fender rust suggestion - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
fender rust suggestion
Monday, May 27, 2013 7:13 PM
there is some rust starting to form on my driver side fender. its not too bad yet, but it has caused some bubbles, and its starting to break through the paint at one spot. i have been just polishing the rust away, knowing it will come back. so i need some opinions on what to do
1. attempt to fix it myself
2. take it to a body shop and have them deal with it
3.continue to just do little touch ups, and when it get too bad, buy a fiberglass fender and have a shop paint that
i will get pics of the rust up tomorrow

Re: fender rust suggestion
Monday, May 27, 2013 7:54 PM
Depending on the color of your car hit up a wrecking yard and find a fender thats the same color and in good shape.

It also depends on the kind of money you have and what kind of shape the rest of the car is in.
Monday, May 27, 2013 8:39 PM
Another cheap way is going to an autobody paint supply place and pick up an rust inhibiter and sand/ grind all the rust off apply the rust inhibiter then the paint of your car and it should look like new (if there is bigger bubbles and the surface isn't smooth you might need to use body filler)
Tuesday, May 28, 2013 4:12 PM
ive thought about dong that, but i dont think id be able to match the paint. maybe if i do that itll give me an excuse to put war stripes on the fender to distract people from the non matching paint

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 4:12 PM
about doing that*

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 5:35 PM
Philly D wrote:Depending on the color of your car hit up a wrecking yard and find a fender thats the same color and in good shape.

It also depends on the kind of money you have and what kind of shape the rest of the car is in.

x2. Never fix panels that can be removed and replaced.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:39 PM
You can get aftermarket new oem fenders for like $20.00 each

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 6:45 PM
i did some looking around and saw that. maybe ill get one of those and have a body shop paint it

Thursday, May 30, 2013 6:05 PM

this is what the fender looks like

Thursday, May 30, 2013 6:33 PM
Like I said id check your local yards and maybe Craigslist...ultra metallic silver is very common.
Thursday, May 30, 2013 7:23 PM
i guess ill start looking around then, thanks for the advice

Thursday, May 30, 2013 7:43 PM
Definitely no point in repairing that when a new/replacement can be found relatively cheap.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, June 01, 2013 6:51 PM
This is a good question tho, cause what if its on the rear quarter panel? Then what?

Straight lines are over-rated In My Opinion =]
Saturday, June 01, 2013 6:59 PM
Ninja Bling wrote:This is a good question tho, cause what if its on the rear quarter panel? Then what?

put a rag in the gas tank and light it on fire.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, June 01, 2013 8:53 PM
Its simple ,just sand the affected area with 80 grit sandpaper ,wipe away residualk dust,then sand some more with 600 grit wipe dust and clean area with paint thinner ( acetone ).Now your on bare shiny metal ,so tape off surrounding area shake the primer can ,give it a nice light coat and let dry 5 minutes and hit again .Now your ready to apply your color matched spray can .Shake it up and give it a nice light coat ,wait 5 minutes ,and hit it again .Remove your painters tape and newspaper or whatever you used to cver your car and voila ,your done! And all in Under 30 minutes...wow wasn`t that simple! Choose a nice duplicolor panit to match your cavys color and your set..

BLACKMANTIS
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search