9/10th of a cent per gallon of gas - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
9/10th of a cent per gallon of gas
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 3:08 PM on j-body.org
So what’s the deal.

There is no other industry that I know of, that splits the penny into 10ths.

The gas station up the street charges $2.43 and 9/10 of a cent per gallon.

If you were to buy 5 gallons you should be charged:
$12.15 for the normal dollar amount.
Factor in the 9/10th of a cent per gallon and that’s an extra 4 cents and 5/10th i.e. ½ a cent more.

Obviously you have never seen a receipt that splits the penny. In this case $12.19 and ½ cent

Why? They round up and charge you $12.20 for those 5 gallons that technically you should only pay 12.19 and ½ a cent for.

I understand that since it is liquid, even a milliliter of gas has a cent or fraction of a cent value.

That doesn’t change the fact that Americans, over the years are paying millions of dollars for gasoline they are not getting.

I do not appreciate a system in which I am getting $12.19 and ½ a cent worth of gasoline but getting charged for $12.20 worth of gasoline.

Creative Draft Art Media Forums

Re: 9/10th of a cent per gallon of gas
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 3:15 PM on j-body.org
If you really want to split hairs, calculate how much gas you should be getting at the 9/10 a cent and watch the gas gauge on the pump. It splits it down to 4 decimal places. You're not getting shortchanged on 9/10 of a cent on each gallon. It all works out in the end.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 3:36 PM on j-body.org
Speak for yourself, in Canada everything is to the cent, for example $0.80 per liter of gas. Only in the States have I seen pennies split.

Slo2pt2 (Projekt Unknown?) wrote:One my SON is ADHD N.O.S and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. I will nto medicate him he will battle throught this himself and learn to control it.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 4:16 PM on j-body.org
FieryOne wrote:If you really want to split hairs, calculate how much gas you should be getting at the 9/10 a cent and watch the gas gauge on the pump. It splits it down to 4 decimal places. You're not getting shortchanged on 9/10 of a cent on each gallon. It all works out in the end.

i am fully aware of that and is why i said:

Quote:

I understand that since it is liquid, even a milliliter of gas has a cent or fraction of a cent value.

however this does not make things work out in the end.

At precisely 1 gallon of gasoline which on the gas gauge pump would read 1.0000 (4 zeroes)you are being charged in the case of the gas station up the street from me $2.43 and 9/10 of a cent. If I was to buy only EXACTLY 1 gallon of gasoline i would be overcharged by 1/10 of a cent because they round up 2.43 and 9/10 of a cent/gallon to 2.44

If you start to think about that 1/10 of a cent overcharge per gallon of gas and the 1/10 of a cent per gallon added profit oil companies are making it adds up REAL fast.

Why is this allowed? How are they allowed to advertise that they are going to charge me 2.43 and 9/10th of a cent per gallon but actually charge me 2.44? false advertising? thievery? whatever you call it it isnt right.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 4:24 PM on j-body.org
whoa, are you just figuring this out?

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 4:26 PM on j-body.org
Because the federal government has a set tax in place of 37.9 cents per gallon, no matter how many gallons or what price per gallon.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 4:44 PM on j-body.org
i thought that 9/10 of a cent went back to early days of cars. gas stations would try to show you that you get more for your money or something like that.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 5:02 PM on j-body.org
Rosario wrote:whoa, are you just figuring this out?

just because I bring up a subject does not mean i just found out about it.

Kardain wrote:Because the federal government has a set tax in place of 37.9 cents per gallon, no matter how many gallons or what price per gallon.

while that is WHY the price is such it does not say anything for why we dont get the gas we pay for.

if 1 gallon is 2.43 and 9/10th then thats what i want to pay since that is what i ACTUALLY got. I dont want to pay another 1/10 of a cent for something i did not get. That is not right.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 5:11 PM on j-body.org
Are you serious?

Wow.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 6:00 PM on j-body.org
Nathaniel O'Flaherty wrote:

Kardain wrote:Because the federal government has a set tax in place of 37.9 cents per gallon, no matter how many gallons or what price per gallon.

while that is WHY the price is such it does not say anything for why we dont get the gas we pay for.

if 1 gallon is 2.43 and 9/10th then thats what i want to pay since that is what i ACTUALLY got. I dont want to pay another 1/10 of a cent for something i did not get. That is not right.

How about interest rates and sales tax as well? Care to add those to the list since they follow the same pattern?

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 6:23 PM on j-body.org
Ask for a tenth of a cent reimbursement

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 7:09 PM on j-body.org
WannaBzee (aka BadAceDesign) wrote:Ask for a tenth of a cent reimbursement

.... whilst using a pirate voice: "Arrr matey. Where be me pieces of dolla?"

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 8:25 PM on j-body.org
Shane OBizzle(ShOBiz) wrote:Are you serious?

Wow.

I can understand why you are saying wow,

but also I can understand where he is coming from.

It may not seem like alot for the one consumer that isn't getting the 1/10 cent worth of gas. However, that adds up to millions of dollars within a month or two. Think of how many people fill up every day..... alot. Think of how many of those 1/10 of a cent aren't being accounted for.

It seems trivial, but adds up after a while.

It's not something I really worry about when I pump gas though.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 10:06 PM on j-body.org
This is an old school practice that is no longer followed and claimed to be "to expensive to implement" by oil companies.

Gasoline, like any liquid, expands with heat. Government weights and measures standards use "temperature corrected" figures to make sure the pumps are pumping the stated amount of fuel, based on the ambient air temperature. The gas pumps themselves, however, are not required by law to be "tempurature corrected". So when it's 100 degrees out in the summer, you are getting "less fuel per gallon" than you get when it is 30 degrees out in the winter.

The tenths-of-a-cent portion of the cost of a gallon of fuel was added decades ago and was meant to be adjusted to account for the difference in volume of fuel based on temperature. This practice was abandoned a long time ago when the oil companies determined that they could get away with not doing it simply because nobody cared about an extra twenty cents added to the cost of a twenty gallon tank of gas. Once they abandoned the "adjusted cost" policy, they simply bumped it to 9/10 to maximize their profits.

To describe it more effectively, take a "real" gallon of fuel that is 60 degrees F. That gallon of fuel has a volume of 231.0 cubic inches. Take that same gallon of fuel and raise it's temperature to 100 degrees. It will now have a volume of 236.6 cubic inches. However, the measuring devices in fuel pumps are based on volume, and not corrected for temperature. That means that if it's 100 degrees out, instead of getting a "real" gallon of fuel, you will only be getting 0.9763 gallons. In a 20 gallon tank, that means you will pay for 20 gallons, but only get 19.526 gallons of fuel... just because it's hot out. Since federal and state taxes on fuel are levied per gallon and not as a percentage of cost, this leads to interesting questions about over-taxation, to say nothing of overcharging by oil companies. Imagine the outrage if people realized they were being charged more during the "peak travel months" for gas, but actually getting less than they were paying for.

What does this mean to us? Not much, individually. Each of us spends somewhere between 10 and 50 cents extra on each tank of gas due to this outdated policy. Nationally, last year alone this is estimated to account for over $100M in additional revenue for oil companies. Imagine that.

"Tax them a little tiny bit at a time and they'll never notice"

09:f9:11:02:9d:74:e3:5b:d8:41:56:c5:63

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 10:33 PM on j-body.org
Kardain wrote:
Nathaniel wrote:

How about interest rates and sales tax as well? Care to add those to the list since they follow the same pattern?

actually they dont. interest rates and sales tax are percent taxes. so that doesnt work in the exact same way as this situation. it can still end up splitting pennies but not in the same way.

but yes ANY situation in which i pay more than what i should technically be charged because the gvnmt is splitting pennies and then rounding up, i have a MAJOR problem with.

and everyone should.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 10:48 PM on j-body.org
WannaBzee (aka BadAceDesign) wrote:Ask for a tenth of a cent reimbursement

exactly.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 11:52 PM on j-body.org
Who cares honestly... its only a friggen penny.

Thursday, November 02, 2006 12:14 AM on j-body.org
Ty (teh Otaku) wrote:Who cares honestly... its only a friggen penny.

No... it's 1/10th of a penny.

Thursday, November 02, 2006 4:39 AM on j-body.org
Glace wrote:Speak for yourself, in Canada everything is to the cent, for example $0.80 per liter of gas. Only in the States have I seen pennies split.

Nope.. Sunoco and a couple others carry 3 decimal places .. IE: $0.857/L or whatever.. Not an US only thing at all.

PAX
Thursday, November 02, 2006 6:53 AM on j-body.org
Ty (teh Otaku) wrote:Who cares honestly... its only a friggen penny.

it adds up to be MILLIONS of dollars worth of gas the US person doesnt get. and MILLIONS of dollars of profit to the oil companies they shouldnt be getting.

so your ok with giving oil companies millions of dollars for gas nobody gets? AND they still raise the prices like mad?

who cares honestly? everyone should. dont be so selfish to only thing how much it costs YOU. think about how much it is costing the american public. and then be pissed.

Thursday, November 02, 2006 7:15 AM on j-body.org
Glace wrote:Speak for yourself, in Canada everything is to the cent, for example $0.80 per liter of gas. Only in the States have I seen pennies split.

Every Gas station in southern/Eastern Ontario, western quebec, shows the price of gas as $0.XXX/L (actually C/L, but i couldn't find the cents symbol even in word...example right now 77.4 C/L...= 77 cents and 4/10ths of a penny per litre of gasoline

just scrolled up and saw "hahaha's post.."..very similar

Thursday, November 02, 2006 7:38 AM on j-body.org
It's the same way with every other pricing trend. You don't pay $40 for something, you pay $39.99. The human brain sees the "39.xx" price as being a better deal than $40, even if it is just one penny.

So, when you are at the gas pump, your brain tells you you are paying 2.07 per gallon, when technically you're paying 2.08 after factoring in the 9/10 of a cent.

So, the company can get you to pay a cent more (for practical purposes), while realistically we think of it as a cent less.

Don't expect it to change, because there were tests done a long time ago that showed brain patterns after reactions to different pricing schemes.

Thursday, November 02, 2006 7:01 PM on j-body.org
Nathaniel O'Flaherty wrote:

actually they dont. interest rates and sales tax are percent taxes. so that doesnt work in the exact same way as this situation. it can still end up splitting pennies but not in the same way.

but yes ANY situation in which i pay more than what i should technically be charged because the gvnmt is splitting pennies and then rounding up, i have a MAJOR problem with.

and everyone should.

Percentage taxes or flat rate taxes... you still end up splitting pennies.

Friday, November 03, 2006 9:00 AM on j-body.org
Correct^

but a percent tax you have no choice because the percent tax does the calculations. and if it happens to split pennies than thats the way the math worked.

however when oil companies and the government purposely split pennies just because they can that isnt right.

Cheese (WL) wrote:It's the same way with every other pricing trend. You don't pay $40 for something, you pay $39.99. The human brain sees the "39.xx" price as being a better deal than $40, even if it is just one penny.

So, when you are at the gas pump, your brain tells you you are paying 2.07 per gallon, when technically you're paying 2.08 after factoring in the 9/10 of a cent.

So, the company can get you to pay a cent more (for practical purposes), while realistically we think of it as a cent less.

Don't expect it to change, because there were tests done a long time ago that showed brain patterns after reactions to different pricing schemes.

right of course. thats why you never see ANYTHING on the dollar. $39.99 isnt splitting pennies tho.

and charging 9/10ths of a cent but charging you a full cent isnt just a brain psycology trick. it is ACTUALLY charging us for GAS we are NOT getting.

Friday, November 03, 2006 9:40 AM on j-body.org
They probably just round up to the next cent anyway.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search