Lambo doors for the cavalier - Exterior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Lambo doors for the cavalier
Friday, May 22, 2009 2:07 PM
I bought a set of lambo doors off a guy from the forum here and they were direct bolt up. Bolted up great. But when I open the door it pops up alittle right away. Then I gotta push down on the door some to get it shut. My buddy and I were thinking It might be the shocks. The shocks that are on it are 750lb shocks. Were thinking there alittle to strong for the doors. Just wondering what shocks anyone that has lambo doors might be using? Also my one shock is worn out and Im trying to find another one but dunno what company made them. The guy I bought them from dont remember where they got them because he did it for a group buy on the forum. He did say the people they went through was WINKS if anyone has any information on this place and you please help me out. Thanks

Re: Lambo doors for the cavalier
Saturday, May 23, 2009 6:49 AM
750lbs should be fine, that's what mine were. The hinge itself may need a little grinded off of the inner diameter, that's what I did to mine because I also had to push down on mine at first to close it all the way...after I took off a little of the edge they fit and closed perfectly.

Saturday, May 23, 2009 7:07 AM
ull be glad that u have those shocks when the doors are up they focus the weight more into a smaller area and the shocks will support that. ive upgraded 3xs before i got a set that held.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 12:20 PM
how much you paind for the lambo ? isnt it easier to make your own? ;p
Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:27 PM
I had to get 650 for mine, but that's because I have a four door, not a two door. As for the little bump up when you open, I'd do what Evilution said, trim off some of the inner diameter slowly and you'll get what you need. I had to do it a little bit more when I bought mine, but they align up perfectly now.

Also, depending on the type of shocks you may be able to let out a little gas out of the shock to make them a little bit lighter, but I don't suggest doing that.

I'm not going anywhere just yet

R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan '81-'09
Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:55 PM
Rafal Koscielniak wrote:how much you paind for the lambo ? isnt it easier to make your own? ;p

wouldnt really recomend making your own.

the engineering is already done on them, i dont know why you would want to start it all over again.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:20 PM
check ebay for shocks i got a set for 60 shipped

Friday, August 14, 2009 8:15 PM
Hmm, I remember this when i had my 2002 Ls Sport. I had the MMS lambo kit, and there is a adjustment screw on the hinge that bolts to the door, not the body. if that is adjusted correctly then it should open and close with no problems. And just as a fe other ppl in here said, the 750's are just fine for a 2 door, and 650's for a 4 door. Trust me, you will need the 750's for a 2 door, those things are stupidly heavy. If you needing to push on the door, or lift, then something is not right. Im not sure about the gridning as i didnt need to do that to mine (i had the mms kit back when they went on sale through a GP here in the forums), so i have alot of experience with these, good and bad. Just make sure you adjust them at least 2 times a year, bc they will fall outta adjustment, and bang your doors. Good luck!

Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:01 AM
Where you located, I'll come fix 'em for you

I'm not going anywhere just yet

R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan '81-'09
Monday, August 31, 2009 6:39 PM
Hi,

I have recently installed a scissor door and the door is quite heavy to lift with one hand and my girl has to lift it with two. My mechanic told me the choice is either either to lift and hard to close or hard to lift and easy to close. I'm driving a suzuki swift 4 doors and I from the above post(s) it seem the shock has to be 650LB? Would it be difficult to close?
Tuesday, September 01, 2009 6:17 PM
650ln should be a good balance for sedan doors (or smaller doors in general)...We put 650lbs on my friend's Del Sol and I think it was just right for the lift and for closing with ease

Tuesday, September 01, 2009 7:24 PM
I was told the shock is of 250 newton, thus I did an online conversion to pound-force and end up with 56LBS? I wonder if the information provided by my mechanic was incorrect or I did a wrong conversion.

Based on your experience, is it possible to lift and hold the door with just 56LBS? I can leave the door hanging halfway without it falling down.
Wednesday, September 02, 2009 4:16 PM
I think you may have the wrong info from your mechanic...I've never heard of kits having much less than a 550lb shock minimum.

I don't think a 56lb shock would hold your door, I think even ones used for trunks and hoods are a higher rating. In this case, the pounds (56, 550, whatever) is referring to the psi of the gas in the shock, not how much weight the shock will support (ie the 750lbs shocks I used meant they had 750 pounds of pressure per square inch - there was no way they would have held anything up that weighs 750lbs)

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 6:06 PM
EVILution wrote:I think you may have the wrong info from your mechanic...I've never heard of kits having much less than a 550lb shock minimum.

I don't think a 56lb shock would hold your door, I think even ones used for trunks and hoods are a higher rating. In this case, the pounds (56, 550, whatever) is referring to the psi of the gas in the shock, not how much weight the shock will support (ie the 750lbs shocks I used meant they had 750 pounds of pressure per square inch - there was no way they would have held anything up that weighs 750lbs)

It make sense now. He was telling me it could hold up to 250kg. Is there any way I can check the lb on the shock, like is there a label or indicator somewhere?
Wednesday, September 02, 2009 6:18 PM
Should be a label on the shock, most have one with the brand, part #, and weight rating. If not, then you're gonna be guessing.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search