Godzilla FSTB by OEM - Page 3 - Suspension and Brake Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Godzilla FSTB by OEM
Friday, July 17, 2009 6:10 AM
^^^^

someone say put up the funds for a project?

-M

Remember....syringes go in the RED waste basket.

Friday, July 17, 2009 6:46 AM
u ever get that package i sent you mastin?

Friday, July 17, 2009 7:07 AM
Mastin, you MUST have won the lottery,lol. I love building these parts, but it seems that every time I build a part people want,( obviously not this exact bar pictured), they are all ready to go, until its done and then everyone disappears. If you guys want a triangulated front strut bar, I can make one but I would need money upfront.

Mark-OEM

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Friday, July 17, 2009 8:41 AM
OEM.
I personally thank you for building items for our cars and I hope you continue to do so. IMO at least we have options, which lately it is a rarity when it comes to this platform.
I think that your STB is beefy as hell, especially since it is a 1-piece design. With what it seems to be real nice manufacturing. And since you are in prototype stage, I would like to throw an idea out.
I see a small issue on the mounting points. It lays flat, with that being said, all the stress is being put on the studs. This is same theory as when you don't have a hub-centric wheel and all the weight is resting on the studs.
I would recommend if you can add a curvature on the inside mounting point, therefor when you turn and body twists, all of the stress weight will be on the strut tower (which is a stronger point) and not on the studs. And in return be more effective.
Remember that the nuts holding the brace are only are torqued to 18-20 ft-lbs per GM's data, so it is there to hold and not support.

This is what I'm talking about.
Best of luck and continue good work.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Friday, July 17, 2009 9:16 AM
^^^ Not a bad idea in theory, but probably harder to implement cost effectively than it's worth.

It might be better to use stronger studs and raise the torque spec on them, thereby making a stronger connection between the plates and the towers.

Friday, July 17, 2009 9:29 AM
If you notice, he already has longer and stronger studs cause he is using his solid front mounts
Friday, July 17, 2009 11:27 AM
Quote:

Mastin, you MUST have won the lottery,lol.

Yeah,
Its the left over crumbs from buying stuff for my expensive gf.

-M

Friday, July 17, 2009 1:50 PM
Hahha, well we are heading out to the road course tonight to test the fuel rail and the new godzilla bar. Our last time was 1.0012. Well see if I can beat that.

Mark

Saturday, July 18, 2009 9:43 PM
May look at getting one of these in the very near future. It wouldn't hurt to have some more of OEM's custom fabrication on my car.

FOR SALE
Sunday, July 19, 2009 7:33 AM
well we made out well on friday night. our last time was aeround 1 minute. we were able to pull off a 58.98 time. so yea the bar helped alot. more suspension parts will come but need to know where people stand at the moment. mark-oem

Sunday, July 19, 2009 8:35 AM
i'm in for a rear and front bar......whenever i can afford it

Sunday, July 19, 2009 9:38 AM
We want the Gojira (sp?) bar with the additional bracing for the front.

LMK,

-M

Sunday, July 19, 2009 2:58 PM
lol mark... i hate to say it but any number of things could have varied slightly to get that better time. the only true way to gauge if a part is successful in assistance is to do it same day and within mere hours of when the first run was ran.

PFFT secret cams?! pm me if you want a real upgrade.
Monday, July 20, 2009 6:44 AM
When I got the the track, I took it off, then tested it with it on. Yes a couple things could have varied, but not much as to a 1+ second drop in time.

Mark

Monday, July 20, 2009 3:16 PM
Do the curved points on teh gm bar even touch last i checked they didnt?
Monday, July 20, 2009 3:37 PM
I like send me a k style one with my tb

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Monday, July 20, 2009 6:43 PM

I've tried this setup before with the bars going from the strut towers to the radiator support. The problem I found is that there are too many things in the way along with the hoods on some of the aftermarket companies not working with those braces.
The bars just jut out too far and will never let the hood close.
I'm not sure if anyone has actually tried this with flatbar or not but I have and it just wont work, at least not for my application.

Also, OEM, for those people still wanting to keep their GM vert bar with the two firewall mounting holes, why not make a supplementary bar that would go across from one strut tower to the other.
This would be an example I'm talking about.

I'm no expert but have done some of my own fabricating with some success but don't always have the facilities to make them properly. But my ideas seem to have some merit.
This supplemental bar would give you the best of both worlds of having the GM bar with firewall for support while the supplemental bar would complete the strut tower bracing from tower to tower.
Just a thought to give you something to think about and see what you do think.

Also, when are you ever going to consider some fender braces.
Funny how no one ever listens to one of the most prominent bars that the major companies use for bracing the A pillar area to the front frame rail. This is one of the most critical areas of bracing that is often overlooked by most enthusiasts.
Like I've said before, if no one comes up with them, I'll wind up making my own.

Excuse me for butting in on the thread but maybe it may spark an idea or two and maybe some opinions too.
Good luck Mark on your strut bar. Looks good, solid, and quite capable to add on other bars for more support.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Monday, July 20, 2009 6:55 PM
Misn, I like the idea of an add-on bar for the gm vert bar. That'd be pretty cool and relatively inexpensive to make. I'd still rather have Mark's bar with some tie bars to the firewall, but for someone that doesn't want to spend a bunch of money, it'd be an excellent solution.

And these fender braces...please explain where exactly would they mount??
Tuesday, July 21, 2009 1:58 AM

If they make them for the Tercel, why not a J-body or Delta body?

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 8:13 AM
Oh, like that lol. Hmmm, those would be pretty cheap to make too.

Before we get mark started on anything else, I wanna see a triangulated bar, or at least the final product (hopefully with provisions for triangulated braces).
Tuesday, July 21, 2009 12:18 PM
Misnblu wrote:

If they make them for the Tercel, why not a J-body or Delta body?

Maybe I'm just stupid, but I really do not see how those would help on our cars.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:27 PM
Well, they're so important that they come factory stock on the Evo's and STi's as well as other performance oriented cars.
Pictures speak a thousand words and thanks to Ultraracing.com.my for the gifs.

Everybody should check out this page to have a better understanding of some of the bracing that can be done to ones car.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:30 PM
damn. loving those pics.

PFFT secret cams?! pm me if you want a real upgrade.
Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:34 PM
Yup, they can say more than I can type.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 4:54 PM
James stop finding more things for me to play with!!!

JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search