-MD- Pulleys, Discusion, Cranks and Alternators-Long Read- - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
-MD- Pulleys, Discusion, Cranks and Alternators-Long Read-
Monday, November 19, 2007 8:06 AM
Well....where to start. No holds barred... The good the bad and everything in between. Letting everything out.
From the Start 06'

Well the first batch of LD9 pulley were sold the summer of 06'. 35 Set WOHOO. Thanks to all the people that purchased these, and thanks to everyone for understanding about the Alternator pulleys. Yes some of the alternator pulleys didn't fit, and yes I gladly fixed all. This was due to the alternator shaft on a few bands of alternators being exactly .001-.0015" bigger than the stock alternator shaft. All the pulleys were reamed and there was a few thousand interference on a few applications. I later found that most Mexican J-bodies also had the larger shaft diameters. The alternator pulley bore is now the EXACT same size as the AEM pulley. I found out from an AEM tech that they had two versions for a while, but ended up making all the bores the same. "Which mine now matches." "Hence redesign of alternator pulleys." So they already made my mistake, and now with the redesign they are lighter than my first go around, and fit all J-body alternators.

Making LN2, LD9, LE5, and L61 pulleys. The first road block was the machine shop that made the first LD9 set of pulleys is no longer in business. "I had to find this out the hard way." So then my search was on for a new machine shop. Mean while I was finishing up my bachlors degree in Mechanical Engineering. "w00t" December 06' Then the long fight with Cleveland State University began, which ended in march 07'. "Way to long of a story to get into."

My goal still was to find a machine shop. I searched everywhere for a machine shop to work with me. No one wanted to deal with performance parts. Fidanza nicely screwed over 95% of the local machine shops around here, and well they wouldn't make any kind of automotive part......especially for some random guy making automotive pulleys. This greatly slowed me down, and more upon more delays. About this time I noticed some of the red pulleys were kinda fading a little. . No one was mad, but one year should not of faded the pulleys like they were. There were to many factors to figure out why they faded. I contacted a lot of hard coaters to help me understand what happened. Long story short, all pulleys will be hard coated grey. The red and blue colors just didn't last, and well I will no longer be offering them.

Sometime after this I read a nice post referring / implying that my LD9 crank pulley blew up someone's motor. We found this not to be the case, and if you search the boost archives you'll find the posts. Also thanks to all the fellow for sicking up for me, and explaining everything. THANKS GOES OUT TO ALL OF YOU!

Next I started talks with Aaron at Turbo Tech, Nathan Herbst, and Karo at Carcustoms. Nathan didn't have the machines to make the large pulleys, but was a damn good guy to talk to. Aaron had way to many things on his plate, and couldn't get to it. Karo came through, and got a WHOLE BUNCH of alternator pulley made. "w00t again" I currently sold about 60 some alternator pulleys of the second design.

I'm currently in contact with Karo about making the L61 / LE5 cranks. I'm also in talks with a local guy that I went to college with about 4 years ago. I'm just trying to get the best deal for all of us at this current time. This has been side tracked may times since early summer. Many my fault. I have had two major designs for the L61 /LE5 cranks. A two piece design and a one piece design. The two piece design was designed way back in September of 06'. Testing followed, and while it functioned well. It was just not cost effective to have a two piece design. Crank Steel, pulley 6061 aluminum. I originally had it a two piece design because of the oil pump cam ridding on the pulley snouts flats.

The second design was beefed up and became a one piece design consisting of 7075 aluminum. This aluminum is far better grade than 6061, and is stronger is all aspects. But now the cost factor came back into play. MANY discussions have went back and forth between MANY an org member on this subject. I also need a prototype to prove this new design to work. I'm 95% sure it would fit and function great, but 100% makes me feel so much better. Prototyping this pulley is just expensive, short and simple. It justed doesn't want to get made at this rate. There has been delay after delay, and all kinds of weirdness. IMPO. I am determined to get this son-of-a-bitch made. I will probably make the prototype out of 6061 to test form, fit, and function, but would much rather have 7075 pieces for my next group purchase. If 6061 works 7075 will work much better. Prototypes are in discussion. Thats where that stands as of today.

The LD9 crank pulleys are designed, and well waiting to be made. The 35 that are out there and the one I have on my z24 are working great for the year and some that they have been on cars. No changes have been made to this design.

The LN2 and maybe 2200 cranks are designed, and have been designed since well September 06...yes over a @!#$ year ago. I still want to make a prototype or two and get them on a few cars, before I run a Group Purchase.

Also been working on a M62 to L61 TB adapter plate. I'm still working on this P.O.S.

If anyone has any questions, concerns, or anything please voice them it will be greatly appreciated.

-Mike-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Monday, November 19, 2007 8:08 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Re: -MD- Pulleys, Discusion, Cranks and Alternators-Long Read-
Monday, November 19, 2007 8:13 AM
-MD- LD9 wrote:The LD9 crank pulleys are designed, and well waiting to be made. The 35 that are out there and the one I have on my z24 are working great for the year and some that they have been on cars. No changes have been made to this design.

Well... 34 anyway. Mine's still in a box as my lazy ass hasn't got it installed yet. It looks really nice though...

Monday, November 19, 2007 9:26 AM
i was wondering what happened to the pulleys

im still in for a 6 rib eco when ya get 1 done

Monday, November 19, 2007 10:54 AM
right on mike. you've done well for us here in the community and i know you will continue to do so.

although i havnt had a chance to get my NEW design alt. pulley on yet, it will be going on over the winter, just gotta stop being lazy and get the damn alternator off

as soon as the LD9 cranks are available, im in.

Monday, November 19, 2007 11:01 AM
As I mentioned in another thread here... you may not need to remove the alternator to swap the pulley. I did mine in less than 10 mins.

Monday, November 19, 2007 11:30 AM
that was a relatively short read, brah!

but still cool to see honesty among dealers/sellers here. good smack!

random question. how much, literally would getting a single pulley. i know some prices locally are up there. but if you had a stock production to go from?

Monday, November 19, 2007 11:34 AM
z yaaaa wrote:right on mike. you've done well for us here in the community and i know you will continue to do so.

although i haven't had a chance to get my NEW design alt. pulley on yet, it will be going on over the winter, just gotta stop being lazy and get the damn alternator off

i'm in for an eco crank pulley.

Monday, November 19, 2007 12:57 PM
I'm in for an eco crank pulley.

Monday, November 19, 2007 2:46 PM
I am waiting with my curser on the Paypal button to get the crank pully. I am concerned about one thing though.

Will you be offering the crank pullies hard coated? Will you be using the same hard-coater? If so, will he speed up on his end to get the hard coated pullies out faster?

I don't mind waiting and would rather have a coated pully, but I don't want to wait too long. Look forward to installing these soon, hope everything goes smoothly.

Monday, November 19, 2007 3:29 PM
Well Mike, im happy with mine

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Tuesday, November 20, 2007 3:46 AM
Eric, yes the 6rib pulley is designed. No sure what I want to do yet. If / when I get a prototype made it WILL be sent your way along with a six rib alternator pulley.

Event, most are about $500, or they want to amortize the cost of the pulley across the cost of the full run. Which is fine and all, but then I have to go with them for the rest of the pulleys.

chm, I have one other hard coaters in mind, but they are twice as expensive are the one i used last time. His turn around and the second hard coated batch was only two-three weeks, which really is not that bad.

David, Thanks man. It was really nice seeing my pulleys on some of the cars at the bash.

PRND321 Till I DIE

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 5:33 AM
I love the alternator pulley i got from you Mike, im in for the ECO crank pulley no matter when there done.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 6:24 AM
-MD- pm sent to you about this..

i am interested in an eco alt pulley and crank pulley...
Tuesday, November 20, 2007 7:46 PM
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the coating, color looks nice, very tough. And if the first shop has quicked his pace GREAT!!!! I just know those of us on the first run waited a very long time. I don't mine waiting really it's not that big a deal, just thought I would ask

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 10:20 AM
let me know when you launch the next LD9 GP ... cause im in...

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 12:28 PM
-MD- LD9 wrote:Eric, yes the 6rib pulley is designed. No sure what I want to do yet. If / when I get a prototype made it WILL be sent your way along with a six rib alternator pulley.

Event, most are about $500, or they want to amortize the cost of the pulley across the cost of the full run. Which is fine and all, but then I have to go with them for the rest of the pulleys.

chm, I have one other hard coaters in mind, but they are twice as expensive are the one i used last time. His turn around and the second hard coated batch was only two-three weeks, which really is not that bad.

David, Thanks man. It was really nice seeing my pulleys on some of the cars at the bash.

you think theres a possibility for other car pulleys. i have no problem paying the 500$, i just need to do the research on if it has a harmonic damper setup and all first...

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 10:04 PM
you know im buyin a eco pulley the day they come out...regadless of cost..phil
Wednesday, November 21, 2007 11:34 PM
Mike,

I just shot an email out to you....

Get in contact with me when you can... email or phone is okay.

Thanks

Thursday, November 22, 2007 11:59 AM
I'm in for eco alt pulley and crank pulley...
Sunday, November 25, 2007 8:32 AM
let me know when the ld9 are out to

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2623318

Monday, November 26, 2007 5:07 AM
Event, shoot me a PM. I do not see any problems with making other pulleys.

Karo, your email is interesting, but I'm not sure.....yet.

PRND321 Till I DIE

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 5:28 PM
Extreme Delusions(Speedline Z) wrote:let me know when you launch the next LD9 GP ... cause im in...

im in the same boat. im kicking myself for not buying these on the first run, but funds werent available then. now im working full time, so.... let me know when these come out.

1997 RedR - ZedR
Tuesday, November 27, 2007 8:37 PM
Im in for Eco crank Pulley for sure!
Wednesday, November 28, 2007 12:45 PM
im in for the LD9 crank when they are ready..

----------
i who have nothing but the comfort of my sins...
Monday, December 03, 2007 3:54 AM
LD9 cranks pricing are confirmed. 15-20 people required for good pricing.
LN2 and L61 still in discussion.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search