got the new DD home! and some progress too! - Page 2 - Mid East Region Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: got the new DD home! and some progress too!
Wednesday, January 23, 2008 12:02 PM
kevin: eventually, yeah thats the plan. dont have the cash to even think about it right now though.

to the rest of you thanks! ill have some finished and installed pics in a little bit!

coming back in 2008...

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:44 PM
i'm very happy with the finished product. one down, one to go. let me know what you guys think!

coming back in 2008...
Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:52 PM
looks good ben..i like it...i like to drive it also

now get that quarter fixed up so we can do some cruisin this year!

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 2:53 PM
you're right, for that price....that looks considerably better.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 3:14 PM
rear bumper is gonna be a few days before i can start on it. ive got class this friday and saturday and ive got a 30 minute presentation due friday night. yeah, i havent started on it yet so thats what tomorrow and friday morning are for. so i might take it off sunday sometime and do all that good stuff.

thanks for the nice words everyone.

i might just make a post in P&M about this....thats how happy i am with the turn out!

coming back in 2008...
Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:40 PM
my local paint shop is only gonna charge me 45 bucks for 8 cans

13.1 @ 115
Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:41 PM
good deal. the red that i got for my car was only $7.50 a can. this stuff was more cause of the extra sparkle in it

coming back in 2008...
Wednesday, January 23, 2008 6:37 PM
I'm more impressed with the color matching than anything, being the different variants there always are.

Michael Barr wrote:my local paint shop is only gonna charge me 45 bucks for 8 cans

Dare I ask what you need 8 cans for?

I understand this was done for such and such reason, but all this serves as on this site is how to do things the cheap way and have another half-assed who cares about j-body. Be really nice if someone would spend the time and money to do things right for a change, versus trying to find the easiest way out. Whatever works though, looks good for the cost I suppose.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 6:44 PM
wow holy crap I bow to your spray bomb abilities.

teach me obiwan

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 6:46 PM
PJ you dont know it yet but your volunteered for a road trip to bens soon ..... Ben If i had the money to lend you I would get that panel for you.

Click Sig for Jersey GM's Official Website

Thursday, January 24, 2008 12:09 AM
Joe Schulte wrote:I understand this was done for such and such reason, but all this serves as on this site is how to do things the cheap way and have another half-assed who cares about j-body. Be really nice if someone would spend the time and money to do things right for a change, versus trying to find the easiest way out. Whatever works though, looks good for the cost I suppose.

i understand where youre coming from....but i feel that sometimes a car is just a car. for instance, this is my DD. it had a black bumper and i didnt like that, so i made it a green bumper to match the car. me finding an 00+ in manta green (esp locally) was a near impossibility, especially since i dont think they used that color for those years.

were this my show car, then its a 180 difference. i couldnt take a short cut like this. however, for what it was needed for, this was the only viable solution. i know most people on here say that you HAVE to do things a certain way and if it isnt done like that then its wrong and automatically a piece of crap. but sometimes its ok to take short cuts. at least in my opinion.

and even though i dont think you were necessarily meaning anything as an insult (and i didnt take it like that) i still feel the need to stand up for the everday modder....the ones on a budget. while it would have been nice to have spent money on it and have it done right, that simply was not an option at all. so, when something like that happens, you can choose to take a short cut, but put a little extra time into it, or you can half ass it.

i prepped, primed, and cleared just like any shop would have....even using the same materials as them. the only difference was the tools. instead of a compressor and HVLP (like i was lucky enough to use when i painted the car in my sig) i instead used an aerosol can. as you can see in the pics, the paint matches nearly perfectly. and i wont lie....it does match in person too, so its not just the pics hiding imperfections.

so what im getting at is this: while i would never tell someone to just rattle can their body kit and be done with it (as it is ALWAYS better to be professionally done) i am at least willing to admit that sometimes taking a shortcut is ok. when given the choice of a professionally painted black bumper on a green car or a rattle canned green bumper on a green car, i chose the latter. i am quite happy with my decision and honestly do think it was the right one to make.

what do you think is worse for the jbody scene: mismatched car body parts that you can see from far away, or small imperfections that can only be seen up close? and please dont take this personally....cause i knew at some point someone was gonna say it should have just been professionally done...so ive kinda been kicking around a defense for a few days lol.

coming back in 2008...

Thursday, January 24, 2008 12:17 AM
Car looks good even though its in the wrong state!!!! Oh well i hope you treat her good and if you get rid of it let me know....i still want a DT

RIP JESSE GERARD.....7.11.87/1.25.08(sunfireboi)
You have received a forum warning:

Warning: Don't ever wish harm On an Ohio state player you Douche canoe...
Expires: Sunday, October 10, 2010 6:47 AM PT

Thursday, January 24, 2008 12:46 AM
dont worry....youll be the first on my list if i do.

coming back in 2008...
Thursday, January 24, 2008 9:40 AM
I don't disagree one bit of how you did things, and why you did it. I just see things like Michael Barr purchasing 8 cans and here I am going .

I guess I see this as a tutorial that many will cling to for the wrong reasoning .

You got my drift, I got yours.

/story

Thursday, January 24, 2008 10:18 AM
DaFlyinSkwirl (PJ) - APU wrote:wow holy crap I bow to your spray bomb abilities.

teach me obiwan

x2

but like joe said, im afraid people are gonna see this thread then start grabbin spray cans and think there picasso..

Thursday, January 24, 2008 10:46 AM
Wow that really turned out good for a aerosol can, I think you should atleast take a can to the rear quarter until you have the resources to properly fix it. I would just want to cover up the rust for the time being as it is a gaint eyesore.

I do see where Joe is comming from.

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Thursday, January 24, 2008 11:17 AM
yeah i know what joe means too. and like i said, i would never advocate spray bombing for most anything else. ahh well....i guess we can keep it our little secret here in the mid east forum, eh?

coming back in 2008...
Thursday, January 24, 2008 12:03 PM
joe-the only reason is im painting my car when i get back form traning in august but im sick of my front sides and rear being black so y not make a lil better till the whole car gets painted

13.1 @ 115
Thursday, January 24, 2008 12:07 PM
and some of us dont have some big time job i for one are in the navy and dont make the greatest money in the world but it gets me through. when i took the pic for my sig i painted that with my paint gun so trust me i know the difference big time. all im saying is that for that cheap of a price y not make it match till i strip it all down and paint it white

13.1 @ 115
Thursday, January 24, 2008 4:44 PM
Nice pick up, Ben! I always love WW stuff, too.

And I think I'm gonna buy some of that spray paint and spray my entire car with it.

Just kidding, of course.

Good job!

Thursday, January 24, 2008 7:54 PM
wow...looks hot, where'd you get it?

Friday, January 25, 2008 1:31 AM
crystal: we might be having a mini J meet sometime in february. i know its a trip for you, but you should think about making a trip up here! and hell, bring the new beau too! introduce him to some WV, PA, and OH peeps

paulie: so....you needin a bouncer for the bash? i'll volunteer my services to keep all teh n00bs in line

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, January 25, 2008 1:32 AM

coming back in 2008...
Friday, January 25, 2008 6:24 AM
Bouncer? I got bets you be half da problems We only had one douche bag moment last year, and he won't be attending this year, so we should be ok. Besides...I checked him anyways Your spray bomb skills/ideas have inspired me to look into that route on the 240, cuz @!#$...I don't care, I just want it half decent

Friday, January 25, 2008 7:47 AM
uh oh......

we'll bomb the whole car and win "best paint" at the bash with your 240. never mind the fact that it isnt GM....

coming back in 2008...
Friday, January 25, 2008 6:56 PM
i got bombing skills like you wouldn't believe...and you might be witness to them come june/july lol

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search