Chevrolet Announces Pricing For Turbocharged Cobalt SS - News Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Chevrolet Announces Pricing For Turbocharged Cobalt SS
Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:33 PM on
DETROIT - Powered by a 260-horsepower (194 kW) turbocharged and intercooled 2.0L Ecotec engine, the Cobalt SS delivers a balance of track-proven performance capability, driving refinement and premium features. Offered exclusively with a five-speed manual transmission, it is also an efficient performer, delivering an estimated 30 mpg in highway driving – the best among top competitors.

That combination of performance, features and efficiency comes with a MSRP of $22,995, including a $660 destination charge. The Cobalt SS is well equipped at that price, including standard air conditioning, Pioneer premium sound system, remote keyless entry, StabiliTrak electronic stability control system, OnStar and XM Satellite Radio.

Re: Chevrolet Announces Pricing For Turbocharged Cobalt SS
Wednesday, March 19, 2008 1:34 PM on
Chevrolet Announces Pricing For The Turbocharged Cobalt SS

DETROIT - Powered by a 260-horsepower (194 kW) turbocharged and intercooled 2.0L Ecotec engine, the Cobalt SS delivers a balance of track-proven performance capability, driving refinement and premium features. Offered exclusively with a five-speed manual transmission, it is also an efficient performer, delivering an estimated 30 mpg in highway driving – the best among top competitors.

That combination of performance, features and efficiency comes with a MSRP of $22,995, including a $660 destination charge. The Cobalt SS is well equipped at that price, including standard air conditioning, Pioneer premium sound system, remote keyless entry, StabiliTrak electronic stability control system, OnStar and XM Satellite Radio.

Major options include a sunroof ($750), high-wing rear spoiler ($150) and a limited-slip differential ($495).

The Cobalt SS coupe is expected to arrive in dealerships in late April.

Maximum performance on the street or track

The Cobalt SS delivers a quick 0-60 time of approximately 5.7 seconds – thanks to the engine’s “no-lift shift” calibration – and an impressive maximum lateral grip of 0.9 g. This combination enabled the Cobalt SS to set a new class record when running the famed Nürburgring racing circuit, posting a time of 8:22.85 minutes.

Ride and handing are supported by an all-new FE5 Sport suspension, with specific stabilizer bars, spring rates and damper tuning – all designed to complement the high-output turbocharged powertrain and mitigate afflictions such as torque steer. Driver-selectable modes help maximize performance whether on the street or track.

Four-wheel disc brakes with standard ABS help ensure the car stops as confidently as it accelerates and corners. The front brakes are from Brembo and have a performance-oriented, fixed-caliper design, which resists fade better than floating caliper designs; the rear discs are vented for better heat dissipation. Large, twin-five-spoke 18-inch forged aluminum wheels and performance tires are standard. They’re mounted on 225/40-series Continental summer tires.

The Cobalt SS is also equipped with a host of standard safety features, including the StabiliTrak electronic stability control system and side-impact air bags.

Cobalt SS style

The Cobalt SS is distinguished on the exterior with several unique features, including a distinctive, air dam-style front fascia with integrated projector-beam fog lamps. New front upper and lower grilles sport an SS-specific diamond-mesh appearance; and SS-specific rockers and badging adorn the body sides.

A standard deck lid spoiler can be replaced with an optional high-wing aero enhancement. Also at the rear is a prominent, bright-tip exhaust outlet.

Inside the Cobalt SS are SS-embroidered sport seats with suede-like UltraLux inserts, a specific gauge cluster, an A-pillar-mounted turbo boost gauge and a specific shifter arrangement.

Chevrolet is one of America’s best-known and best-selling automotive brands. With the largest dealer network in the United States, Chevy is the leader in full-size trucks and the leader in sales of vehicles priced $35,000 and above. Chevrolet delivers more-than-expected value in every vehicle category, offering cars and trucks priced from $9,995 to $83,175. Chevy delivers expressive design, spirited performance and great value with standard features usually found only on more expensive vehicles. More information on Chevrolet can be found at www.chevrolet.com.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Tuesday, April 01, 2008 8:16 AM on
oh god i wish....

Thursday, April 03, 2008 4:14 PM on
thats swwt i want one

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE, i have already died once and im still here so lets just leave it on the track
Wednesday, April 30, 2008 8:35 AM on
Info I got from work...

Turbocharger Description & Operation wrote:This BorgWarner™ dual-scroll turbocharger is mounted on the exhaust manifold and the lightweight turbine is driven by the waste energy generated by the flow of the exhaust gases. The turbine is connected by a shaft to the compressor which is mounted in the induction system of the engine. The compressor vanes compress the intake air above atmospheric pressure, thereby greatly increasing the density of the air entering the engine. The turbocharger is capable of producing up to 20 psi or 1.40 bar, of power-enhancing boost.

The TC incorporates a wastegate that is controlled by a pressure differential, that is determined by the engine control module (ECM) by means of a PWM solenoid, in order to regulate the pressure ratio of the compressor. A charge air bypass valve also controlled by the ECM by utilizing a remotely mounted solenoid is integrated into the unit to prevent compressor surging and damage from vibrations by opening during abrupt closed throttle conditions. When the bypass valve is open during closed throttle deceleration conditions, the bypass valve allows the air to recirculate in the turbocharger and maintain compressor speed. Within a calibrated range during the closed throttle event, or upon a wide open throttle command the bypass valve will then close to optimize turbo response.

The turbocharger is connected to the engine oiling system by a supply and drain tube and Mobil 1™ synthetic oil is installed at the factory. Synthetic oil is required for its friction-reducing capabilities and high-temperature performance. There is a cooling system circuit in the turbocharger that utilizes the engine coolant to further reduce operating temperatures.

J-Body Club of Ontario (JCO)
Sunday, October 12, 2008 12:22 PM on
I hope this new cobalt last longer than the old one

Hopefuly it can do what the Neon SRT wasn't able to do
Wednesday, November 05, 2008 11:11 AM on
my best friend is picking one up in the spring..ill take some vids and post them up for you guys..he will prob have me ask you guys some questions about it, so be prepared...
Thursday, November 06, 2008 9:36 PM on
ya im looking at one in the spring also

Sunday, December 07, 2008 4:42 PM on
Just picked mine up last Saturday. I got a Silver 2009 SS fully loaded (with all the few options that are available for it). It has done nothing but impress me. Still just breaking it in. I have yet to try the no-lift shifting or the launch control. Once i have broken it in I will try these features. The car for me is really easy to drive(only manual i have driven was Diesel truck). The steering is tight and very responsive.

I'll fill you guys in more when i have broken it in more.

2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged Coupe (2500 Miles)
2001 Chevy Cavalier Coupe (SOLD) (86,000 Miles)
1989 Ford Bronco 5.8L 351W (107,000 Miles)
Monday, September 28, 2009 6:35 AM on
i love the new tc cobalt, my brother picked one up and put a tune on it and made 301hp and 375 tp love it

Sunday, December 27, 2009 12:30 PM on
May be this new cobalt last longer than the old one but

Hopefuly it can do what the Neon SRT wasn't able to do....

dupon registry

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search