Anyone here actually interested in high end audio? - Page 5 - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Anyone here actually interested in high end audio?
Friday, March 11, 2011 4:50 AM
wheres the rulesbook, does it state anything saying you can't do it? if not id highlight that section. take it with you to comps and tell them to stick it up there butts. if its not illegal who cares how much someone bitches, its either legal or illegal, if its illegal there must be a rule written that says so. there is no diffrent then that and someone having a box that is a little bit bigger then yours because that takes up more space as well. if you compete on the national level there are rules. either its legal or its not simple as that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Friday, March 11, 2011 9:42 AM
All interior panels/carpet, including those in the trunk, hatch or cargo area must remain in place. Custom trim panels may be used provided they are covered or painted.

4-12 Custom interior panels are allowed. Structural OEM panel modifications are not permitted unless the modification to the panel is to accommodate accessories, sound or video system.

That's from your rule book. It's legal.

However...

if you're running the 8's plus your 12, that might open some discussion as to which class you'd participate in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, March 11, 2011 9:55 AM

Friday, March 11, 2011 12:59 PM
ok, now help me design the right kick pod then...

im a big guys so it cant be too big, as my legs like to lay in placed and could possibly get in the way.

this is driving me nuts, i wanna do what you guys are saying, but my mind is telling me why wont having lal int he door work? lol i trust you all for this, cause i know nothing... but why wont it work again?

click sig for my car audio videos
Friday, March 11, 2011 12:59 PM
oh and jl i need your paypal addy

Friday, March 11, 2011 1:07 PM
By cramming all three speakers in the door, one of which being an 8, something is going to be high in the door... Meaning closer to ur ear... Meaning very left side heavy. Time alignment can only do so much.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Saturday, March 12, 2011 10:13 AM
ok, so kick pods it is

now, how to properly design these, i will be making them myself, so i would like to know if pointing hte mids in a certain directoin or the tweetsd some where, where to put each thing on the kick pod, and the 8 in the door skin, can i port this?

Saturday, March 12, 2011 11:32 AM
You want the kicks in a general sense to point towards the center of the car. So the point at which the lines cross is something like a foot and a half or so above the armrest . But thats just a general reference. It takes a lot of playing around with positioning to get it right. If this focal point is off left or right youre going to have a bit of bias left or right with the sound.

As far as the 8s in the door, Ive been told/read that they can pretty much be pointed straight across the car since low frequencies tend to be less directional. You can port the door. I know the airspace of the door was mentioned in a thread. Its like 1.75 cu ft IIRC. Just gotts seal the hell out of the door and make your port accordingly.

Saturday, March 12, 2011 2:08 PM
plan is to build a box on the door skin, approx .7 cubes use a 2" aero port and tune to 45-50 hz some where in there...

Saturday, March 12, 2011 4:30 PM
Why are you doing all that for those? I mean... you are running subs in the trunk right? I think if you seal your doors well, and build things rigid enough to mount them solidly, you would be fine for simply dedicated midbass.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Saturday, March 12, 2011 7:15 PM
Mids and tweets should aim directly at your face, or as close as possible. Unless you want to build and 'all around' car so it sounds good for the driver and passenger (vs GREAT for just the driver). Then you would point it about head level above the center console.

Midbass is omnidirectional. Direction won't matter really. I like my midbass to run the 56-80Hz range and no lower (you start to get noisy that low, leave that to the subs).

Sunday, March 13, 2011 9:55 AM
where you aim the mids and tweets depends first on the style of speaker, wether they were designed to be played on axis- or off. before you know that you can't really know where to start out aiming them.

as for the midbass. if you build out a box that big will you be even able to close the door? our door panels hit the seats when the door is closed all ready. the window glass is only about 1-2" behind the metal. not to mention that metal holds the framework and mounting for the window roller mechanism so can't go cutting that out. best bet will just be to seal that door up. 3-4 layers of sound damping on the outter and inner door panel. maybe some modeling clay along the bottom to stiffen things up as well. a secure baffle and proper tuning. midbass is directional. but allot less directional then the mids or highs. those are the important ones to aim. 8's would just be to much trouble to try and aim properly for what its worth. get the mids and highs angled right and the midbass will be allot less noticable.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Sunday, March 13, 2011 12:39 PM
sndsgood wrote:where you aim the mids and tweets depends first on the style of speaker, wether they were designed to be played on axis- or off. before you know that you can't really know where to start out aiming them.

as for the midbass. if you build out a box that big will you be even able to close the door? our door panels hit the seats when the door is closed all ready. the window glass is only about 1-2" behind the metal. not to mention that metal holds the framework and mounting for the window roller mechanism so can't go cutting that out. best bet will just be to seal that door up. 3-4 layers of sound damping on the outter and inner door panel. maybe some modeling clay along the bottom to stiffen things up as well. a secure baffle and proper tuning. midbass is directional. but allot less directional then the mids or highs. those are the important ones to aim. 8's would just be to much trouble to try and aim properly for what its worth. get the mids and highs angled right and the midbass will be allot less noticable.

Almost all car audio speakers are derivative of home theatre speakers which are designed to be played as close to 0º as possible. Car speakers that have 'improved off-axis response' (IOR) are just designed to sound 'not as bad' when mounted off axis. You still end up losing audio information when mounting them off axis. Some would argue that mounting an IOR speaker on axis will make them bright, but then that's what an EQ is for.

Monday, March 14, 2011 8:09 AM
I vote horn array and get it over with.

Monday, March 14, 2011 8:19 AM
my mb quarts doesnt have as good a sound stage aimed in the traditional sence. most off axis speakers ive heard don't sound as good aimed directly up and back like you would aim a tradional on axis speakers. downside to this is you generally want to feed them more power. but still quite a bit diffrent mounting location to get the best sound. at least from what ive experienced.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search