ABS module delete - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ABS module delete
Saturday, March 21, 2009 3:04 PM
OK guys.. i have a way to completely remove my abs module without ANY kind of distribution block...just 4 lines coming out of a master cylinder.
what im wondering is...what will happen once i throw the module out? i know the light will come on but that is easily fixed . does the abs control anything else? i dont think it does but i wanted to hear it from others more versed in the brake system..thanks.

Re: ABS module delete
Sunday, March 22, 2009 5:40 PM
if you have an automatic with traction control its controlled through the ABS, it wont effect anything else.

Sunday, March 22, 2009 11:05 PM
The older cavy's w/o abs have all 4 lines coming directly off the master cylinder....no distro block used.
Monday, March 23, 2009 5:10 PM
What kind of master cylinder you using scott? I've ditched the ABS already. Just haven't found a good replacemdnt master cylinder yet. Are you gonna have to adapt any lines or anything.

My Cardomain Page
Monday, March 23, 2009 7:07 PM
the master i have is a bolt up to the brake booster..and all 4 lines run directly to the master...2 of the lines on the Jwill screw right on..the other 2 will need the tip of the brake lines clipped off and 2 of the fittings slid on the the line double flarred, bleed the brake system and your done...i also opted for solid black resivour rather than white..so i wont need a cover....oh, and the sensor plugs right in

Monday, March 23, 2009 8:02 PM
I think I know which one you're using. Now I just have to figure out which line goes where on the mc IE front left, backright, etc.

My Cardomain Page
Monday, March 23, 2009 11:48 PM
and what unit is this? I'm slightly interested.

could you PM me a cost and P.N.?

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 5:11 AM
anyone interested in getting rid of their huge abs module in their engine bay i will soon be offering these brake masters ( hopefully polished) to anyone that wants one..it will come with a master cylinder,resivour,correct fittings, and instructions on what to do to make it fit.
and as long as you are ok with the "electrical" issues related to this ( brake light on dash, no traction control or abs obviously) then it should be a simple install.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 6:19 AM
^ yea provided we get this one to work as planned. then we will be putting these up for sale.but not til we make sure.(wich looks like it will work)

I NEED a 97-99 LD9 engine harness for an auto.PM if u hav info.!!
Tuesday, March 24, 2009 7:06 PM
Id be interested since my abs and trac control dont work anyway

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 7:22 PM
How difficult would it be on my 98 cav with a 5sp??

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 7:49 PM
i was just going to go with an 00+ one on my 97 and not worry about it. was only doing it to ditch weight...

is your 'option' lighter than the 00+ stuff?

Needing 2.3 oil pump stuff? PM me...
Tuesday, March 24, 2009 8:02 PM
i dont remember. i mean. obviously it doesnt have that huge ass distribution block and module so there goes that weight. as far as mc to mc. i think they both weigh the same brad. only problem we saw with the 00+ was that 2 lines go in through the left side so on us pre 00 guys we wouldhave to try to re bend em. with this setup all 4 openings are on the right side and its barely any bends to make the lines bolt up.

I NEED a 97-99 LD9 engine harness for an auto.PM if u hav info.!!
Tuesday, March 24, 2009 8:35 PM
yea, im not sure what you mean by 00+ where as ANY Jbody ive seen had a module or distribution block of SOME kind....this eliminates ALL that.
you will however need to take it to a brake shop to have it installed..as it calls for 2 of the 4 fittings to be changed..and brake lines have a "double flar" tip, so unless you have a double flar tool..which i doubt you do..you will need to take it to a shop and have them put the 2 fittings on, then bleed the brakes...done.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:38 AM
You can get the ECU reflashed for the non-abs setup. This will eliminate the ABS light on the dashboard... Just went through this when the master ABS motor pack died on me. No more lights for me!
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:18 AM
thats true..or if you have a 95-99 you can simply take off your cluster cover and put a piece of black tap behind the abs and you wont see the light anymore

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:26 AM
Thats what I did

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 11:21 AM
or take the cluster apart and break the bulb off. . . .

did that with the ABS, AirBag, and seat-belt lights.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 6:54 PM
does this new unit combine the 2 rear lines and 2 front lines? would work better for someone that would like to run a line lock and not want to buy 2.....

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:11 PM
I SATCHMOE YOU!!!! wrote:Id be interested since my abs and trac control dont work anyway
Exactly!

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:26 PM
ecotecpower wrote:
I SATCHMOE YOU!!!! wrote:Id be interested since my abs and trac control dont work anyway
Exactly!

Yea gotta love it worked fine then one day no more

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 7:56 PM
Boosted2point4 wrote:does this new unit combine the 2 rear lines and 2 front lines? would work better for someone that would like to run a line lock and not want to buy 2.....

not sure i know what your saying ??? not want to buy 2 ???
and no it doesnt combine the front and rear lines...having the lines combined is not the best way to run a brake line system.
you are supposed to connect the front left with the rear right..and vise versa..while still making sure that your front brakes do the majority of the work...there are also other factors at work here..the dynamics of a brake fluid system have to be considered...the size of the master piston vs the length of its stroke compared to the size and stroke of the brake caliper piston etc, its really a bit more complicated than i think most of you realize, thats why i want to make sure everything is PERFECT before letting any of them go..but what do you mean by "buying 2 " ?

Wednesday, March 25, 2009 9:09 PM
I think he means buying 2 line locks, one for the LR and one for the RR. If the rears are joined on one line you need only 1 line lock.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:10 AM
ohh , sorry , i get what your saying now...but no..the lines will not be combined, sorry

Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:35 AM
ill leave this up to you guys that actually know what your doing here because i do not. the most ive ever done with brakes is a rotor/pad change and top off the master cylinder LOL

it does sound like it's something id like to have though (the part where you dont need to bend the lines is what sold me).

so, i'll wait until you guys have something for me to look at because otherwise im lost in the dark

Needing 2.3 oil pump stuff? PM me...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search