03-05 sunfire headlights - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
03-05 sunfire headlights
Saturday, March 02, 2013 9:17 AM
hey guys, anyone else having issues with there headlights getting all hazy and clouded??? mine got really bad and i tried using the mothers wet sanding headlight restoration kit with the power ball and it seemed to work for a few months and now there hazy again. i;ve been told that the headlights have a uv protective coating on them and when you wet sand them it take that coating off and thats why they are hazing over really quick.

i was thinking about using clear coat to protect them after wet sanding them again what are your thoughts on this? and what kind of clear coat should i use? (i have no experience with paint other then rattle cans)

Re: 03-05 sunfire headlights
Saturday, March 02, 2013 9:44 AM
I'm having the same issue, seems like it got really bad this past summer and I don't want it to get any worse. I've heard that there's clears with uv protection in them but I don't know if they come in spray cans. I think checking with a body shop or auto paint supplier could answer this though.
Saturday, March 02, 2013 9:56 AM
I had the same issue,I just ordered 2 new ones.
Saturday, March 02, 2013 9:59 AM
id rather not have to order new ones as i have to get new tires and a few other things done. trying to keep costs as low as possible on this one. i can still see at night just the light output doesnt seem to be as good as it used to me.

Sunday, March 03, 2013 10:54 AM
I too have had the same problem i since have found practically brand new set at the junkyard and the old ones will now be experiments...
Wednesday, March 06, 2013 8:37 AM
Clear coat can help. Make sure to wipe them with wax and grease remover before you clear them. Get all wax and buffing material off them. The best clear is a automotive where you mix clear, reducer and hardener the spray with a gun. As for rattle cans of clear never had much luck with them. Now minwax makes a high gloss clear varnish in a silver rattle can. It can be purchased at Walmart, Lowes, Home dept. I've had really good results using the minwax as a clear. I used dupont tint and sprayed my tail lights (blacked them out) then used the minwax for a high gloss and they came out super. A word of advise always test on a peice of scrap to make sure your going to get the results you want. Something to also think about all clear coats turn yellow after so long, the better (more$$) the clear the longer it takes.
Thursday, March 07, 2013 4:05 PM
well i just found out a buddy of mine works for dent wizard now doing painted dent removal, so im just gonna wet sand them and have him clear coat them for me. is there a specific type of clear that i should be asking him to use? i hear that there are clears out there that bond to plastic better then others?

Saturday, March 09, 2013 9:12 AM
Id use a clear from ppg or other top automotive brand. They do make a adheasion promotor in a rattle can to mist on the plastic before painting. I repainted the plastic fenders on my quad and they recomended it. I don't know if it made a differance or not. I was once told clear is like marbels or bowling balls. The cheap would be like coving your car with bowling balls, lots of big holes where stuff can get down to your paint. Vs with marbles the holes between them are much smaller making a better longer lasting job.
Saturday, March 09, 2013 1:48 PM
most GM factory headlights come from the assembly line with a clear coat on them. thats what hazes over. the clear paint oxidizes in the sunlight over time. i use the turtle wax headlight restore kit to take the clear coat off. after that just regular washing keeps them looking new. been that way on mine for 5 years now

"Is that your exhaust or is that the sound of someone deflating a cat?"
Monday, March 11, 2013 7:49 PM
thanks for the info guys, gonna find out what kind of clear coat my buddie uses, and go from there.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search