Florida Teacher Fired for Fornication - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Florida Teacher Fired for Fornication
Wednesday, June 09, 2010 1:21 PM on j-body.org
This from AOL news.

Nation
Fla. School Dismisses Teacher for 'Fornication'Updated: 1 hour 22 minutes ago
.Print Text Size EmailMoreHugh Collins

AOL News (June 9) -- A Florida teacher alleges that she was fired from her job instructing fourth-graders at a Christian school because she got pregnant before marriage -- an act school authorities labeled "fornication."

Jarretta Hamilton, 39, admitted to school authorities at Southland Christian School in St. Cloud, Fla., in 2009 that she had conceived before her marriage in April of that year. One week after requesting maternity leave, she was unemployed.

"It's obviously marital status discrimination," Ed Gay, Hamilton's attorney, told AOL News. "They admitted that if she had conceived during the marriage she would've remained in employment."

School Principal Jon Ennis declined to comment on the case and told AOL News that the school was seeking legal counsel.

In a letter to Gay dated July 2009, the school said that Hamilton was not fired because she was pregnant, but because of "fornication, sex outside of marriage." The letter, which Gay provided to AOL News, says that Hamilton agreed in her job application to uphold standards related to the school's values.

"We request that Jarretta withdraw her case and consider the testimony of the Lord," the letter said.

Hamilton, who was hired in January 2008, is suing the school, seeking compensation for lost pay and emotional distress, Gay said. They also plan to prosecute the school for invasion of privacy after school authorities informed parents about the details of the case, including why Hamilton was let go.

"The facts of her situation were around the school before we, management, even knew anything about it," the letter said. "Since this is a Christian school, parents want to know why their child's teacher left so abruptly."

Gay said that the religious nature of the school did not provide any shelter from charges of discrimination.

"This is not a church, it's a school," Gay said. "Even if it's based on church beliefs, it's still a school."
Filed under: Nation
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

2010 AOL Inc. All Rights Reserved.

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart

Re: Florida Teacher Fired for Fornication
Wednesday, June 09, 2010 1:23 PM on j-body.org
I'm thinking someone from David Gibbs' law firm will be picking this one up pro bono......and will win.

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Wednesday, June 09, 2010 6:53 PM on j-body.org
Hey, blue's my color.

On topic, it's a private school, and they have the right to set the standards, but it would need to be in her contract. It states that she agreed in her job application to uphold standards related to the school's values, so they may have a leg to stand on here. However, if it's not in her contract, they'll lose.

Regardless of your feelings on the subject matter, you would have to admit that a private school is within reason to require it's teachers to obey the rules they teach.

Friday, June 11, 2010 5:25 AM on j-body.org
im always on the fence about these types of incidents. i do think a business should have the ability to fire someone they dont want working there, but stuff like this seems so flimsy. i guess it comes down to how the contract was spelled out really. think im fine with her being let go but see it as shady on the schools part to tell all the parents why she was let go. unless it was something related to their kids it should be a private matter between the school and the teacher.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, June 11, 2010 6:26 PM on j-body.org
in contract fire, if not repeal. teaching at a christian school and getting knocked up unmarried goes against the ethos the parents obviously wanted their kids to have. not that I adhere, but it is a matter of principle for them. Look at public schools and how many kids are knocked up, if you paid x dollars to send your kids somewhere it was not as prevalent you would probably be pissed

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:11 AM on j-body.org
1. private school.

2. not following the law of the lord

3. she violated her contract to follow the law of the lord

4. she's going to hell J/K!!
Wednesday, June 16, 2010 11:15 PM on j-body.org
Oh I think that the school is well within their legal rights to fire her. Contracts are contracts. She agreed to such standards - silly as they may be she signed the paperwork. If she didn't want to, she could have just gone to work at another school. Accordingly, she may now do the same. She has no sympathy from me.

As for this being the "right" thing for the school to do I say - "let ye who is without sin cast the first pink slip."

But it is their right to be self righteous hypocrites.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:48 AM on j-body.org
Mike Demo (Civic Eater) wrote:in contract fire, if not repeal. teaching at a christian school and getting knocked up unmarried goes against the ethos the parents obviously wanted their kids to have. not that I adhere, but it is a matter of principle for them. Look at public schools and how many kids are knocked up, if you paid x dollars to send your kids somewhere it was not as prevalent you would probably be pissed

you just say that she was let go. its a personal matter between the school and the teacher. not something to be spread around town like gossip.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Sunday, July 11, 2010 11:34 AM on j-body.org
I find the whole situation extremely awkward, but for me, it comes down to this:

The teacher is a dumbass. You accept a position at a religiously-affiliated organization, you inherently expect to be held to the moral code of that organization...and expect trouble if you do not. The man who impregnated her should carry the burden of her new-found joblessness. I am sure she can find employment again at a non-religious organization who will accept her. And if she cannot, well...the baby-daddy then totes the responsibility of his tadpoles hitting the mark.

* bangs gavel * Case closed. NEXT!

P.S.: I am not a religious conservative. I don't disapprove of sex, or even childbearing, outside of wedlock. I am, however, a pragmatist, and this woman apparently is not, nor is she willing to bear the burden of her own personal choices. As such, she disappoints me.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 2:32 PM on j-body.org
stop trollin grandpa

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:14 PM on j-body.org
Mike Demo (Civic Eater) wrote:stop trollin grandpa

Well, no, not yet. At 48, my kids are still too young to have given me grandchildren! But if you have nothing left to play but that "old" card, then thank you for admitting you suck at this.

Monday, July 19, 2010 1:23 AM on j-body.org
Take Back the Republican Party wrote:

Well, no, not yet. At 48, my kids are still too young to have given me grandchildren! But if you have nothing left to play but that "old" card, then thank you for admitting you suck at this.
Tell that to kids having kids who have kids. Grandpas are getting younger and younger. When people are grandparents at age 26 or so, you'd be tempted to think the Middle Ages have returned. Of course you'd probably be long dead by now in that case.

as for your responce -
U mad little boy?

That might have been more like it. My best friend is 8 days older than me, so naturally I call him old man etc, he calls me young punk etc. Bill man, you need to just roll with the jabs.

Monday, July 19, 2010 4:11 AM on j-body.org
bk3k wrote: Bill man, you need to just roll with the jabs.

Heh, this IS how I roll...I jab back, but in my way. I take great pleasure in seeing people reduced to such lame insults, and I like to point that out. I'd think you'd be used to this by now!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search