Finally some pics! - Page 4 - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Finally some pics!
Sunday, March 15, 2015 1:41 PM
Fired up the beast and took it for a ride today, all went well!

In the next couple of days, some good news will be posted with pictures!

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 7:33 PM
MSW Type 25 grey rims & 205/50/16 Kumho tires!

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 9:27 AM
So what's a list of things yet to be done to yours, Wayne?
Wednesday, March 18, 2015 1:14 PM
I'm a creative dude, so I'm going to try and design and make and bolt on a custom body kit this year. I have a few ideas and we'll just have to see if they work.

I need to find a power antenna, and then I will put the new fenders on the car. When I do that, I will finish installing the remote starter. While the dash is apart, I plan to fix my lousy job of a radio installation (this was the first radio I ever did, and I didn't do a good job of taping the wires, now that I've discovered how to crimp wires together, I will do that).

I need to find a new seal for my sunroof and get that done (Ron, where do I get that seal, I can't find the link you posted a few years ago on another thread?).

By the time I get that done this year, it will probably be fall/winter and then it's wait until near springtime and off to the body shop for sanding/painting. Maybe in 2017 I'll have the money to add the graphics.

After all that, I will then figure out what I want to do with the interior. I do know what $600 seats I want to put in the car...

By the time I'm done with the interior in oh, who knows, 2020, hopefully I'll have a place with a garage and I will start working on getting together everything I need to put in a 3.4 V6. Don't know if it will ever really happen, but those are the plans.

Of course, if Who Wants to Be a Millionaire or Jeopardy finally call me, the timetable will certainly move up!
Wednesday, March 18, 2015 9:47 PM
Wayne give me your year model as I know your model car.Next I assume you have a factory sunroof (Right) just let me know.I already have A part number for the sunroof seal but,it may be a touch different being yours is a buick and gm may not cross that over to the Chevrolet side.I will do my research on my choice sites and locate what you need after that.Side note I think the roof seal would be the same imo and I need a new seal too.

Thursday, March 19, 2015 5:56 AM
1985, factory sunroof.

I believe all the sunroofs are the same size, from what I remember, GM didn't install them, the cars were sent somewhere prior to dealership delivery. I'm lucky enough to have the bag for my glass!
Thursday, March 19, 2015 8:24 PM
I will double check and link what I find.I am pretty sure the info I have as long as it is still valid will work.

Thursday, March 19, 2015 9:26 PM
Ok go to http://www.gmpartsdirect.com Once on the page click the catalog tab,then next enter your specs,then go to body highlight.Scroll down and click the see ALL diagrams.The section you want is the 6th diagram on the right side showing the sunroof section.Click the block for the sunroof and then go to part #2 20534581 this is the part you NEED! I tried linking the freaking pain and it kept just showing the main page or re-enter your specs. This part number is still good obviously and the part is $30.00 ONLINE purchase and yes I was correct in my thinking as this seal is the same part for my cavalier!!!! There ya go wayne.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 5:58 AM
I just may have to find some other way, what a friggin rip-off!

$31.83 for the part, seems reasonable

$90.73 for shipping & handling??????? WTF??????

I'm gonna have to play around a bit, find out if this is an error or something. I could see that price if it was the glass itself, that's some heavy stuff, but the weatherstripping???
Wednesday, March 25, 2015 6:11 AM
This is what I wrote to customer service, we'll see what I get back. On the screen to email customer service, I did have to put in my make/model/year. They wanted the VIN, but I wasn't near the car or any papers that would have it.

I am looking to purchase weatherstripping for my sunroof panel, part # 20534581 with a price of $31.83.

While I don't have my VIN at hand, it is a coupe J-Body Buick SkyHawk with the removable glass sunroof.

However, at checkout, the shipping/handling is $90.73.

I want to make sure if this is correct or if an error was made as I could easily see this charge if I was ordering the glass itself, that's some heavy stuff, but weatherstripping?

Thank you for your time.
Wednesday, March 25, 2015 8:02 AM
and my answer from gmpartsdirect.com

Thank you for your inquiry to www.GmPartsDirect.com.

Unfortunately, the part number you have requested has been discontinued and is no longer available from GM. We are unable to supply this part. You will have to find an aftermarket source for this part.

I guess that's not happening, I'll have to find another solution

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 11:18 AM
I got the same response from them AFTER giving them my credit card number and getting a confirmation. They don't update their online catalog too well.
Wednesday, March 25, 2015 8:44 PM
Let me check my other alternative source and I will get back once I try to order that same part.I just want quite to all leads just dry up.

Saturday, March 28, 2015 6:08 AM
i would try your local windshield doctor or similar business for that sunroof seal. your local bodyshop or rv/marine dealer might also be able to help. auto weatherstrip comes in bulk rolls and is just cut to fit your particular application. the auto swap meets i go to often have some kind of dealer sselling all kinds of rubber seals etc. items like that are not always make/model specific. look in the salvage yard for any sunroof car and see if you can find a match. it doesnt have to be a j-body or even a gm as the auto makers used many of the same suppliers. the web is agreat resource but sometimes you have to do some leg work and face to face contact to find or learn what you need. do you have a local finnishmasters store in yor area? they sell all kinds of restoration products and have been a great help to me. they have been making sunroof cars for years and years, be patient you will find that seal.
Saturday, March 28, 2015 7:46 AM
Wayne Schiff wrote:MSW Type 25 grey rims & 205/50/16 Kumho tires!

Wayne, can you post a side view of the whole car - those wheels look sweet!

Sunday, March 29, 2015 10:10 PM
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/products/Buick/1985/Skyhawk2DRCUSTOM/WEATHERSTRIP-Roof-Vent-Window/2907840/20534581.html Ok wayne 2nd try on the sunroof seal.This should work and I did a quick try to go as far as almost buying it,and it show's it available.I guess going for the final step to pay will work and they can get or have the seal as I need the same one. Part # is 20534581 they kind of cross reference it but,it shows.If you get the green light and not a oh sorry not available I will try another idea if need be.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 1:00 PM
Thank you for finding it Ron, I also found another place gmpartsnow.com

I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but John's idea of a window guy sounds like the right idea for me. There's a place in town that I know will do it at a good price.

96S1--I have Windows 8 (yippie!) and it is notorious for not connecting whenever if feels like it; so some sites like this one don't always load for me. Getting pics to the host site and then to this one isn't always easy, but I'll try and get good pics of the side view. I attempted to do that the day I put the rims on the car, but the pics just didn't come out good enough to bother posting.

The next two weeks will also be short of time for me as I will be cramming for the Jeopardy test on April 14th...5th time is the charm?
Monday, May 11, 2015 4:34 AM
OK, test taken, test passed, hoping to be invited to an in-person audition. Also am in the contestant pool for the upcoming season of Millionaire!

Rims from the side:

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 5:56 AM
I have to jump in here with a little advice. The body work looks solid, the wheels look awesome, but I would seriously reconsider installing the stick on-scoops and I'd get rid of that oversize deck spoiler. The key to tasteful modifications that look good is to go low key, subtle and conservative. That is a beautiful car from the factory. You don't need to doll it up to make it look good.
I'd consider a small front air dam (a modified early 90s S10 one works well), tint the windows, a small lip type decklid spoiler and lower the car just a touch. Maybe monochrome or black out the trim too.
Body kits, oversize decklid spoilers and stick-on non functional scoops just make the car look cheezy - subtle is far more effective when it comes to mods on a car.

~ Mike ~

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 10:59 AM
This has been carefully planned, with many changes to the original plan. If I do something and I don't like it, I'll change it.

I do have a turbo hood on it now, but until I find another turbo hood, those scoops on a flat hood are the original plan for my backup.

When this is done with the paint and graphics I plan, it will look like one bad-arse mo-fo going down the road.
Tuesday, May 12, 2015 11:05 AM
I am enjoying your Progess Wayne!

From bone stock to mild to wild Every J-body is unique and special - just like their Owners!!

And the old saying goes - " Variety is the spice of life! "

I say that every car that is saved from the crusher - enjoyed and appreciated is all Great by me! Of course I am not so sure how a trip to work in Slick Vic's machine would fare with law enforcement!! Hahaa!!

Wayne , you get her just the way you have her in your mind and enjoy yourself. That is what we all are doing. As Paul likes to say - it is the journey. I am enjoying watching everyone's journey!

Saturday, May 30, 2015 5:48 AM
Sidepods! Yup, no more Z-24 embedded on them.

Sunday, September 06, 2015 6:22 PM
All the years of blood, sweat and tears really paid off today when sitting at a red light and two kids in their tuner rice runner said to me, "that car is badass...uh, what is it?"

That's right, THE HAWK IS BAD ASS!!!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search