projector headlight, service light - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
projector headlight, service light
Wednesday, July 03, 2013 6:27 PM
Have a 2005 Cavalier, Just installed projector headlights. When you click the high beam switch a flap inside the projector flips to allow more light out for high beams. Now when the car is NOT running there is no problems hi\lows work fine. When the car is running and I pull the high beam switch a service light appears on the dash and does not go out unless I shut the car off. Shut the car off service light goes out start it up without high beams on and no service light.
Why is this service light coming on? I want the service light to come on if something is wrong with the car, but not every time I hit the high beams.

Re: projector headlight, service light
Wednesday, July 03, 2013 6:51 PM
Have you disabled the drl's?
Wednesday, July 03, 2013 6:51 PM
for some reason you high beams arnt working correctly and the service light comes on. my 04 sunfire does the same thing on drl's with my hids (not enough voltage to run the hids properly) so they kick off and the service light pops on.

Thursday, July 04, 2013 3:34 PM
PhillyD,
No I did not disable the drl's. The lights Just have the plain H7 bulbs, no Hid kit. I would think if it was a problem with drl's the service light would come on when the lights are in drl mode as soon as the car is started.

Spitfire,
I just installed the original headlights and no problems, they work fine. When I installed the projector headlights the high beams work correctly low and hi, but when in hi the service light comes on if the car is running. I haven't installed HIDs yet so that can't be the problem.
Thursday, July 04, 2013 7:22 PM
Wire a relay in so it gives the hids 12 when the drls are on. It so simple. I did it to my car. Drl is 6v and that a good way to ruin a ballest that needs 9v-24v.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Thursday, July 04, 2013 7:50 PM
I thought the same as well but he is running normal halogen bulbs.

Only thing I can think of is the solenoid for the high beam is causing issues with the stock system.
Friday, July 05, 2013 6:24 PM
Yes just halogen bulbs. John B helped me out with a good Hid system with ballest, bulbs, relay harness etc but I haven't installed it yet because I need to ground the blue wire on the BCM for the drl disable first. When I hit the high beam switch the hi beams come on and its like 2-3 seconds then the service light comes on.
Can a tech II or something disable the service light for the hi beam malfunction only, but yet keep the service light functional for any other possible codes or malfunctions?
Friday, July 05, 2013 8:20 PM
Pretty sure its the solenoid. Try disconneting the solenid out of the system and see if you have the same issues. Our stock system is not designed for that to be in there.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search