MAGNAFLOW ON STOCK EXHAUST??!!! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
MAGNAFLOW ON STOCK EXHAUST??!!!
Monday, April 14, 2008 6:51 PM
I have a 02 z24 and thinking about putting a magnaflow muffler on it not full syystem just muffler. I really dont care too much about performance since I have a 01 ws6 to satisfy my needs to go fast. I really would like to make it sound a little better I love magnaflows sound. What magnaflow model would you reccomend? and what size is the stock exhaust so I would find the right diameter inlet muffler? Thanks guys

02 Cavalier Z24- Free CAI I made
02 Trans am ws6 - Pace setter long tube headers, off road y-pipe,magnaflow exhaust, slp lid, bored polished throttle body, throttle body by pass, some other free mods, jegster lower control arms. best ET 12.7@112mph Heads/Cam in future

Re: MAGNAFLOW ON STOCK EXHAUST??!!!
Monday, April 14, 2008 6:57 PM
standard response #143: stock exhaust is 1 7/8 outside. putting a different muffler on a stock exhaust will not change the sound for the better on our cars.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, April 14, 2008 7:06 PM
Are you sure cause I think it would on a twin cam 2.4 motor my buddy acutally put a 600 bike performance muffler on his and it sounded so good not ricy or anything.

02 Trans am ws6 - Pace setter long tube headers, off road y-pipe,magnaflow exhaust, slp lid, bored polished throttle body, throttle body by pass, some other free mods, jegster lower control arms. best ET 12.7@112mph Heads/Cam in future
Monday, April 14, 2008 7:07 PM
And also magnaflow mufflers are not the crapy ricy mufflers im sure a lot of people put on that think will sound good.

Monday, April 14, 2008 7:17 PM
i say give it a shot, the muffler alone shouldnt be that expensive anyway...
Monday, April 14, 2008 8:04 PM
Try this one: http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=6913
or this one: http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=6884
gonna have to get a tip for both of those.
OR if ur not down for that, Get one of these: http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/streetmufflers.asp?shape=5in.x8in.%20Oval
In any case, your gonna have to find a shop to put in a collar to bump up the size of your stock pipe to the larger diameter of the new muffler and weld or clamp it together.

Monday, April 14, 2008 8:10 PM
I do all my own work I have a welder and equipment to do everything and advance down the street sells exhaust reducers and connectors. So I guess I could use a 2" inlet

Monday, April 14, 2008 8:25 PM
yes. i know magnaflow is not a rice muffler. even though for a four cylinder engine the 2.4 is a large displacement engine, it lacks the sheer displacement to sound good without a large amount of modification. i will restate:

standard response #143: stock exhaust is 1 7/8 outside. putting a different muffler on a stock exhaust will not change the sound for the better on our cars.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, April 14, 2008 8:42 PM
Thanks Rich, Well hopefully I can prove you wrong when I put a magnaflow on it. lol How is it much different from anyother catback other than retaining the smaller diameter pipe? I think what a lot of guys are trying to do that doesnt sound goood is buying these coffee can crap off ebay that have 4-5" tips that are making it sound like straight ass. If you use a small inlet like 2" with a 2.5" core I dont think it would sound to bad but I could be wrong We will find out though!

Monday, April 14, 2008 10:07 PM
just putting it out there since i to have a 02 Ws6 and like the sound of it when it was stock.. but if you like the sound of the TA.. and i know you said you don't want to do a full system... but you could always get a Magnaflow muffler for the T/A and run a 2.25 or 2.5 pipe back to it and any exhaust shop can just adapt it to the 3" inlet of the muffler and have two 2.5" dual exhaust outlets.. i even used my WS6 tips from the original exhaust on my sunfire.. here ill post up some pics so you can see.. and also all i did was find some one else who had done this and took some of their pictures into a exhaust shop (they do performance stuff to high end cars as well which might have helped) and said i want this done and they said sure.. and i love the sound with a 30" resonator and the TA muffler not loud at all which is what i like.

I would do it for the nice sound even if i wasn't going for performance, as it is defiantly not a ricy loud sound and it looks stock and clean looking from the back, not a big 3" coffee can hanging around your back muffler

The First Twin Charged jbody
blue car (R.I.P) - 240whp @7psi..
silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
All dynos run on a Mustang dyno
Tuesday, April 15, 2008 6:05 AM
^^^i like you but wtf is with the double spoiler lol

1997 Cavalier Z24 - 15.647 @ 88.02 MPH

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 6:27 AM
I did have the magnaflow catback on the ta but hated it after longtube headers and off road y went on way to eco sounding, I replaced the magna with spintech and love it.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 7:47 AM
whitegoose( RedR-ZedR) wrote:^^^i like you but wtf is with the double spoiler lol

double the downforce dude. thats the latest thing lol

Quote:

my buddy acutally put a 600 bike performance muffler on his

$600 for a muffler??? if i ever paid that much for a muffler, there better be some hot blonde in the box thats going to suck me off for that price.

and a friend of mine had a magnaflow system on his cav. sounded like crap

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Tuesday, April 15, 2008 7:52 AM
99redz24 wrote:
Quote:

my buddy acutally put a 600 bike performance muffler on his

$600 for a muffler??? if i ever paid that much for a muffler, there better be some hot blonde in the box thats going to suck me off for that price.

is it possible he ment for a 600cc bike? thats what i gathered from it...

1997 Cavalier Z24 - 15.647 @ 88.02 MPH
Tuesday, April 15, 2008 10:43 AM

A 600cc bike dumb dumb. And I am sure your friend cavy was a 2.2 cause everything sounds like crap on those!

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 11:21 AM
Josh F wrote:and i love the sound with a 30" resonator

What kind of resonator are you using?

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 11:26 AM
Quote:

A 600cc bike dumb dumb. And I am sure your friend cavy was a 2.2 cause everything sounds like crap on those!

1) no need to call me names. re-reading your original post i thought you could of meant a 600 cc bike muffler

2) my friends car had the 2.4 in it

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Tuesday, April 15, 2008 1:34 PM
99redz24 I was just playin man sorry if you took anything personal its funny you though I was saying 600 bucks for a muffler!

ey "j to envy" or "Josh F"do you have any sound clips?

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 1:39 PM
No sounds clips here, sorry. Mine no longer sounds "ricey" after adding a Pacesetter armor coated 4:1 header, Magnaflow 16" high flow cat, Magnaflow 22" resonator and 2 new Magnaflow mufflers, but it's still way too loud IMO . I'm trying to figure out what I can do to quiet it down.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 6:45 PM
whitegoose( RedR-ZedR) wrote:^^^i like you but wtf is with the double spoiler lol

lol i just swaped over all the body kit stuff from my blue car to this one.. and i left the spoiler off for a few weeks and it just didnt look right plus with 400+hp i can handle "yea well you have 2 spoilers" after i walk all over there mustang, trans am, corvette ect [

99redz24 wrote:$600 for a muffler??? if i ever paid that much for a muffler, there better be some hot blonde in the box thats going to suck me off for that price.

ahah i payed about that much for my muffler on my R6 (well insurance company did when i had my "miss happ" ahah).. but it was also carbon fiber.. and actually the stock titaniam one was even more i think its about $900

Joahua Cole wrote:99redz24 I was just playin man sorry if you took anything personal its funny you though I was saying 600 bucks for a muffler!
ey "j to envy" or "Josh F"do you have any sound clips?

No sorry none right now.. i will try to get you some when i get my car up and running again this year..

The First Twin Charged jbody
blue car (R.I.P) - 240whp @7psi..
silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
All dynos run on a Mustang dyno
Thursday, April 24, 2008 6:22 PM
Well I got it on and sounds great here is link to pics and vid of post in the right section
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=46&i=342772&t=342772

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 10:11 PM
I had the original system before with and decide to put a vibrant # 1043
on my 2.4 98 .. it had a great sound

Sunday, May 25, 2008 9:36 PM
i have a stock eco cav with a magnaflow muffler i love it. sounds perfect deep mellow tone. not ricey. looks great, DO IT.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search