ABS module delete - Page 3 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: ABS module delete
Sunday, September 13, 2009 9:17 AM
Some pics of your setup would be nice.
Also, I'm guessing you used the stock port configuration with your master cylinder so that being the case, how did you do your flares?
I've got all the flare nuts needed to do mine but don't want to go through the expense of having to buy a more expensive flare tool.

Glad to know too that it works good for you. That's what I'm wanting to hear as I got fed up with the abs unit not wanting to bleed.
Thanks again.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Sunday, September 13, 2009 9:23 AM
I'm using the master cylinder pictured above (I believe from a mid 90s nn-body). When I picked it up at the yard, I cut the hard lines that way I would have the tubing nuts I needed. I bought a cheap bubble flare tool from HERE. Just reflared and rebent the stock lines. It really cleaned up the engine bay and probably took a totak of 30 minutes.
Sunday, September 13, 2009 9:34 AM
Subscribed

Nice work James.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.
Sunday, September 13, 2009 9:39 AM
Wow that last reply was bad. I should have spell checked it. LOL
Sunday, September 13, 2009 10:56 AM
Well I ordered the parts I needed for my AN setup to the stock master cylinder.
After bench bleeding the master cylinder, all is working good on the original unit which is now the master cylinder I'm going to use.
I've already got the two lower ports tapped and decided that I needed the proper 12Mx1 to 1/8NPT to make it work.,
The ones pictured are a combination banjo bolt and 1/8 adapter which is something that I misjudged to be the right part.
I've now got the right part ordered so it all should be here next week for the brake setup.

And like you Cavette, I'm going to reflare the existing ends with the 37 degree AN flare so that they can go directly to the -3AN fittings on the master cylinder.

I'm also hitting up the junkyard again next week and pick me up a newer master cylinder with bowl so that I can tap it with a new tap as the one I used is a bit worn down from all the work I've done on the chassis.
This way the installation is proper with a newer master cylinder too.

Geez, I never knew that I'd be going through all this just to do a Neon rear disc swap and Wilwood brake kit.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Monday, September 14, 2009 6:23 AM
wat an size are u guys using? -03 or -04
Monday, September 14, 2009 2:56 PM
I've been using -3AN.
Since we're running 3/16 hardlines, I preferred the -3 sizing for what I'm doing.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Wednesday, September 16, 2009 6:54 PM
UPDATES? PICS?
Thursday, September 17, 2009 1:58 AM
Got the parts in from Jegs yesterday but the threaded portion of the the top two ports are 10.0X1 metric instead of the M12X1. So now I've got to reorder the correct M10 adapters again so that'll take a few more days for them to arrive.
I'll be doing the flares this weekend along with the realigning the hardlines to fit nicely into the master cylinder so that part is ready for the new adapters coming.
Pics coming by this weekend.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Sunday, October 04, 2009 12:31 PM
Well it's finally installed.
Here are the brake lines along with the unions already installed onto the lines.
I removed the rubber earls markers as they were not letting me mold the cables like I wanted.
I also picked 2, 10 to 12 inch lengths which worked out perfectly.

Here's the reflared lines that I did and awaiting their new hoses.

Here's the final setup and routing of the brake lines.

Now I've just got to bleed them through and hopefully get no leaks from anywhere.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Sunday, October 04, 2009 1:43 PM
Looks great, I used the stock lines and just rebent/reflared, but yours looks more "aftermarket". Good job.

HX35G Turbos For Sale!

Sunday, October 04, 2009 1:47 PM
that looks freakin badass like that. nice work man.

Sunday, October 04, 2009 3:10 PM
Cavette, I was going to do the same but didn't want to risk crimping one of the hard lines.
So I thought I'd try out some brake line flaring and seem to have succeeded.

The car bled flawlessly at all corners. I did have to make some connections a bit better and am seeing a minor leak with one of the hardlines.
Bummer if that's the case. I'll know soon.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Thursday, December 03, 2009 8:46 PM
Question for everyone. I believe the stock 2 bigger fitings on a 1997 Z24 are 12x1 does anyone know what size the 2 smaller fittings are. It seems to me that the 2 bigger fitings will work on the threaded holes. Can we just tap the 2 holes that are not threaded to the smaller size fittings. Using a stock M/C from a 1997 Z24. Or is there something big time I am missing.

Thanks
Gerry
Friday, December 04, 2009 7:58 AM
The two fittings are 10mm x 1.0 if I remember correctly.
The other two ports don't have any threading so they can be tapped for whatever size you want to work. \
And yeah, there's no reason why you can't just tap the other two ports the same so that the stock fittings will screw right in.
I didn't elect to do it this way because of the stress on the brake lines with having to bend them to conform/ fit to the master cylinder in an effort to make the connections.
It's a hassle to have to bend the lines and have them perfectly aligned to the ports for that perfect fit. One little bend too much and snap, there goes a kink in the bend or a ruined connection which would've entailed you to then figure something else out for the connection if that were to have happened.

Remember too that the stock Z24 had abs and all the master cylinders are the same for the cars.
You can go with a non abs master cylinder but then you stand to have to have 4 different connections to worry about as GM decided to f*ck with everybody with having to deal with figuring out how they're going to something custom with a master cylinder that has 4 different connection sizes on the 4 ports for your brake lines.

Or you could get a two port master cylinder in which you'd also have to get the distribution block from another car to divide the lines according to their respective tires. More work involved and another reason why I went the way I did.
Anyway, good luck with it and hope to have answered some of the questions you may have had.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search