1999 Z24 Cav, new fuel pump..... No start......WTF - Page 4 - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 1999 Z24 Cav, new fuel pump..... No start......WTF
Monday, August 10, 2009 6:12 PM
I'll keep an eye on this thread,it might help me out.Thanks MD.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 4:27 AM
So I retraced ALL THE ENGINE harness. Wiring to and from PCM to each sensor is fine. one ground was flacky, but was re-grounded, and checked out great. Strangely my theft light came on, and started flashing. I did the relearn, and it went off. "Thanks David" I still have no Crank or Cam signals. My tach however did manage to reset itself to zero. My car for a short time was commanding 0 degrees of retard instead of the -64 degrees it is back to now.

My best guess is the PCM has a grounding problem inside of it....since the wiring to and from it checks out fine......after 4 Hours of tracing wires, and looking at schematics.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:11 AM
No problem man.

But Im sad it still doesn't start

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, August 11, 2009 8:52 AM
...very heartbreaking. </3

Cavalier z24......A poor man's Camaro....close enough, right?
Tuesday, August 11, 2009 8:14 PM
Can you get another ECU to try that. I did.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 10:45 AM
I'm in the process of tracking down another PCM.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 1:40 PM
Hello everyone. New to the forum.
Does the fuel pump run as you crank the engine.
After you stop cranking the engine, you should hear the pump run for a
second or two.
Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:05 PM
from what i gather,it should run while cranking,but if you stop cranking IMO i wouldn't see the pump needing to be on.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:52 PM
When I had problems in other GM cars, I could hear the pump run just a second or two after I stopped cranking the engine.
I have even heard the pump run for a sec. when I shut the motor off .
Thursday, August 13, 2009 7:30 PM
Well i stand corrected,to be honest, i never payed attention to the pump after shutting it off.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 10:41 AM
Update Mike?

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 11:20 AM
still waiting on new PCM.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:24 PM
So you mean to say you are getting a factory fresh pcm? That must be a lot of money. Keep us posted. I'm sure everyone here is curious too.
Tuesday, August 25, 2009 8:53 AM
new pcm on order!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:57 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Monday, August 31, 2009 6:07 AM
New PCM is in. Car will NOT do the pass-lock relearn. WTF!

With either PCM now.

I tried with the new PCM and the old. Doors closed, hood closed...even though it shouldn't mater. Reached in through the window. NEVER opened the door. WTF

Battery was fully charged. Any help would great, before I break something, or light it on fire!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, August 31, 2009 6:09 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Monday, August 31, 2009 6:25 AM
Mike,

where did you get the PCM from? Any possibility the new one is just a blank PCM with your VIN written to it? I think that's how autozone sells them.

Monday, August 31, 2009 7:27 AM
It was supposed to be a re-manufacuted pcm with my vin and cal programed to it.
I'm 100% sure on the VIN i guess I need to email the guy to make sure it has all the program files.

This is the response I received...
Quote:

The computer is programmed with your calibration files as well as your vin number for an exact vehicle match.

The passlock system is controled by the body control module and not the replacement PCM. If it is not relearning the passlock signal it would be due to the Body Control Module not sending it to the PCM.

Review the key notes on the passlock system. Make sure that your battery is fully charged when you start the proceedure. if the battery voltage drops to 11.4 V or less during the proceedure it will kick out the passlock system.

Make sure that all doors are closed to the vehicle. If a door is opened during the proceedure or the hood is up it can lock out the passlock system.

The passlock system has 3 components that must be in working order so that the passlock system will function.

The key and ignition lock, passlock module, and body control module all must be working correctly in order for the proceedure to relearn.

Please call or email if you have any further questions.

Rodney

Hood shouldn't matter since no j's have anyway to tell if the hood was open or not. Mine was closed just for giggles. 96-99's do not have a BCM, correct! Only 00-05 j's do. Do we have a passlock module?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Monday, August 31, 2009 8:43 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, September 01, 2009 5:29 PM
How are you doing the relearn?

FU Tuning

Tuesday, September 01, 2009 6:17 PM
per the haynes manual. I tried the 96-99 way. Try to start car....leave in on posistion....do not open doors or anything. Turn key off....then try to start car again. Just like I use too.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, September 01, 2009 8:38 PM
Quote:

The correct procedure is to put and leave the ignition switch in the run position, wait 10 minutes then try and start the car. If the car doesn't start turn off the ignition switch for 10 seconds and then once again put the ignition switch in run and wait another 10 minutes and then try restarting the car again.

During the 10 minute relearn cycle the security light may be flashing, or may be on steady it may go off after 10 minutes or remain on.

This is the procedure that work for me when I replaced the keylock cylinder on my son's 96 Cavalier.

For what it's worth

I found this searching, hope it helps.

Had a buddies ohv die going down the road and WOULD NOT START. cranked all day, no spark at all. Ended up being the TPS, but i dont know why that wouldn't allow an idle. But hey, might be something for you to check once you get passlock working again.

nwuonline.com
Proud member on JBNW.org
JBO member since 2004
Tuesday, September 01, 2009 8:45 PM
Did some more searching came up with this

Quote:

PASSLOCK

The Passlock system is designed to prevent vehicle operation if the key is not used to start the vehicle. The key, which does not contain a resistor will turn the Passlock lock cylinder. The Passlock lock cylinder will relay a resistance code to the instrument panel cluster (IPC). It does this by rotating a magnet past a stationary hall effect sensor, creating a resistance code. At this point the IPC will determine if the resistance code is correct and within an acceptable time frame. If the code is correct, the IPC will send a coded password to the powertrain control module (PCM). If the PCM receives the correct password, it will allow the fuel injectors to operate normally and the vehicle will start and run normally. If the correct resistance code from the lock cylinder is not received within the acceptable time frame, the vehicle will go into a short tamper mode during which the theft deterrent system will not allow the vehicle to operate for approximately 4 seconds. When this occurs, the security indicator will flash. After three consecutive failed tries, the system will enter into a long tamper mode. In this mode, the fuel injectors will be disabled for approximately 10 minutes, and the security indicator will be flashing. Please note that in any of the tamper modes, the vehicle may start, but it will quickly stall.

The Passlock system is designed to prevent vehicle theft even if any of the theft deterrent parts are replaced. Passlock eliminates the need for the key mounted resistor. Parts that can no longer be replaced without the possibility of the system going into a tamper mode and prevent starting are: the lock cylinder, the instrument panel cluster (IPC), and the powertrain control module (PCM).

In order to initiate the relearn:

1. Hook up your scan tool to erase any of the passlock/vehicle theft deterrent trouble codes. If there are any other codes, note them before you erase them, so you may address them after the relearn has been completed.
2. With the ignition key in the “On” position from the code-clearing step, attempt to start the vehicle. At this point, if the vehicle starts, and the security light has not illuminated, a relearn is not necessary, and you’re done. If the vehicle starts and stalls, leave the key in the “Run” position and wait for the “Security” light to turn off. This will take approximately 10 minutes. At any time during this relearn, the light may flash or be on steady. If the ignition switch is turned off at any time during this relearn cycle that the security light is illuminated, the entire cycle must be restarted from the beginning. For most cars, one cycle will be sufficient for the relearn. If the vehicle will not start after the first cycle, then continue the process from step #3 to the end. Most trucks will require that you continue from step #3 to the end.
3. When the light turns off, turn the ignition switch to the “Off” position for approximately ten seconds.
4. Next, repeat steps 2 and 3 two more times for a total of three cycles. After the third time, the new code will be relearned on the next start attempt when the ignition switch is rotated from the “Off” position.
5. From the “Off” position, start the vehicle, observing the security light. If the vehicle starts and runs normally, and the security light is off, the relearn is complete. If the vehicle does not start, check for trouble codes before proceeding further.

and i found it here, theres a ton of info on this page.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/general-discussion/performance/port-injection-96-obd-ii/164702-gm-computer-relearn-procedure-including-crankshaft-relearn.html

hope it helps

nwuonline.com
Proud member on JBNW.org
JBO member since 2004

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 6:35 AM
dcampbellz24 wrote:Mike,

where did you get the PCM from? Any possibility the new one is just a blank PCM with your VIN written to it? I think that's how autozone sells them.

they come programed when you get them from an auto store like Autozone, you have to take in your car info including your VIN#, they call in your info and them the company they use will flash a PCM for you.

Wednesday, September 02, 2009 6:54 AM
Thanks for the help fellas. I'll try the longer 3 full cycles this weekend or Friday when i get time.

I'm trying to get my buddy over to erase any of the passlock trouble codes. My scanner doesn't go deep enough to get to any of that info.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, September 08, 2009 3:48 AM
@!#$ my cav.
nothing worked.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Tuesday, September 08, 2009 6:05 PM
is your scanner good enough to erase passlock codes? Might need to borrow someones pimptacular one to erase all those.

nwuonline.com
Proud member on JBNW.org
JBO member since 2004
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search