Clear coat peeling off - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Clear coat peeling off
Thursday, February 12, 2009 5:50 PM
So being that my car is 8 years old this april, it decided that It didn't like the clear coat any more and is in the process of shedding it. Nice paint quality GM!

My question is can the car just have new clear shot on it or would an entire new paint job be required. It hasn't gotten too far yet but it's only a matter of time. I can post pics tomorrow if requested but I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time you've seen a J with peeling clear coat.

Re: Clear coat peeling off
Friday, February 13, 2009 4:33 AM
If it is just the clear coat that is peeling then some sanding and clear coat is all you need. If it is peeling up from the primer or ever the metal. Then sir, you have a problem.

Friday, February 13, 2009 5:59 AM
Nope, appears to be just the clear coat. Both my car and the wife's 99 are doing it.

Friday, February 13, 2009 10:59 AM
Shouldn't be to bad to fix then. Get it done before it starts to wear on the paint itself though.

Friday, February 13, 2009 2:42 PM
My 01 is doing it too

I haven't been able to take care of it as much as I wanted to in the past 5 years, so I can't blame the car.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Friday, February 13, 2009 5:59 PM
You'll be fine just reclearing the car. I had to do the same thing to my car about 2 years ago.

Friday, February 13, 2009 7:10 PM
my car is 8 years old, and the paint looks like new.... shines like a mutha

Working on obtainting an M-Class license... ?? Hint: 2 wheels.
Saturday, February 14, 2009 1:24 PM
Mines 10 yrs old.... and still looks new. But she's also been in the garage for the past 2 years and stored for winters since 05.

Saturday, February 14, 2009 2:19 PM
mines a 02 i think its been in a garage maybe 10 days since new. Black + florida - garage = fail

Sunday, February 15, 2009 5:49 AM
Throw some pics up of the damage and we can tell you better what needs to be done. Usually, you do not just put clear on over exposed base. It flaked off for a reason. And when you take down the clear you will be sanding the base wich usually requires you to lay down more sealer at the leaset and base.

Sunday, February 15, 2009 5:57 AM
Viper98912 wrote:My 01 is doing it too

I haven't been able to take care of it as much as I wanted to in the past 5 years, so I can't blame the car.

No you can blame the car. I took great care of the paint on this car. It always had wax on it. Always washed, didn't let winter salt sit on it for more than a couple days. GM paint sucks.

Sunday, February 15, 2009 6:04 AM
I'm the wife, here are the pics of my paint Other than the bird spots below, the rest just happened literally over night a few months ago. Talk about a heart crusher, I was sick to my stomach for days over this.

Driver front fender

Driver rear by the window

Driver rear by the trunk
I know the two big spots are bird related I wash it off as soon as I found it, as I used to have to do daily at my mom's house, but that wasn't good enough. Wonder what THIS bird ate! This damage started a good 8-9 years ago.

Passenger rear

I've also got some spots of rust showing up, like these shown on the roof and door, as well some on the driver's front fender

Sunday, February 15, 2009 6:23 AM
Sunday, February 15, 2009 6:33 AM
Thanks for the link Manta. My car basically looks like her fenders do only mine is on the roof. What sucks is that a new paint job would cost more than the car is worth I'm willing to bet

Sunday, February 15, 2009 8:43 AM
maaco!

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 9:57 AM
I've seen this clear coat peeling on two Sunfires that I looked at when shopping for a Sunfire. One was black, and had massive peeling directly behind the sunroof. The other was dark purple and had less severe peeling on the roof. From what I have seen in person and on the forum, this peeling only seems to be a problem on darker colors. I am wondering if the peeling is caused by the ability of the darker colors to hold heat, which would likely cause the clear to soften and bubble. Bird droppings certainly don't help matters though due to the acid in the droppings.

Jim
Wednesday, February 18, 2009 6:08 PM
ah yes the dreaded delamination your car cant have just a coat of clear applied on c`mon seriously?? it has to be repainted, its faded its peeling, pitting, needs to be repainted bottom line

can i haz bondo
Thursday, February 19, 2009 9:34 AM
Whats funny is that I noticed this on mine one day at work. And when I went to go home the car broke down and wouldn't start.
Friday, February 20, 2009 8:41 AM
I'll post more pics later on, looks like my roof is going to give up now as well. It wouldn't shine right for a while now, even after a wax, but this morning it seemed to look even worse. It sickens me to see it just falling apart when I know I took care of it. Top notch GM quality I tell ya. My Subaru, same year, way more miles, always driven in garbage conditions looks WAY better than all 3 of our GM vehicles.

big daddy wrote:ah yes the dreaded delamination your car cant have just a coat of clear applied on c`mon seriously?? it has to be repainted, its faded its peeling, pitting, needs to be repainted bottom line

His car doesn't look exactly like the pictures of my car posted above. His paint doesn't look as faded as mine if I remember correctly. Although, I'm sure a repaint would be in order. It's hard to justify a cosmetic repair that costs more than the car is worth. I'm going to watch mine fall apart

Friday, February 20, 2009 2:33 PM
And as I mentioned, the beautiful pics of my roof just taken a few minutes ago...

Spot #1

Spot #2

Here's from the front of the car, they are both in the middle, one behind the other, each about the size of my hand with the fingers spread out

Different angle, kind of hard to show it with the reflection. The first spot is obvious in this shot, the 2nd is to the right of the tree in the top left.

Freaking disgusting to look at

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search