Godzilla FSTB by OEM - Page 2 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Godzilla FSTB by OEM
Thursday, July 16, 2009 10:54 AM
I hadn't thought of it like that Mark, yet.

I've got a lot of ideas for parts, most of what I want is one off though and I'm no where near Florida.

Not to start anything myself, but you don' t control the forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, July 16, 2009 10:55 AM

Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:21 AM
I dont see how it would be better than the GM one when it does not even mount to the firewall! The GM one actually does triangulate by means of bolting to the firewall.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:47 AM
Triangulating (is that a word?) to the front rad support, which is a flimsy piece of metal that does nothing.... is there a point?

Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:50 AM
Wade Jarvis wrote:I dont see how it would be better than the GM one when it does not even mount to the firewall! The GM one actually does triangulate by means of bolting to the firewall.

Wade, are you kidding me? You can take the Gm bar and move it all around when its bolted to the car. None the less thanks for the review and your personal thoughts on the bar.

Mark-OEM

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Thursday, July 16, 2009 12:17 PM
All you guys do is bitch, it's sad it truly is.

Mark, make more items for a platform in which 80% of the owner's aren't whiny/unappreciative/cheap bastards

Don't like this brace. Build your own. GM is better? Buy the @!#$ GM one. It REALLY is that SIMPLE!

Thursday, July 16, 2009 12:30 PM
Beautiful bar, waiting to see how the actual product looks and Im down. The prototype for sure wont fit around my charge piping though. Why I got rid of my DC bar for a gm one.

Keep on making great parts!

Thursday, July 16, 2009 12:44 PM
OEM wrote:
Wade Jarvis wrote:I dont see how it would be better than the GM one when it does not even mount to the firewall! The GM one actually does triangulate by means of bolting to the firewall.

Wade, are you kidding me? You can take the Gm bar and move it all around when its bolted to the car. None the less thanks for the review and your personal thoughts on the bar.

Mark-OEM

Really? I have no problem with people making new thngs, it is great. Problem I have is when they come on here and bash other proven products. This is now the second time Mark has bashed GM products that he has no proof his works as good or better.

I have a GM strut brace at home, and now I will mount it and see if it moves. I had one in the past and do not recall that, but will check and post results, pictures video.

FU Tuning

Thursday, July 16, 2009 12:57 PM
Joe Schulte wrote:All you guys do is bitch, it's sad it truly is.

Mark, make more items for a platform in which 80% of the owner's aren't whiny/unappreciative/cheap bastards

Don't like this brace. Build your own. GM is better? Buy the @!#$ GM one. It REALLY is that SIMPLE!

X2

The douchebaggery in these threads has been ridiculous lately.

People, if you don't like it, go make a better one, or STFU.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:07 PM
John, whats stronger a straight bar or a curved bar?

Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:08 PM
Quiklilcav wrote:

X2

How about you STFU!! Public forun enough said.

FU Tuning

Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:21 PM
The factory bar is bent and curved, mine is straight across. Look at the factory bar, its got 1 " of weld on the side, mine is fully welded. If you dont like my bar, please just dont buy. If you think the factory bar is better, then stick with it.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:35 PM
John Lenko wrote:Triangulating (is that a word?) to the front rad support, which is a flimsy piece of metal that does nothing.... is there a point?

it actually does give an improvement. I built my own last summer. pictures are on here somewhere.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:44 PM
Mike (96RedCav) wrote:
John Lenko wrote:Triangulating (is that a word?) to the front rad support, which is a flimsy piece of metal that does nothing.... is there a point?

it actually does give an improvement. I built my own last summer. pictures are on here somewhere.

I'm trying hard not to take this thread further off topic... but anyway...

How exactly are you measuring this improvement? Do you have test equipment or independent reviews that will show a marked improvement in handling? (Just playing devil's advocate here...). I can think of many better ways to stiffen up the front of a J-body... replacing the flimsy bottom piece on the rad support with a boxed-in subframe (like I had to build to support the 3.8L V6) is a big improvement, but it's nothing compared to a proper set of sway bars front and rear.

As a last resort... after big fat sway bars, strut tower braces, bushing upgrades, etc... then I'd start worrying about bracing that flimsy rad support.

Back on topic... nice looking strut bar

Thursday, July 16, 2009 1:51 PM
all im saying is it is better than just an stb.....thats it. i dont need any "strut tower flex" test equipment to tell me what common sense can tell me. flimsy or not. it is still better.

Not trying to be a dick, but you can't tell me that it will offer no improvement over just an stb....I have already done the front and rear stb's, springs, shocks, bushings, and sway bars are coming.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, July 16, 2009 2:45 PM

Thursday, July 16, 2009 2:35 PM
John Higgins wrote:
Quiklilcav wrote:

X2

How about you STFU!! Public forun enough said.

Yep, public forum, and I am free to point out that you're just being a douchebag.

Any more problems with me, PM me so as not to further sh!t up his thread.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:03 PM
Kflo, no harsh feelings man. Been a little uptight the past couple days here.

Here are some pics of the bar Powder Coated and Engraved.

Mark-OEM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:07 PM

Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:12 PM
It looks good with the powdercoat on it.

Out of curiosity, what's the reason for it being pushed forward slightly from the mounting rings? From the pictures, it doesn't look to have anything it would interfere with if it was back further, and it would seem to allow better access to the brake fluid reservoir.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:28 PM
I could have flipped it, but the bar is so thick that it hits the hood gasket, lol. The production ones will fit behind, like the Gm one.

mark

Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:31 PM
Sorry KFLO im not in this thread to jack business or promote myself. I respect what OEM is trying to do here as i have had many similar threads. Im commenting soly as friendly advice or constructive criticism if you will.

The top rad support is boxed. Other than going down to the "frame rails" on our cars that would be one of the best spots on our cars to do that. Not as far out as that picture shows obviously. Bracing the bottom support would be pointless. Theres nothing out there to flex to justify bracing.

Just by looking at the Overkill bar you can tell the rigidity and support is much better than the GM bar. The only thing i would say the gm bar has over it is the tie to the fire wall. If the over kill bar had a 3rd mount there would be no question. Just based on being a fabricator myself id say 90% of the time a part like that will be of better quality and performance than a mass produced item.

OEM - Maybe give them an option. Add some front tabs to your top plates for some K bars. Then they could have them with or without the extra bars. If every strut bar came with the tabs people could upgrade later on down the road if they didn't opt for them now.

Atomic Fabrications
Full race and street car fabrication shop.
www.AtomicFabrications.com

Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:35 PM
Humm, good suggestion. I can look into that for the others. Like I said the Prod. one will fit behind so I can work with something back there when mocking them up.

Mark

Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:37 PM
Granted the above post was very well written and constructive, company-on-company posts like this are only going to create drama. I'd advise against it, it could even be member fueled and it's best to just avoid or keep behind closed doors.

John Higgins wrote:How about you STFU!! Public forun enough said.

Real mature.

Props.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:38 PM
OEM wrote:I could have flipped it, but the bar is so thick that it hits the hood gasket, lol. The production ones will fit behind, like the Gm one.

I was actually thinking just centered, but I was wondering what the reasoning was, because I couldn't see anything in the pics that indicated it was pushed forward to get around anything.
I have a GM bar, but I might consider one of these.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:36 PM
Joe Schulte wrote:Granted the above post was very well written and constructive, company-on-company posts like this are only going to create drama. I'd advise against it, it could even be member fueled and it's best to just avoid or keep behind closed doors.

Props.

That usually is true for most companys on the org offering parts to the J platform. I don't think myself or Overkill are most companys on the org. I make it a point to represent my shop and shops image with nothing but quality. From what i have seen of Mark on here seems like he dose the same. Plus, I don't offer nor do i ever plan to offer a strut bar for the j platform.

The way i look at it might be a little different than everyone else on here too. If Overkill Engineering sells a bunch of these as well as all his other products thats great. His company will get big and continue to grow. Offering more and more aftermarket parts to the J platform. The larger the aftermarket for a vehicle the more people will chose the J platform for there project. Meaning more potential customers for Him, Me, Hann, Karo. Its good for everybody in the long run not just him.

Think about how many people chose Honda's to build because there so easy. There aftermarket is ridiculous compared to ours and continues to get bigger in part because ours sucks so bad. So yes If i can help a fellow fabricator build a better part in any way than im going to offer any help i can.

Atomic Fabrications
Full race and street car fabrication shop.
www.AtomicFabrications.com

Thursday, July 16, 2009 5:32 PM
I should have bolded the member fueled portion of that, but I do agree.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:50 PM
am i the only one who reads when mark says he can make anything you want?

you want an OEM 10 point front strut tower brace? ok... put the money on the table and you'll get one. done.

I also seemed to have been the only one who read that mark WOULD do a triangulated brace bolted to the firewall for around $250. much like the one on the nissan he custom made. (pictured in this thread).

you've gotta read, people.

PFFT secret cams?! pm me if you want a real upgrade.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search