GETRAG TRANNY NOISE - Page 21 - Maintenance and Repair Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: GETRAG TRANNY NOISE
Monday, July 04, 2005 7:57 AM
YW
^Yes, use TSB's amount which I think it was like 2.7-2.8 qrts. I've used all three bottles so I don't have any left over fluid.
Key thing too, as temp goes down the noise will barely be noticeable with this product, also you will love the shifting too.
Just remember, its the B&M Trick Shift Synthetic ATF fluid (Grey bottle)

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Monday, July 04, 2005 4:57 PM
Hey, just wondering if this is the same thing I'm getting now? Car is an 03 cavy and just turned 10,000 the other day. Everytime the car has warmed up, sitting in neutral at a light for a while, and I put the clutch down and move the stick to any gear (just after the stick gets into position), theres a clunk noise (sounds like a buuunk). It's not really bothering me, but just noticed it started out of nowhere recently.

Monday, July 04, 2005 5:20 PM
^^^^That's what mine does, and I've been told it's normal, and as far as they know won't cause any long term problems.

I may not be the sharpest crayon in the box, but at least I'm a pretty color
Tuesday, July 05, 2005 8:35 AM
Dave,
Try to engage the gear a little slower. Clutch in, wait about 2-3 secs and put car in gear.
But yhea its a normal noise that it (may) be avoided.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 8:36 AM
I forgot to say, no... this is not the same noise either.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Thursday, July 07, 2005 4:13 PM
The clunk when going in gear is normal. That is the shifter (under the hood ) moving into gear.

FU Tuning

Thursday, July 07, 2005 4:21 PM
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:Unfortunately there is no "fix" for it. What you can do is quell the noise by using B&M Trick Shift ATF (grey bottle).
If you want to go through the ordeal of the Saturn fluid, go to the dealer with the TSB# that I believe is on the beginning of this thread. First tell them the symptoms, then say you spoke to GM about it and tell them that GM gave you a TSB number. From there the dealer (should) help you out.
If not, just buy the Saturn fluid at a Saturn dealer and do it on your own. It is not hard. Word of advice... the Saturn fluid will not work.
If GM does the work for you and the noise is still there, you can tell them on installing the wavy washer in between 2nd and 3rd gear (TSB# is in one of the last pages here). Again I had it done, and it did not work either.
But atleast you can try and have it documented by GM that the tranny is noisy.

Goodluck

I disagree there is not fix for it. I had the saturn lube put in and it fixed it. So that would mean there is a fix. I do plan to change my tranny fluid soon (hitting 63k), and want to change it because of how much I race the car. I think I will go with the B&M fluid at that time.
I heard people talking about synchros going bad, that is dirver.

FU Tuning

Thursday, July 07, 2005 5:02 PM
Consider yourself very lucky if it fixed the noise.^^
The second TSB was made because the Saturn fluid "fix" did not work, atleast to many.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Friday, July 08, 2005 6:18 AM
Hate to tell ya guys but the noise is back with mine with the B&M fluid. I don't give a damn. Let it make noise.

Friday, July 08, 2005 10:25 AM
Hi, i would like to know where that i can find that b&m synthetic oil, to stop the noice..... it strange, it only do that on first and second gear.... i wounder as well if i can put gear oil in the tranny...its extemely modified, and i will not run it in winter...so no cold for my baby...thanx
Monday, August 29, 2005 7:23 PM
just picked up a 2002 z24 5 speed didnt read the whole thread but besides the noise is there any damage being to the car that we know of?

'spit chew hits soldiers boot'
"thats a real nasty habit you got there"
"this stuff will make you a sexual tyransaur just like me"
jesse the body ventura in Predator

Tuesday, August 30, 2005 11:00 AM
amsoil ATF works very well

see ya!

Tuesday, August 30, 2005 4:29 PM
One of the many reasons I sold my Z24.. That noise was driving me crazy!!

Red 2005 Saturn Ion-3 Coupe
Tuesday, August 30, 2005 5:27 PM
First of all, thanks to everyone (especially Mr. G) for all of the helpful info in this thread.

I bought a 2001 Z24 last week and was seriously considering attempting to return it until I came across this info. Neither myself nor the pre-sale vehicle inspector noticed the rattling noise. I ended up getting them (BCAA) to refund the $150 they charged me for the inspection.

Anyway, I'm going to give this B&M fix a shot and see if I can live with the outcome. My mechanic is doing it today. 2.6 quarts of B&M Trick Shift Synthetic ATF. I'll let you know how it goes.

One question for anyone who may have had the clutch actuator pipe replaced (GM TSB #02-07-31-003A) in an attempt to reduce the pulsing/vibration in the clutch when engaging it. Did this solve the problem / reduce the vibration to your satisfaction? Or was there no noticeable difference?

The dealer wants about $180 CDN for parts and they said it would likely be 2 hours labour. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it. The car has 72,000 KMs on it and I am the second owner.

Thanks again!
Tuesday, August 30, 2005 5:52 PM
replacing the clutch actuator pipe shouldnt take more than 30 minutes. and the part is no more than USD$20, i dont believe.

Peace Out!!!
Tuesday, August 30, 2005 6:59 PM
I thought the same when I looked at the directions in the TSB. They gave me some kind of answer like "once we really looked at what needed to be done, we realized that we also need to replace...". I guess I need to get pricing on the parts listed in the TSB and then also talk to the service guys regarding what additional replacement they had in mind.

I'll post more tomorrow when I have the info. Thanks!
Wednesday, August 31, 2005 12:07 AM
From looking on gmpartsdirect.com, I think the service person at the dealer forgot to order the actual pipe part when they originally quoted be $25 for parts. Total minus shipping from this web site is around $125 CDN for all 4 parts called for in the TSB. I'm thinking I will just order these parts online and then just get a tranny shop or some other mechanic to follow the TSB. Should be able cut the dealer's estimated $400 in half.

Still wondering about this though. Anyone that has had this clutch actuator pipe replaced...worth it?
Wednesday, August 31, 2005 10:47 AM
Nial,

I was like around 2nd or 3rd person on this site to get it done ages ago. ***THIS WILL NOT FIX THE NOISE.***

But... .

It will make your clutch feel soooo much nicer, engagement will be earlier too. When the car reaches normal operating temperature, the clutch take up will be normal but better then before.
For many, the TSB worked on the "Pedal Buzz," which is why it was brought out for.
Initially & preliminary I tried it thinking it would remove the noise (long time ago). Granted I never had the pedal buzz, but in the end this TSB became a mod for me instead.

Very well worth it.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 2:09 PM
Thank you sir.

I am most concerned about improving the feel. The clutch seems to pulse when it's engaging, especially noticeable when starting from a stop.

Too bad gmpartsdirect.com won't ship to Canada. The dealer wants $190 for the 4 parts required. I need to try to find these parts elsewhere.

Oh and by the way, just testing out the B&M fix...love it! No rattling and smooooth shifting.

Thanks again!
Wednesday, August 31, 2005 8:00 PM
Mr.Pye,

No problem, glad I was helpful.
That TSB should cure your pulse and yes the feel of the clutch is great too.
I am glad the B&M worked out too. There have been numerous people with the same results as yourself, gotta love the shifting feel too.

Good luck on finding the parts at a better price.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Thursday, September 01, 2005 7:59 AM
I shouldn't say there is not any rattling...I can still reproduce the same sound by lugging the engine (accelerate moderately, in any gear at around 1500 RPM). But, as I understand it, this is expected as one should not be lugging their engine. I have read what you had previosuly posted about lugging manual transmission engines...belts etc..so I am not surprised that this was not cleared up as well.

Of course, I rarely drive like this. It's just that sometimes your rounding a sharp corner slowly in 2nd gear and if the RPMs drop to around 1500...

Just to confirm, this is "normal"? When the engine is warm, I can reproduce that same rattle sound in any gear between 1500 and 1700 RPMs.

Thursday, September 01, 2005 8:31 AM
what a minute...... i thought if you had a TSB it was a free repair.... so you saying you still have to pay for the part and labor.... WTF...

Thursday, September 01, 2005 1:19 PM
Yep. For both TSBs (Clutch Vibe and Tranny Rattle).

I pushed them on it but they still charged me labour to do the tranny fluid swap. Even though:

1: The vehicle still has powertrain warranty
2: By releasing a TSB, GM has admitted that there is an "issue"
3: I supplied the B&M tranny fluid
4: I was having other work done

The service guy told me that this is not a problem but an unfortunate rattle. Nothing that will cause damage or impact performance.

Same with the clutch TSB except that somehow they figure that a clutch is not a part of the powertrain.

They basically drove me to have my car services elsewhere. This was my first dealing with them and the nickel and dimed me. I was very disappointed when I left there.
Thursday, September 01, 2005 4:54 PM
Technical Service Bulletins are not recalls if you are out of the factory warranty, expect to shell out the money for the service.
Supposedly from Getrag, this is not causing harm, which is why it was never recalled through GM. Call it a nuisance for the owner.
To my understanding this will not be under the powertrain warranty, but there are some dealers that actually care on customer satisfaction and might have a loophole in order to take care of you.
If I were you, I would call a GM customer care and hopefully they should help you getting it done for free, explain that it is part of the powertrain as it deals with the transmission.

Quote:

Just to confirm, this is "normal"? When the engine is warm, I can reproduce that same rattle sound in any gear between 1500 and 1700 RPMs.

Lugging noise will happen on any manual transmission car, more so when the belt is stretched and old. The noise will come on usually at 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th at under 1500 rpms and and you are giving lots of gas as the engine tries to compensate for what the driver wants.
The Getrag noise happens in any gear and even when standing still in neutral usually 1000-1300 rpms.
What I have found out on X amounts of tranny fluids available in the market B&M proved the best. In my case, it left a faint of noise and as the engine is cooler ie (aux fan running w/ a.c.) the noise is almost diminished.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<

Thursday, September 01, 2005 8:21 PM
Thanks for the confirmation.

I've got another grinding / rattling sound issue. It kicks in at around 3000 - 3500 RPM. It can be reproduced in neutral or in gear. Once the RPMs drop below 3000, the noise stops. I'm wondering if this is just another noise from the transmission but I have no idea really.

The dealer had a look and charged me 1/2 hour labour only to confirm that there is an odd sounding noise. They pointed me in the direction of the exhaust system. I wish I had asked them to let me supervise the diagnosis (next time I will). Took the car to 3 different exhaust shops (Speedy, Midas, and Budget). They all lifted it up and none of them could find anything wrong with the exhaust. In fact the noise is coming from the front of the car for sure (I was under an could easily tell). Now I have to go back and bitch at the dealer and ask them how they came to their conclusion.

Anyway, just wondering if anybody has come across this themselves or in other forums. Any guesses as to what it might be are appreciated.

Thanks guys.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search