2.4 vvt ecotec less than 20 miles - Page 5 - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 2.4 vvt ecotec less than 20 miles
Saturday, February 04, 2006 6:25 AM
I'm not sure why but I feel as If I should buy one of these. Even though I laready have one. I guess I could have it around for later build up.

NfamousZ24 wrote:You guys need to wait till the GXP comes out and take those engines out. That is the engine I really want.

I wouldnt think that anyone would order the GXP, that cost $5,000 more, just to let Mallet yank it out.

I am all that is man

Saturday, February 04, 2006 6:27 AM
T J have you posted this on the Solstice Forum yet? Maybe some of those guys would be into having a spare motor.

I am all that is man

Saturday, February 04, 2006 1:39 PM
if you r interested in these please post here
Saturday, February 04, 2006 4:55 PM
Do you want us to wait until we have the money? I won't for another 2 weeks to a month but I'm going to get one.
Sunday, February 05, 2006 6:34 AM
-ESB- wrote:T J have you posted this on the Solstice Forum yet? Maybe some of those guys would be into having a spare motor.

I didnt' know there was one lo you have a link to it?

85 fiero GT 3800 sc swap in progress
98 Sunfire 4.9 and AWD swap in progress
85 S-10 turbocharged 3800
83 Citation x-11 turbocharged 3.1 with AWD 6000 running gear SOLD
94 Bonneville SLE daily driver
94 Bonneville SSEi wifes pearl pink daily driver
93 Bonneville SSEi I duno why
94 Bonneville SSEi parts for the rest of them

Sunday, February 05, 2006 10:04 AM
mmmm Eco hybrid, would be a nice addition to the Ion.

Sunday, February 05, 2006 5:31 PM
i just read through this whole post..im noi trying to Bash this motor at all but you all are talking about swapping a 2.4 VVT with basically flywheel rated hp between 170 and 177...with all the amount of work that is needed to be done..i honestly dont think it would be worth it..this is just my two sense cause i know the Scion TC is an import and those have 2.4 VVTI Motors in them: This is that engine spec (160 HP SAE @ 5,700 rpm; 163 ft lb , 221 Nm @ 4,000 rpm) you look at a 2.4 Engine Spec (Z24 Cavaliers) that the specs are: 150 hp and 155 Ft of torque..now with simple bolt ons and the lost cost of the Z24...i can beat a Scion TC Racing..even when im alot heaver wheels...and yall want to swap out a 2.4 VVT Ecotec Motor with the ratings of 170hp and 160 tq at higher rpms than the 2.4? after reading the specs on the engine and comparing it to a 2.4...the power band is totally different and personally i would prefer the 2.4 over the 2.4 vvt...the amount of money you spend on all the necessary hardware and work envolved to do this swap..you cna buy simple bolts ona nd and as fast or maybe faster than the 2.4 vvt...just my opinion though
Monday, February 06, 2006 11:08 AM
Kyle Strosnider wrote:i just read through this whole post..im noi trying to Bash this motor at all but you all are talking about swapping a 2.4 VVT with basically flywheel rated hp between 170 and 177...with all the amount of work that is needed to be done..i honestly dont think it would be worth it..this is just my two sense cause i know the Scion TC is an import and those have 2.4 VVTI Motors in them: This is that engine spec (160 HP SAE @ 5,700 rpm; 163 ft lb , 221 Nm @ 4,000 rpm) you look at a 2.4 Engine Spec (Z24 Cavaliers) that the specs are: 150 hp and 155 Ft of torque..now with simple bolt ons and the lost cost of the Z24...i can beat a Scion TC Racing..even when im alot heaver wheels...and yall want to swap out a 2.4 VVT Ecotec Motor with the ratings of 170hp and 160 tq at higher rpms than the 2.4? after reading the specs on the engine and comparing it to a 2.4...the power band is totally different and personally i would prefer the 2.4 over the 2.4 vvt...the amount of money you spend on all the necessary hardware and work envolved to do this swap..you cna buy simple bolts ona nd and as fast or maybe faster than the 2.4 vvt...just my opinion though

apples to oranges...... you can out-run the higher HP Scion TC because it also weighs more then a Z24..... its called HP:Weight ratio. Now I am a die hard LD9 fan, but this 2.4vvt ECO motor is a great upgrade for the 2200/2.2 ohv guys, and even the 2.2ECO guys.... The 2.4ECO should weigh pretty much the same as the 2.2ECO, but has 30 more HP, and 10lbs of torque.... out of the box.... sounds like a nice upgrade right there..... cant do that with bolt ons. (add up the cost of the header, exhaust, intake, t/b, cams...... and you finally get to the HP level of the 2.4ECO, but probably also just spent the same amount it would have cost to swap the 2.4 in)

And to top it off, the ECO is the new bandwagon...... and this is the top dog..... so of coarse people are going to want it....... hell, even I want it. (***dont worry, still running the W41 and LD9***)

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Monday, February 06, 2006 12:17 PM
id swap the 2.4vvt (with out the vvt) into my cav , and ditch the 2.4 tc

speedracerz has said he would if he didnt have all the money into his 2.4

Monday, February 06, 2006 6:19 PM
Kyle Strosnider wrote:i just read through this whole post..im noi trying to Bash this motor at all but you all are talking about swapping a 2.4 VVT with basically flywheel rated hp between 170 and 177...with all the amount of work that is needed to be done..i honestly dont think it would be worth it..this is just my two sense cause i know the Scion TC is an import and those have 2.4 VVTI Motors in them: This is that engine spec (160 HP SAE @ 5,700 rpm; 163 ft lb , 221 Nm @ 4,000 rpm) you look at a 2.4 Engine Spec (Z24 Cavaliers) that the specs are: 150 hp and 155 Ft of torque..now with simple bolt ons and the lost cost of the Z24...i can beat a Scion TC Racing..even when im alot heaver wheels...and yall want to swap out a 2.4 VVT Ecotec Motor with the ratings of 170hp and 160 tq at higher rpms than the 2.4? after reading the specs on the engine and comparing it to a 2.4...the power band is totally different and personally i would prefer the 2.4 over the 2.4 vvt...the amount of money you spend on all the necessary hardware and work envolved to do this swap..you cna buy simple bolts ona nd and as fast or maybe faster than the 2.4 vvt...just my opinion though

The quad 4 2.4 engines are getting to be old technolgy to. They dont' build them any more and no one is going to pull out their 2.2 eco tech and and swap backward to the quad 4. Not to mention you can't do a complete rebuild on a eco tec for the price i'm offering these at. so this is a very viable and cost effctive option not to mention the facy you'll have a few more cubes to take even greater advantage of bolt ons. and let me tell ya to these things REALLY respond to boost.

85 fiero GT 3800 sc swap in progress
98 Sunfire 4.9 and AWD swap in progress
85 S-10 turbocharged 3800
83 Citation x-11 turbocharged 3.1 with AWD 6000 running gear SOLD
94 Bonneville SLE daily driver
94 Bonneville SSEi wifes pearl pink daily driver
93 Bonneville SSEi I duno why
94 Bonneville SSEi parts for the rest of them

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 7:16 AM
well i dunno i think its just cause theres always been a battle between the 2.4s and ecotecs out there..ill always be a 2.4 fan and i know that SpeedracerZ is probably hella quick..im lookin at mine to be pushen 350/400+ wheep horsepower when im done..catch yall later

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 6:52 PM
this engine plus a 2.2 head and boost would be great. and now that you 00+ guys get a boost reflash i dont see what the hold up is. i really wanna make an eco swap in a 97-99 as-easy-as posible after HPT get that a$$ in gear. but thats another story.

hey TJ any info on yoru sunfire project? links? sounds neat

Sven you totally quarterloafed your computer..
Wednesday, February 08, 2006 7:13 PM
What does the 2.4 crankshaft reluctor wheel look like ,how many notches does it have?.
2.2 eco has 7 .

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 8:09 PM
T J wrote:
-ESB- wrote:T J have you posted this on the Solstice Forum yet? Maybe some of those guys would be into having a spare motor.

I didnt' know there was one lo you have a link to it?

Solsticeforum.com

I am all that is man

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 9:08 PM
ok ..just so its easier on MY eyes if no one elses could you guys please refer to these engines alittle differnt ..i mean like instead 2.4 2.4 2.4 can we just say twincam or TC when talking about the older ? please

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 10:08 PM
wow i cant believe i read thought that entire thing. This is the only time i wish i had an eco cause i would definitely go for this. But as it stands i love my 2.4 TC. I hope someone does this so we can see if its worth it. As always i am very impressed with the quality of information that eventually shows up in discussions like this, makes me proud to be a part of the org. Good work guys.

PSN ID: Phatchance249

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 10:20 PM
oh man i really want the eco 2.4 bottom end.

Monday, February 13, 2006 7:33 PM
are these still available?

Vice President - NEJBody
2007 Cobalt SS
2001 Sunfire (retired)
Wednesday, February 15, 2006 4:01 AM
I would do it if I didn't have all the money into my 2.4. I don't wanna have to go through all my bolt on's again.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 7:00 AM
Would this engine bolt up to a 99 z24 without any major problems. I let someone drive my car a while back and the engine is bad so i have been looking into buying a new engine for a while. And if it wont bolt up how hard would it be to put in.
thanks
Wednesday, February 15, 2006 7:40 AM
in a 99 youve got alot of stuff to change out to put a eco in your car

read up on just swaping the 2.2 eco in your car

Saturday, February 18, 2006 1:03 PM
I'm only about 2 hours out, and just blew my 2.4 TC in my 98 Sunfire, so if the deal still stands, I can trailer my car out there if you can still do the drop labor free. I' m interested in how this might turn out. Any info is appreciated, thanks.

Saturday, February 18, 2006 1:25 PM
damn people read before you post....geeeez

2.4 eco and 2.4 tc are completely different............they will not interchangel w/out alot of work.

damn

there is apost 3 up saying it wont work without alot of work

*************Yea i spell liek wrong get over it*****************
** If i write in caps its cause im @ work and i can only write in caps cause the keyboard is a retarded CAPS only keyboard.**
Saturday, February 18, 2006 1:27 PM
....no @!#$... so where did I say it'd be easy?

Thursday, February 23, 2006 9:08 PM
To those doubting the 2.4E engine, you need to see the torque curve compared to the 2.4TC. It's quite a bit better, and the TC is pretty good to start with.

They are different generations of the same desing, so they look similar. They have very few interchangable parts though, so quit talking about bolt-on this and that.

Can it be done, sure. Would it be easy, about the same as most other engine swaps.

I wish I had the money to drop one in my 95 GAM. The old 2.3 Q4 is a dog compared to my 2.4TC Sunny.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search