Josh's Turbo header, Down pipe and Exhaust build - Page 2 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Josh's Turbo header, Down pipe and Exhaust build
Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:30 PM
Joshua Dearman wrote:^NO.

I payed him extra to make this a "one, and only one"-off....you sir are screwed.

Who said I wanted one? Like said, money talks......... batch

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:41 PM
I might be a batch.....but I'm a batch with a bada$$ mani yo!

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:44 AM
FYI, I'm very much kidding on the one off stuff. All I did was ask Atom to do a divided + dual gate and he had no problems doing it. I'm not sure his plans as far as continuing the design, that is up to him.

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:31 PM
OK so finally some more pics

I haven't got much done since I welded the mani all up. I did get a chance last night to mount it back on my car. So its all ready for the mach up of the down pipe and dumps. Im thinkin tuseday night ill get a chance to get at least the down pipe and a good start on the WG dumps. Thats all subject to change though since the shop has been a mad house lately. When we got the first few nice days everyone got spring fever i guess. To think 2 months ago we used to spend at least a hour a day playin bags in the shop Now its 14hr days just to keep up.

So im going to save the fully welded pictures till i can get some better shots of it mounted on the car with both wastegates positioned. Other than that im very pleased with the layout of everything. I was originally going to shoot for a top mount setup. It took about 5 minutes to realize that wasn't going to happen. Not with 2 wastgates, 2 dumps, a 3" DP, and the way the runners needed to crossover with the divided flange. I got to say this manifold gave me a bit of a challenge to layout and make work. After about 5 hours trying different layouts I found one i was happy with. Everything fits in there nice and compact but is very easy to get to. Turbo placement is great for running the DP and 4" intake. Everything should be nice and smooth from here out.... I hope

Laying the runners out. I was shooting for perfect equal length for all runners so that will explain any extra bends that you might not think need to be there. It was a PITA to get the runners equal as it sits now there all within 3/4 of an inch. But more importantly they all have damn close to the same number of elbows used per runner.

Runners are finished and tacked together.

Mounted for wastgate layout. About the only thing im not happy with is the install of the header. Its just big enough where it wont fit in the top without tipping the motor forward. It goes in through the bottom with the motor mounted but needs the axle removed to do so. Kinda the nature of the beast when doing a header like this. My header is the same way.

Hard to see in the pic but firewall clearance is about 1.5" at the flange and well over 2 from the compressor. Plenty of room left that GT35 upgrade josh!

Atomic Fabrications
Full race and street car fabrication shop.
www.AtomicFabrications.com

Thursday, April 16, 2009 11:47 PM
Bad mother@!#$ ass!!! That thing looks crazy!

Friday, April 17, 2009 12:42 AM
WOW....I can't wait to see it with both wastegates and all the other goodies yet to be shown!

Friday, April 17, 2009 12:45 AM
Holy hell, how long are those freaking runners?! That's awesome!

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Friday, April 17, 2009 1:32 AM
To me they look not much longer if any than a traditional ram-horn setup.....just with more curves along the length. The better question would be what is the corrected length with all those bends...but the bends all look about even at least in magnitude and total numbers so it should be great.

Friday, April 17, 2009 5:24 AM
very badass adam and josh, that number 2 runner should be fun to weld, do you double pass or do a single pass welding the joints?

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Friday, April 17, 2009 7:04 AM
i've always wondered this... how the hell do you guys finish the welds now???

87 Firebird
All stock...........lol.
Friday, April 17, 2009 7:32 AM
Once you mock you just mark up the pipes with a scribe, then break it all down and start welding from the flange back, bottom to top. That's how I do exhausts, I know this is a little different but it might work.

Friday, April 17, 2009 12:43 PM
Yeah all the runners have 3 uncut hard bends in them and 1 cut up bend with about 2-3" of straight pipe in each. I dont remember the runner length off hand but there a lot shorter than they look. With all them twisted up its hard to tell just by looking at it. I wanna say they measured out to about 21" from the head flange to turbo flange.

To weld it all up I break the tac welds to the flange and collector. Then weld each runner up fully then do my final welds to the collector and head flange. If you look at some of the pics you can see my X's on the connection i wanted to brake it at. This one was a real PITA though to make the final welds but they all came out great. Im very pleased with how everythings going so far. Thats saying a lot too since im insanely determined on getting everything just how i want it. It helps this project isn't a rush job. Josh is still getting everything squared away on his end so it gives me no pressure of a deadline.

Atomic Fabrications

Friday, April 17, 2009 5:03 PM
Wow thats a BadAzZ Turbo manifold..... Love it!!

Sunday, April 19, 2009 6:30 AM
Very sweet guys!!

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Monday, May 04, 2009 3:26 PM
got that sucker finished yet?

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Monday, May 04, 2009 8:37 PM
I'm drag'n my ass to get the 2nd wastegate.

Monday, May 04, 2009 9:40 PM
i love that header...

however, one thing i dont love is that one section with 4 separate pieces sectioned together to create one bend. now correct me if im wrong but arent welds for turbo manifolds at the absolute most risk for cracking because of the temperatures associated? i would think you would want the least amount of points possible to fail...

now i realize making a turbo header is something only the very skilled can do, hell its something i couldn't do i can assure you that. i just think that one section could have been done better.

I'm tired of wasting my time... now I'm breakin' free.
Monday, May 04, 2009 10:02 PM
Very nice job. I am very impressed.

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Sunday, May 10, 2009 8:38 AM
Adam is the man, he made my 2.3 equal length turbo header for my setup as well and I'm sure glad that there are J enthusist with skills who keep making products to help us improve our cars.
Sunday, May 10, 2009 4:43 PM
You have quite the ambition ! Very nice work !

Hell, I would have made a log manifold for 40$ and 2 hours of time and used that.

11.92 @ 122.69 MPH Rotrex Blower / Intercooled / Water-Meth / 100% Daily Driver / 381 WHP

Sunday, May 10, 2009 7:26 PM
^Doing it because that wont get me where I'm going to go with this motor. Otherwise I would have done just that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, May 10, 2009 7:27 PM

Thursday, May 14, 2009 7:40 AM
I dont understand why people think welds are the week point of an object. If done right the weld is the strongest point of the piece when its done. Ive welded probably between 10-12 sch10 runner manifolds and log manifolds now without one crack. So im confident in my welding skill to cut and weld tubing as many times as needed to get the runner to do what i want it to do. That is the most important aspect of a manifold anyway is the runner layout. Just so happens that one needed to go like that.

Like josh said were waiting on the second wastegate before i go any further. Theres really not that much to do till i get that so were just waiting at the moment.

Atomic Fabrications

Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:41 AM
Atomic wrote:Like josh said were waiting on the second wastegate before i go any further. Theres really not that much to do till i get that so were just waiting at the moment.

I fail. Next week is very likely tho.....but I still fail.

Thursday, May 14, 2009 12:54 PM
I love the narley ball of runners. Totally hot.

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Friday, May 29, 2009 10:23 AM
2nd gate is in route.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search