My new talon - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
My new talon
Friday, September 19, 2008 11:04 PM
So picked up and 1996 Eagle Talon ESi 5 spd. for $900 and it only has 77k on it. Not a bad car and its got the 2.0 DOHC so NO CRANKWALK. Car came with a full exhaust ( Ebay header, high flow cat, and 2.5 exhaust), Short shifter, front and rear strut bars, a set of ebay coilovers (YAY!) and a Turbo pro wiring in lol and a set of black projector headlights. I hate 16 year old kids and ebay. On to Pics!
Day i bought it home:

I do have a front bumper but i had to remove it to get it on the trailer.
This is how the suspention was in the rear. the top of the strut was stickin out 3" so the car was only riding on springs in the rear. HOW SAFE IS THAT!!!

After some work:

How would anything think riding on these was safe??!!!!
Im putting the stock suspention back on for winter and then after winter im gonna lower it with rims

Removed all the "Streetglow" stickers, removed the awsomely bad tach, and all the "system wiring". while i was diggin around in the car i found a old old old viper alarm system installed that didn't work so all that got ripping out.
Heres a pic of all the wiring i removed from the car:

Forture plans for the car are. 97 bumper swap, flat black the entire car, real CAI, new header, pulleys and cams and the 60K maintance After winter its getting lowered with rims

Re: My new talon
Friday, September 19, 2008 11:35 PM
very nice. although 1st gen > 2nd gen. still, methinks me likes it

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike wrote:The auto to manual swap is not as involved as you would think.
Get all the parts you need in a pile, and drive the car into it.
They will find their way into the correct places.

Saturday, September 20, 2008 1:13 AM
is that a rat in 2nd last pic ?

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Saturday, September 20, 2008 1:17 AM
bahaha no thats my Mangkoon sp? cat, basicly a really long haired cat, her names Molly.
Saturday, September 20, 2008 2:27 PM
Nice pick-up. Looks like your going to take care of all the rice crap. Does it have the rare mocha interior? Looks like it.

1997 Misubishi Eclipse GST
1994 Buick Skylark(winter beater)
Saturday, September 20, 2008 2:51 PM
mocha? i thought it was more of a tan? I dunno maybe lol
Saturday, September 20, 2008 4:17 PM
they never made tan dashes. they had black dash with everything else tan, all gray interior, black dash with everything else gray, and the mocha interior. So looks like you have the mocha interior.

1997 Misubishi Eclipse GST
1994 Buick Skylark(winter beater)
Saturday, September 20, 2008 4:48 PM
bah, with that suspension im sure there is a lot of @!#$ that needs replacing, hopefully not too much though

id be very thorough with checking everything just to be safe

Saturday, September 20, 2008 5:25 PM
you removed the tach!?! oh noes!!! you just lost at least 15HP!!!!!
and i wont even start with removing the streetglow stickers!
lol

so far, so good

Saturday, September 20, 2008 6:17 PM
That thing's got Ebay written all over it!
Don't expect a lot out of that 2.0L without boost. BTW - I thought the 4G63 was the one with the crank walk, turbo or not.

Saturday, September 20, 2008 9:17 PM
There's only one good car in this picture... and it ain't the talon lol

[ o ][][][][][][][][ o ] coach built xj  ( o   \[][][][][][][]/  o ) hid wj

Saturday, September 20, 2008 9:26 PM
yea i know i like that bush back there too.
Saturday, September 20, 2008 9:49 PM
Is it your XJ? I like the color.

[ o ][][][][][][][][ o ] coach built xj  ( o   \[][][][][][][]/  o ) hid wj
Saturday, September 20, 2008 11:15 PM
xj? its a 2000 Charakee. Its my girls
Sunday, September 21, 2008 2:19 PM
well good buddy, looks like you've got a hell of a project on your hands. let's see what you can do with her.

good luck!

Sunday, September 21, 2008 3:24 PM
never understood the point of a 15 inch tach on a car that has a tach from the factory. have fun and thanks for de-ebaying it before putting it back on the road.

GO PATS!!!
Sunday, September 21, 2008 4:13 PM
The Redneck wrote:never understood the point of a 15 inch tach on a car that has a tach from the factory. have fun and thanks for de-ebaying it before putting it back on the road.

Most factory tachs are calibrated to be "smooth" moving not accurate. They didn't expect you to be racing it.

Sunday, September 21, 2008 4:23 PM
learn something new every day

GO PATS!!!
Sunday, September 21, 2008 7:39 PM
Vitamin E (AKA Eddie) wrote:
The Redneck wrote:never understood the point of a 15 inch tach on a car that has a tach from the factory. have fun and thanks for de-ebaying it before putting it back on the road.

Most factory tachs are calibrated to be "smooth" moving not accurate. They didn't expect you to be racing it.

I'd rather have a slow tach then a massive blockage in my view of the road and other ppl.
Sunday, September 21, 2008 7:47 PM
Nice car Id try to sell ya a catback exhaust but ya already got one. yea im pretty positive its just the 4G63 that has crankwalk and not yours as you have the 420a. Just so ya know replace the timing belt and water pump before it hits 100,000 miles. My ex-gf had her water pump seize and bend 4 valves and snap the belt of course. $400 dollars later I had it back on the road.
Sunday, September 21, 2008 8:08 PM
Vitamin E (AKA Eddie) wrote:

Still, only worth it on cars that require it . not a 2.0 Talon.

AND Most of the 2nd gens still on the road with a 4g63 are all patched up and fixed, While the 2.0's still suffer from the megacraptastic head gasket failures.

STILL for the price, fantastic pickup, and please fix her up !

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"

Sunday, September 21, 2008 10:17 PM
yea i just bought a headgasket kit, head bolts, and a OEM timing kit for it. I know that this engine doesn't have crankwalk thats why i said "and its got the 2.0 DOHC so NO CRANKWALK".
Tuesday, September 23, 2008 10:13 PM
They are both 2.0 DOHC dude. 4g63 and 420a are the engines. And convertibles came with a 2.4 sohc... You have the 420a. Same engine as a dodge neon. I sold mine, not enough power, but it handled nice and the interior was cool looking lol.

wysiwyg wrote:i would say they bang, they don't really pound so much. but if
you want to bump, then they will bump and hit real hard and a lot good.

LOL
Tuesday, September 23, 2008 10:57 PM
first of my parts started to come in today. full motor mount set

Thursday, September 25, 2008 4:03 AM
I thought that was my old talon for a sec. Good luck

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search