can i paint my 1995-1999 cavalier projector headlights - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
can i paint my 1995-1999 cavalier projector headlights
Friday, March 08, 2013 11:47 AM
I have a set of 1-piece Projector headlights. The chrome reflectant stuff is almost all chipped off, and gone on the drivers turn signal, and the brights part. the passenger brights side is starting to chip as well, so i want to re-paint them both. Can i take the covers off? i heard pre 99 has to use the oven method, but since they're projectors, will that ruin them? I was thinking of just painting the turn sidnal part on both side black, since they dont need to be that bright, with the bumper side markers. But i dont know what to do for the brights part.

You can see the better side in my signature pic.
heres the bad side...best picture i could find...the chrome stuff is all chipped off on the drivers side, and is showing the nasty yellow plastic underneath.

"If I'm not back in 5 minutes...just wait longer"

Re: can i paint my 1995-1999 cavalier projector headlights
Saturday, March 16, 2013 1:34 PM
Bump

Saturday, March 16, 2013 2:38 PM
Yea you can do it with almost any headlight. I use a heat gun at 300 degrees when I do them. Don't bother painting them just use windex and a rag or lacquer thinner. It will take the chrome right off and leave a gloss black finish. Almost all headlights are this way. I find it odd that everyone paints them black when there is no need too.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Saturday, March 16, 2013 4:15 PM
The laquer thinner/windex will give it a glossy black finish?...But the plastic underneath is yellow/brownish. Are you sure? And is the oven method the same for my projectors?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search