Vette Wheels - Page 35 - Photos & Media Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Vette Wheels
Friday, January 25, 2013 10:51 PM
likewise

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Sunday, January 27, 2013 4:50 PM
I bought stuff today.
Sunday, January 27, 2013 6:47 PM
Awesome! What you buy?

Monday, January 28, 2013 3:18 AM
AdamNismoSR wrote:Awesome! What you buy?

I'm not gonna say what it is. But it cost him about $100 an hour.

Monday, January 28, 2013 6:39 AM
Jeff, I need to work more overtime so we can have more lovely late night facebook bromance sessions.

I feel so left out of the loop

Judging how the first hour of today has been going, might catch ya online later in the week.

Monday, January 28, 2013 8:21 AM
I can't wait for middle hand drive.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Monday, January 28, 2013 6:15 PM
WELL.

Update time.

Getting @!#$ around with the RHD clip, I also had a bunch of RHD stuff lined up that I was going to buy for spare parts, dash pieces a spare rack, etc. Well, I went and picked that all up yesterday and will be swapping my car to RHD without the use of the proper firewall.

Initially, I was horrified of this idea, but after fitting the dash to the car tonight and taking a few quick eye-ball measurements, I think this will actually turn out better than having swapped firewalls, for a few simple reasons:

Being as I'm shaving the bay, I will now be fully capable of hiding the brake booster and clutch master under the dash, as the firewall kicks out huge where the pedals are now (soon to be) located.

I started with the car looking like this tonight, noting the factory LHD steering column bracket is in the way of the dash framing and dash itself.

I started by center-punching all the spot-welds and removing both pieces, seen here, completely unscathed. These will be installed on the right side now, in a semi-factory form.

Removed:

Framing temporarily in:

Dash installed:

Here's the bad news, you can see there are quite a few little pieces missing, and the upper dash pad has been stripped of it's vinyl wrapping. All is not lost, though. I've contacted a few different places and some people in search of said parts.

I managed to stumble upon an entire list of "Toyota Cavalier" part numbers today, and ordered a mirror switch, which is, unfortunately, the only piece still available new from GM. Regardless, it's one more piece to the puzzle.

I have a plan already in place for the dash pad, radio bezel and dash that will fix all the previous damages to everything and change the factory interior a lot, while still maintaining the factory look.

Currently our shop is absolutely jam-packed with @!#$. We take ownership of another shop strictly for storage come the first of the month. I honestly get anxiety being out there now, it is so depressing.

Hopefully, by the move this weekend I will have the car steering from the right side, but that may be pushing it.
Monday, January 28, 2013 6:20 PM
I had a feeling...

This is the smarter way to do it if you have the skill to do it in the first place, IMO

** FOR SALE** http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=24&i=110879&t=110879
Monday, January 28, 2013 7:43 PM
Looking good buddy. I will head out soon and check it out, might even give you a hand. lol

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:58 AM
looking forward to more updates

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:45 AM
hmmm as far as the damaged pieces go if you cant find them just re-do them. most do gauges in the bezel so thats not a problem if you want to...

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:33 AM
Wow this is so amazing!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:50 PM
Thanks, guys. I couldn't be happier with how it is turning out.

-Z Yaaaa- wrote:hmmm as far as the damaged pieces go if you cant find them just re-do them. most do gauges in the bezel so thats not a problem if you want to...

That is pretty much the plan, I even wrote it in my initial post, hahaha.

Anyways, went out to the shop tonight, for once I am actually excited to work on the car. I set out to get the subframe and steering rack switched around, including switching my N-body control arms into the RHD subframe.

LHD out back, RHD up front.

Switcheroo all finished:

I then installed it in the car and decided that working on the car for an hour tops was not near enough for tonight. So, I turned my attention to the inside again.

With machine like precision, and four zip-ties, I temporarily hung that bracket I removed last night and bolted in a steering column. From there I eye-balled it up and tightened everything down, and installed more dash parts to make this more a reality for myself.

After the blood left my penis and returned to my head, I crawled under the dash and measured up some brackets to attach that column bracket back to the firewall. I should've definitely done that while the dash was out.

Tomorrow's goal is to get the column mounted square, solidly, and have the bracketry welded in for good.

Thursday I plan to have the hole cut in the firewall, which, at this point I feel will need no major modification to do. Quite excited.

Definitely on track to have this thing steering itself by the weekend.
Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:20 PM
Doing mad work!

<3.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:29 PM
lol what happens if you go through all this work and you end up hating shifting with ur left hand and its too just odd to drive?

It's nice to be injected but I love being blown.
Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:32 PM
He's just going to clutch and shout gear commands to me, for his ease, and my enjoyment from the passenger's driver seat.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:34 PM
Lol. The weirdest part is being in the left hand side and not doing anything. Feels like you should be in control but you're not.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:54 PM
that removable core support is a nice idea, i always liked that design on chryslers.
Tuesday, January 29, 2013 11:13 PM
It only takes a little bit to get used to RHD. It is fun hanging out the right side window waving at people on the highway waiting for them to notice the steering wheel

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:22 AM
DJ Jazzy Jeff does it again.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:58 AM
Awesome innovation! But where the hell does one locate an available RHD clip? Lucky bastard!

GMR has got nothing on this

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:35 PM
id like to see someone take the RHD dash and combine it with the LHD and make a double hump symetrical dash. But i suppose soone can justify doing that to hard to find parts.
Thursday, January 31, 2013 5:50 AM
i like the updates

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Thursday, January 31, 2013 8:37 AM
looks awesome, couple questions

what are your plans on a/c just a custom setup? cause the rack will be going threw where the a/c box is, and without the firewall you cant put it on left side?

just curious, looks good man, very good
Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:40 AM
No JDM steering column stocks?

Your not JDM'ing hard enough, bro.

Seriously tho, that's the worst part of driving a RHD car...so maybe its better this way.

Every time I drive one and I try and signal....wipers....every @!#$ time.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search