Weatherstrips - Market research - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Weatherstrips - Market research
Monday, July 07, 2008 10:53 AM
For those interested, I am currently talking with the R&D to see if SoffSeal would possibly start tooling some weatherstripping for our beloved cars. Is there any interest on the board? I would love to tell them that there is someone other than me interested. I’ll keep you J-body fans updated!

-st

Re: Weatherstrips - Market research
Monday, July 07, 2008 3:44 PM
I'd be game if they were doing a run of convertible weatherstripping. Mostly the door / window rubber seals if what I need.

Monday, July 07, 2008 7:25 PM
Right there with Daryl.

I need rear window trim and door trim... I would totally be in.

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 8:21 AM
I would f'ing kill for convertible weatherstripping. The whole 9 yards - door, top seals, window seals, etc. Just a SINGLE door weatherstripping from GM is $200!!!! Every convertible gasket was hand made/modified by ASC when they tops were chopped so they're all these ridiculus weird shapes etc.

I would probobly pay several hundred if I could get all new gaskets that I knew would last at least 10 years if properly maintained. IIRC there are much better modern solutions to just plain rubber like the old gaskets were.

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 5:27 PM
Well, after speaking with the guy in the R&D dept, I am hopeful that they may come through. He told me that they have a meeting next Thursday to discuss potential new products and that he would bring this up. He told me that he would get in touch with me around the end of this month. He was very professional over the phone and has mentioned that he had shared an opinion that people will be restoring the ‘smaller’ cars instead of the larger ‘classics’. Regardless, I hope anyone and everyone with the J-body cars contact SoffSeal and request support for these fun cars.
Tuesday, July 08, 2008 5:37 PM
Protonus – I totally agree. My eyes simply hurt looking at all the different universal seals as well as OEM convertible seals for other cars. If you are looking for the belt weatherstrips, forget it. I was told that I purchased the last two OEM known in existence for the ’85 –‘87, sad. I would love to see an aftermarket scene for weatherstrips, fenders, doors,…etc. Until then, I have salvage yards calling me when a new car comes in so I can hoard parts. Again, sad.
Thursday, July 10, 2008 7:27 PM
I could use new window weatherstrips for my doors too.

Tony
1987 Sunbird GT turbo convert
Ported intake, Fiero 53 MM TB, 52 lb inj, ported and flowed head, tube header, Mitsu TD06, ARP rod
bolts/head studs, adj cam sprocket, 4" x 12" x 31" FMIC, Paxton AFPR, modified 125 trans/LSD
unit/3.42's, custom chip tuning, Alky Control Methanol injection
13.61 ET at 101.44 mph, 262 WHP/350WTQ

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP roadster, 2.0 turbo w/GMPP exh, CAI and turbo upgrade, 290 hp/325 ft lbs

1969 Olds 442 convert
400 Eng, 200-4R trans, 3.73 posi, power everything, OAI

Saturday, July 12, 2008 9:02 PM
May I correct the technical name for the strip that goes on the doors on the outside that is molded ( window sweep) against the glass and is hard rubber with the sweep that touches the glass.Nobody makes this for Js but,if u have other gms like camaro,monte etc they make them? I know mine are the full length of the door and curved at the mirrors and cracked like a biatch.The seals that go inside the door are avail,thru various sources.I am so way tired of google searches and zero is what is avail.

Sunday, July 13, 2008 1:31 PM
Damn... Count me in..need innies and outies for windows, rear window dividers pieces, etc for my 84 vert... keep in touch!
Peter
Sunday, July 20, 2008 11:15 AM
I did a search on google and found this:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/ALL-RUBBER-WINDOW-CHANNELS/GP_2009944_N_111+1984+200728446+600003813_10101.jcw
are they ok for our cars? I found a lot of door seals also, but, are this the ones for the windows that you are looking for?

My Cardomain page :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2536425

Sunday, July 20, 2008 9:27 PM
Nope that goes in the channel that the glass goes up and down in, and is in the frame of the door.What most of us are in need of is the molded rubber that is on the outside of the door on coupes that is molded to the full length of the door and and is curved going towards the mirror and has a window sweep or rubber that touches the outside of the glass and this part has plastic and rubber and small grooves in it.Hope this clarifies things a little bit.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 10:50 AM
I need all the weatherstrips for my '87 'vert. I don't drive it much anymore as I spend way more time driving THIS:

but I plan on keeping the Cav for a long time still as it gets great gas mileage

If you got it, a BIG truck brought it!
Tuesday, August 26, 2008 8:42 AM
Quick update; I spoke with SoffSeal this morning and it appears that they are moving forward with weatherstrip replacements. Unfortunately, don’t expect anything soon as it could be 6 mo. to a year before we see anything. I’ll try to keep in touch with SoffSeal and pass it along.
Tuesday, August 26, 2008 12:25 PM
Awesome! Thanks Scott!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 12:40 PM
sweet doomie could use some

Satch Timeline Progress Thread
JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.
Monday, September 01, 2008 1:46 PM
Nice, my vert could definately use new ones. Keep us posted.

Thanks,
Jason

USACi =>146.9db
14.88 @ 90.73MPH =>GM Charger, Motor Mounts, Catback exhaust
Sunday, September 14, 2008 6:16 PM
Scott: Thanks for keeping on top of this for us..You Da Man!..I find it somewhat hard to believe, however, that someone doesn't have a stash of all these old weatherstrips, somewhere out there...Did Gm scrap all their generation one parts..It's almost like they treated these cars as throwaway models.. There were tons of them made, and many still running! Even the aftermarket parts guys don't have many parts for them!
Peter
Sunday, September 14, 2008 9:40 PM
Just like to add my name to the want list... I could really use a set...
Sunday, October 19, 2008 8:57 PM
In the middle of the page are the weatherstrips for
passenger or driver side.

http://www.iautobodyparts.com/chevy/cavalier/1987-parts-0.html

I have a question, the bumpers that they sale there are the
plastic exterior part? I have a 84 sedan but it has 2 black
protectors that I don't like( linked pic ), the structure of my bumpers are
ok, just the outer part is craked.
So I was thinking of buying the ones for the z24, will they fit?

My Cardomain page :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2536425

Saturday, December 13, 2008 9:44 PM
What's the status of those weather strips for the drvr/pass doors and vert seals etc at this time if you know.

Friday, January 09, 2009 8:38 AM
Ron Love wrote:What's the status of those weather strips for the drvr/pass doors and vert seals etc at this time if you know.

Yea any word for the verts?

Satch Timeline Progress Thread
JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Friday, January 16, 2009 5:11 PM
Ron, right now I do not know. I need to give them a call and see what is going on. Hopefully I'll have some time next week to follow up on this. I'll keep you all updated.
Saturday, January 17, 2009 1:00 PM
I need a full set (doors and top) for my 'vert.

If you got it, a BIG truck brought it!
Saturday, January 17, 2009 10:51 PM
Sweet I sent a email to metro mmp asking specifically about the outside molded window sweep molded to the door with the sweep incorporated into it.I still have not heard anything.Imagine that.The above company makes sweeps,seal and do not offer any for js and steele rubber products does not either on the window sweep.Searching is tough being nobody makes them and unless a warehouse of oem gm parts for 80s js shows up or gm goes back to making these to stay afloat (prolly NOT) along with other j parts not available were up the creek.I like the idea of parts found idea tho or reproduction,I know I am dreaming.

Sunday, January 18, 2009 8:14 AM
I looked in a JCWhitney catalog and was able to get most of the seals. They carry a big variety And around 20 - 30 dollars a roll not a bad deal.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search