HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics) - Page 7 - Interior Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics)
Tuesday, May 29, 2007 10:42 AM
the pictures dont work in the post


"Sunfire got stolen, all i have is the J to remember it by"

Re: HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics)
Friday, July 13, 2007 1:02 AM
So i have a 2005 sunfire, i read that you have to fiberglass the dash in order to paint it, is it true? Do i HAVE To fiberglass my dash?




My CarDomain!!! --- http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543660
Re: HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics)
Saturday, August 04, 2007 9:31 PM
Ty W wrote:

Right now started work on the inner part of the side mirrors. Went over everything once with 60 grit and can kinda still see the design underneath, will this go away as I go over it with the other different grits or should it be gone over again with the 60?


I know it's silly question but if I want sanding pieces why do we use different gtit of sanding? cant we just use 60 grit only? because kinda confuse. also after painting and has dust or etc then we send it right? isn't paint peel off too?

Just trying to do something in my life...
Re: HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics)
Sunday, August 05, 2007 3:19 AM
Tony Kim wrote:

Ty W wrote:

Right now started work on the inner part of the side mirrors. Went over everything once with 60 grit and can kinda still see the design underneath, will this go away as I go over it with the other different grits or should it be gone over again with the 60?


I know it's silly question but if I want sanding pieces why do we use different gtit of sanding? cant we just use 60 grit only? because kinda confuse. also after painting and has dust or etc then we send it right? isn't paint peel off too?


Ty W: You need to remove all of the texture with the lowest grit you use (if your case - 60). Higher grits will only remove the scatches from the 60 grit, not the design underneath. So make sure everything is out before you move on.

Halscyon FTO: The lower the grit, the deeper the scratches and the more texture that is removed. Once you are done sanding with say, 60 grit, you want to move up to a higher grit like 100 to remove the deep scratches from 60 grit and put in finer scatches from 100 grit. You continue this process, and the scratches get finer and finer, making the object smooth.


Wide Body Progress


Re: HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics)
Sunday, August 05, 2007 8:39 PM
SliMMaTiC (Tom Sylvester) wrote:

Tony Kim wrote:

Ty W wrote:

Right now started work on the inner part of the side mirrors. Went over everything once with 60 grit and can kinda still see the design underneath, will this go away as I go over it with the other different grits or should it be gone over again with the 60?


I know it's silly question but if I want sanding pieces why do we use different gtit of sanding? cant we just use 60 grit only? because kinda confuse. also after painting and has dust or etc then we send it right? isn't paint peel off too?


Ty W: You need to remove all of the texture with the lowest grit you use (if your case - 60). Higher grits will only remove the scatches from the 60 grit, not the design underneath. So make sure everything is out before you move on.

Halscyon FTO: The lower the grit, the deeper the scratches and the more texture that is removed. Once you are done sanding with say, 60 grit, you want to move up to a higher grit like 100 to remove the deep scratches from 60 grit and put in finer scatches from 100 grit. You continue this process, and the scratches get finer and finer, making the object smooth.


HI there, Thanks for reply and I found out my dashboard and interior are not a solid plastic, it's kinda leather feel or rubber feel, i don't know what kinda material but still need to sending ha?
Also I went to shop and asked guy there and he said there is special paint without sanding for my interior as I explained above, is that true?

what kinda situration do we need to sanding it?


Just trying to do something in my life...
Re: HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics)
Sunday, August 05, 2007 8:39 PM
SliMMaTiC (Tom Sylvester) wrote:

Tony Kim wrote:

Ty W wrote:

Right now started work on the inner part of the side mirrors. Went over everything once with 60 grit and can kinda still see the design underneath, will this go away as I go over it with the other different grits or should it be gone over again with the 60?


I know it's silly question but if I want sanding pieces why do we use different gtit of sanding? cant we just use 60 grit only? because kinda confuse. also after painting and has dust or etc then we send it right? isn't paint peel off too?


Ty W: You need to remove all of the texture with the lowest grit you use (if your case - 60). Higher grits will only remove the scatches from the 60 grit, not the design underneath. So make sure everything is out before you move on.

Halscyon FTO: The lower the grit, the deeper the scratches and the more texture that is removed. Once you are done sanding with say, 60 grit, you want to move up to a higher grit like 100 to remove the deep scratches from 60 grit and put in finer scatches from 100 grit. You continue this process, and the scratches get finer and finer, making the object smooth.


HI there, Thanks for reply and I found out my dashboard and interior are not a solid plastic, it's kinda leather feel or rubber feel, i don't know what kinda material but still need to sending ha?
Also I went to shop and asked guy there and he said there is special paint without sanding for my interior as I explained above, is that true?

what kinda situration do we need to sanding it?


Just trying to do something in my life...
Re: HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics)
Sunday, August 12, 2007 1:21 PM
For my dash, im going to sand it with 100 lightly and see if i can get the texture out, if not, then i willuse 60 and sand with hand, then im going to prime and sand and prime and sand as many times as it takes to make the dash look smooth like fiberglassed... then i will spray paint and then clear coat...




My CarDomain!!! --- http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543660
Re: HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics)
Thursday, August 16, 2007 10:05 PM
Hi, Thanks for your answer and help it was so great! but i'm facing problem at the moment, after I paint on the plastic surface(after premer), i can notice there are many little hole, look like pimple.... any idea to avoid this or fix them?


Just trying to do something in my life...
Re: HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics)
Friday, August 17, 2007 5:55 PM
hi again, I did sanding and repaint again but still can ignore little holes(it's not bubble...). anybody know how? is it because that product sucks? oh by the way product name is duplicolor.


Just trying to do something in my life...
Re: HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics)
Sunday, August 26, 2007 6:47 PM
Can you take a picture of these little holes? What grit are you using to sand? You should be able to sand out any of these problems.


Wide Body Progress


Re: HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics)
Friday, August 31, 2007 1:32 PM
slimm i got my door done today. i didn't use the wax stripper and i couldn't find rubbing alcohol anywhere but i used some other alcohol in a can that you mix with 2/3 water. pics coming tonight! THANK YOU FOR THE WRITE UP!

PS: ever though of making a BOOK/MANUAL for all kinds of projects??




Re: HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics)
Saturday, September 01, 2007 4:48 PM
Spalattero wrote:

slimm i got my door done today. i didn't use the wax stripper and i couldn't find rubbing alcohol anywhere but i used some other alcohol in a can that you mix with 2/3 water. pics coming tonight! THANK YOU FOR THE WRITE UP!

PS: ever though of making a BOOK/MANUAL for all kinds of projects??


You can find rubbing alcohol in the health/medicine section of any store. It is like .70 cents a bottle.

I've thought about making a book/manual. Maybe once I get done with everything I will throw something together. I guess there would need to be enough interest from people for me to do it.


Wide Body Progress


Re: HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics)
Tuesday, October 28, 2008 9:30 PM
im interested
Re: HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics)
Sunday, November 30, 2008 6:26 PM
werd!



SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics)
Sunday, February 22, 2009 7:53 PM
Decided to try my hand at this:


Re: HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics)
Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:06 AM
So I had my dash all apart to install some LEDs in the cluster but realized I need to take everything completely apart in order to paint the dash! not the vinyl part, Ill deal with that later, Im talking about the long plastic peice by the wienshield that always cracks is attachted to that one big peice. Do I have to remove my airbag, radio, HVAC controls, air tubes, and everything attached to that thing in order to get it painted? or is there another way? because thats crazy amount of work to get that one peice out for paint
Re: HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics)
Thursday, July 16, 2009 11:33 PM
Great write up definatly gonna use this, but right now for the top part of the dash, I pulled of the vinyl, but I'm have alot of problem pulling the stickys off of it, any suggestion?

Oh, and I heard that after a while the paint will begin to chip, because of the direct sunlight, is this true? and if it is, how can I help prevent it?


I'm not going anywhere just yet

R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan '81-'09
Re: HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics)
Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:12 PM
nvm, I did it, looks hot. Thanks for the tips, I followed your instructions, it's hot hot hot!!!!

thanks!!


I'm not going anywhere just yet

R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan '81-'09
Re: HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics)
Monday, August 24, 2009 1:52 AM
NICE WRFITE UP STICKY .....AWESUME IF YOU FOLLOW HIS INSTRUCTIONS AS WROTE YOU WONT HAVE NO PROBLEMS BUT CLEANING IT ...


Z



Re: HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics)
Sunday, August 30, 2009 9:21 AM
I also found it handy to use glide coat, just to be 100% sure everything is sanded level, ect. Nice write up! Ive actually started doing dash peices for people and making a little extra money at it!

"Hondas are like tampons, every pussy has one!!!"
Re: HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics)
Friday, September 11, 2009 4:12 AM
Well this is really a great post.I always wanted to repaint my car's interior.My car is in a bad condition and now I will follow dese steps to renovate my car..

Acai Berry
Colon Cleanse

Re: HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics)
Friday, January 21, 2011 8:08 AM
i am thinking of repainting my tan interior. it is horrible and have only had the car for a few months and cant stand it any longer. i was thinking of prepping some to all of the panels durring the rest of the winter and then when the snow melts(danm u canada) i would repaint. was thinking of going black/charcoal. any other suggestions from u j-body guys. the car is a 97 sunfire gt
Re: HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics)
Sunday, March 17, 2013 5:27 AM
Awsome write up. Sticky for sure. Im in the process of doing this. i like the results so far. Ill post pics of the final producr when im done.

Thanks again
Re: HOW TO - Repaint Your Interior (Lot's of pics)
Saturday, January 17, 2015 9:40 PM
the rev died in 2008 fyi
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

 

Start New Topic Advanced Search