Mind if I Rant A Little, Convince me to Keep my J! - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Mind if I Rant A Little, Convince me to Keep my J!
Monday, March 27, 2006 1:49 PM
Okay I was just talking to my old man, he thinks I am stupid with this Cavalier thing. I have so much to do on it and I am contemplating just quitting. Right now I have three body kits, Import Fighter, SS Type two and razzi side skirts, and my stock Z stuff. I want a type J rear or whole kit but cant get one, and I dont really like my kits I have now. I want to have the car painted sunburst metallic and I have the painter coming over tonight for a quote.

As the car sits it has no body kit or bumpers, GM SC tranny with 18K on it, Tenzo seats, lowered wheels, spun bearing.

The reason I want a different rear is because I want urethane and I want to run camaro mufflers to quiet it down a little.

I built a motor for the car with forged internals, JE pistons, Eagle rods, .020 over bore cam swap the whole bit. I have the 2.6 inch pulley but I am going to get the 2.5. I have alky injection on the way and have a huge list of things to install.

New built motor
Apexi SAFC 2
Cartech FMU
Smaller Pulley
255 LPH Fuel Pump
Camaro Muffler
C6 tips
Magnaflow resonator
Bigger injectors
body kit
audio speakers
bod kits
paint
Fiberglass bezzel for three guages.

Things I need to buy is

New pulley
injectors
paint job
type j or better rear (Anyone know of good rears to accomodate dual exhaust? TELL ME)

I COULD - Put the car back to stock, sell it for 4500-5,000$ (1998 Z24 5 Speed Vert 61K) fix the motor which only has 41K on it,

Sell the
GM SC
Tenzo Rs
IF kit
SS Kit
Razzi Sides
Wheels W/ Brand New tires
Springs
Alky Kit
2.6/2.7 Pulleys
Apexi SAFC - 2
Cartech FMU
255 LPH Fuel Pump
Camaro Muffler
C6 tips
Clarion DVD player
Magnaflow resonator
Bigger injectors
body kit
audio speakers
My brand new never run built motor and other cavy parts
and probably have about 7-8,000 after I sell everything

Please convince me to keep my J, it just seems like a never ending pit, it is my first car and I have paid for everything by myself. I always hear keep your first car but its like a drug. Maybe I will be happy with the end product, but I want a car that rides nice so I am probably going to hhave to get konis, thats another 500$, I have to blow on a loud bumpy, unreliable car.

I just dont know what to do, I hate to seem like a whiny pain but what would others do in this situation?

Thanks for letting me rant
Chris

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible

Re: Mind if I Rant A Little, Convince me to Keep m
Monday, March 27, 2006 3:15 PM
part some stuff out and sell it

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/676422/1
Monday, March 27, 2006 3:36 PM
you have to keep it. its my favorite vert. you've got the perfect combination, 5 speed, supercharged, and topless. 5 speed verts are hard to come by.

Monday, March 27, 2006 4:40 PM
I know it's not what you want to hear since you came here for advice, but you're the only one that can convince yourself to keep the car. We all hit "walls" with our cars. I've been tempted many times to sell my car.....But, then I convince myself to keep it. Many people will tell you "Why do you do so much to a car?" and "Why do you dump so much money into it?" It's a hobby, an art and a passion that not many people understand.

If it was my car, I would part out a few pieces that you wouldn't mind giving up, buy a nice set of Koni's and ride it and enjoy it...........

Monday, March 27, 2006 4:52 PM
You are not married and you don't have kids, right? You are 19! Make the car exactly how you want it and be happy. My dad had several vettes, camaros, el caminos, and a couple 57's. He thought I was wasting all my time and money on a cheap 4 cylinder economy car, and I'm over the hill. There are no real cars anymore like back in their day. Life will catch up with you soon enough, don't be affraid to spend a little while you can. Make your car the best it can be if you realy like it. Then buy a cheap beater for $1500 to drive in bad weather.

^CLICK ME TO SEE HOW I BUILT EVERYTHING^ How To in Interior Forum
Monday, March 27, 2006 4:58 PM
^^ What he said

Monday, March 27, 2006 5:01 PM
^^if it's like he said then stop worrying about @!#$

im only 19, this is what i like to do, i love crusing in a modded car, going to shows, the drag strip, hell even sometimes working on it.

so if you enjoy it then don't stop, if you absolutly sick it will just loose that joy and you will know.

Monday, March 27, 2006 7:49 PM
Be like Lenko. Keep the car.

Monday, March 27, 2006 7:52 PM
Dude, I feel you. I'm pissed at my car. I decided to keep it and in a couple years buy a motorcycle. It's a working plan.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2265283
Monday, March 27, 2006 8:44 PM
I started to sell my parts off in dec... but then i couldn't watch some 16yr old trash it in the condition she is in, so i decided to continue with her and just go balls to the wall. Even if i have to replace everything on her. For a 99 it only has 58K miles on it, and everything looks mint. Think of it this way... would you want to see some kid just beat the piss out of something you probably slaved and loss blood over?... I sure as hell don't.

Monday, March 27, 2006 8:55 PM
I would keep it, you have the potential to do so many things there. AND 5 Speed Vert?? Thats hot!
Quote:

Make the car exactly how you want it and be happy. My dad had several vettes, camaros, el caminos, and a couple 57's. He thought I was wasting all my time and money on a cheap 4 cylinder economy car, and I'm over the hill. There are no real cars anymore like back in their day. Life will catch up with you soon enough, don't be affraid to spend a little while you can. Make your car the best it can be if you realy like it.

And you know there really aren't any muscle cars anymore....
Just my 2 cents
-James

Oooh rear swaybar action!

Monday, March 27, 2006 9:29 PM
Dude it's all up to you but I'm gonna let you know that I have Camaro mufflers on my 04' Cavy and I love them. I got a ticket cause they were so freaking loud but I had a bigger resonator put in and they're quiet as mouse and at the same time I'm showing that my car, although a Cavalier is still a chevy. By the way I have a Bomex rear end so the mufflers go in perfectly.

OBJECTS ON MIRROR ARE FORDS AND HONDAS
Tuesday, March 28, 2006 4:35 AM
Part it out and sell it

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 6:05 AM
Hell, I'll buy your IF kit!

02 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 6:26 AM
It is a never ending pit...you should sell it.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 7:11 AM
It is and always will be an endless money pit, but so will any car you want to modify. I say keep it.

Madjack wrote:Like I said before, building an engine like ours (2.2 or 2200) is a painstaking chore , since there is so few custom made parts. It's frustrating to me too, but that's what I like about doing this engine, it's the challenge.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 9:54 AM
give it to me

Portage, MI
Tuesday, March 28, 2006 10:39 AM
Pork Chop Sandwiches!!! wrote:It is a never ending pit...you should sell it.

x2

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 4:21 PM
alias1429 wrote:you have to keep it. its my favorite vert. you've got the perfect combination, 5 speed, supercharged, and topless. 5 speed verts are hard to come by.

not to mention the fact that its a z... 5 speed z verts are very hard to find. keep it and sell me the import fighter kit.

Check out my build thread!

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 6:07 PM
sell all the extra parts you dont need and sit back and make some decisions on how u want the car to look. if you can take your time you'd only need to buy one kit instead of having 3 kits lying around, those types of things are what makes it a money pit. when you get burnt out on the car take a break and come back to it later. if you make a rash decision and sell the car you may end up wanting it again a few months down the line and then your starting all over.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Tuesday, March 28, 2006 7:56 PM
it'll only be a pit if you keep changing your mind about what you want. Seems youre doing fine as far as the engine goes, but you need to pick a kit and a color to stick with already.

Other than that... KEEP IT!!

2000 2200 Cavalier: 9/14/2000--10/23/2006
2007 G85 SS S/C: 10/23/2006--Present
Vote for me at Motortopia.com! Thanks!

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 1:05 AM
Keep it chris, Seriously man. I personally look up to your car and go through your reg for ideas on my next projects.

I really want a GM SC myself. Seriously don't get rid of the car. Keep it.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 7:21 AM
keep it man...........or sell me some stuff

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 7:39 AM
I have debated stopping work on mine and selling it...but have changed my mind every time, you will have your ups and downs with it, I saw do what you want to do, but all the wasted work of an unfinished product...eh...keep and and finish what you started

Thursday, March 30, 2006 4:54 PM
i'll trade you type j sides for your IF's..... also interested in the camaro muffler and c6 tips

you'll get more money back if you part it out, but that may take longer
time is money, money is time

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search