think Im going to not go with a lip kit, at all. Mudd flaps on a 300hp (not whp)4cylinder just sounds cool

Monday, October 22, 2012 1:42 PM
I was so happy I didn't break any of the plastic tabs taking it off, but two broke putting it on. It's on there pretty good still. I had 6 broken tabs on my stock assembly and it was just fine. LOL

I have the day off on Wednesday so I'll be sanding it out then. It should look pretty good I think.

Painting the defuser part might look good. maybe I'll throw a few coats of plasti-dip on it and see how it looks.
Monday, October 22, 2012 9:02 PM
I just thought I would share this pic for you might give you some idea's

If GM only knew how great a 3400 powered Sunfire is...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search