So I never really got a chance to figure out exactly what my ignition or w/e issue it was. Now its that time to start working on it again (did I ever stop?).
Anyway, gonna clean up some really basic things that have either bothered me or are just done sketchy (like injectors pointing at the walls of the runners etc).
New intake manifold - most lilely with a dual plenum design
Manual brakes (to make room for the new mani)
New clutch pedal / master to match the aftermarket slave previously installed
Removing the GM Factory DIS unit and going to a 36-1 trigger wheel and 4 coils
Finish up the interior
Continue weight redux
Not much has happened yet. A bit of planning.
The Wilwood brake and clutch assemblies are on the way. I pulled the brake booster and pedals out. The booster alone was 10lbs.
After - Obviously the new masters will stick out some, but Im clearing up ALOT of room. It will also allow me to remove the hydraulic bias assy and a few connections. Also I will be able to take 90 deg out of the charge piping (possibly more) and shorten it by about a foot.
Havent had a chance to touch this much lately. However, I have collected some parts and started on the new intake manifold. So far I just have the basic flange shape cut out, and today I machined the holes in it for the injector bungs. They now match the factory angles, so Im not just spraying fuel on the walls of the runners in the head. Basically I wanted to fix all the things that sucked about the first intake I made 6 years ago. It was pretty much one of hte first things I ever fab'd, so it wasnt that great.
Tomorrow I plan to get the holes machined in the new -8 fuel rail. Up next I need to get the old intake off the car and trace out the ports and mounting holes to transfer to the new flange.
stock mani with the runners cut down. YOu can see the stock injector angle here.
Luckily the mill had enough rotation in the head to bore the holes.
Here is the result. Fuel rail and fittings in the background...
To be able to fit this new intake I needed to adjust the brakes a llittle. I dont have it all worked out yet, as I need at least the fuel rail done first, but here is what I have so far. Mini brake booster, H body master cylinder (has ports on the drivers side vs. pass) and a old vw remote reservoir.
I also got these guys in today
Thats it so far.
Manual brake swap underway...
Adaptor plate is pretty much done. Just need to clean up the edges etc. Turns out that the two middle holes for the booster bracket line right up with the master cylinder at pretty much the perfect height for the new 6.5:1 pedal ratio (Im guessing this isnt by accident). I still need to cut out the firewall a bit too. Probably borrow a greenlee punch from work tomorrow and knock that out quick tomorrow nite.
Anyway, that is pretty much all figured out. I just need to come up with a way to ensure the pushrod doesnt fall out of hte back of the master cylinder. I may just buy a Wilwood unit, or come up with some sort of positvie locking device. I found a rubber one, but Id prefer to have something metal holding the rod in.
Also pulled the blower motor plenum and motor off the firewall. Im going to build something super small inside just for defrost. That really creates alot more room.
Coil driver box is almost done. Just need to mount the devices and bolt down the D connector.
A lot more progress on the manual brakes tonight. I got the new actuator rod mounted to the pedal (for increased ratio). Mounted the master to the firewall, which will need to come off to clean up the mounting plate and get matching bolts. I wanted to redo some of the hardlines and move the bias adjuster, but it just didnt seem worth the extra effort. Luckily I had a shorter premade braided line "in stock" so I put that on for the rear line. Basically I am ready to bleed this now and get everything final mounted. Oh, I also need to make a new simple bracket to help support the bias knob. Ill knock that out at lunch tomorrow.
I also have the heater box out in these pics. It may or may not stay out. I pulled it out thinking I would need the room for the intake mani, but I dont think its necessary now.
Finally a couple pics of the fuel rail Im making and the approx position of it after its all together. The injectors are angled to match the factory injector angle.
YEP, my 60' times suck
247HP/267ftlbs at 13psi with built motor
Project updates and stuff: www.clubhousecustoms.com