help me pick an suv... - Other Cars Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
help me pick an suv...
Monday, January 11, 2010 11:11 PM
Well, the time has come to get rid of the Z in favor of something more powerful, gas-guzzling, and more importantly 4x4. The CJ won't be finished in time to get me through this winter, and probably wouldn't be the best daily driver.

So, I come to the .org to help make my decision. Basically i'm looking for a reliable 4wd suv for under $5,000. Probably looking at mid to late 90's models. I need something to drive to and from college, capable of going off-road with ease because hunting is my life. Also would like it to have a decent aftermarket, including lifts, push bumpers, etc.

So far i'm considering:
Wrangler
Tahoe
Blazer
Montero
4Runner
and possibly Tracker/Sidekick

Let me know your input/opinion so i can make the best decision possible.

Check out my build thread!

Re: help me pick an suv...
Monday, January 11, 2010 11:30 PM
try and find a 2 door tahoe! those are sweet! 350 is good for that gas guzzling factor your looking for to!

WiGM-Tuners member.
Monday, January 11, 2010 11:33 PM
The Tahoe would be my pick off that list.

"Project 69'"
1969 Chevrolet C/10, 1/2 ton, 2wd
-Boosted LS1?
-Richmond ROD 6-speed(will get sometime)
-Posi 12-bolt(built w/eaton posi unit and richmond 3.73 gears)
-Disc brake and 5 lug swap
+little extras
Tuesday, January 12, 2010 7:14 AM
i would love to find a 2 door tahoe, but it seems like everyone thinks they're one of the rarest cars out there. i found a 95 the other day, average condition, and the owner wanted 15 grand for it. ridiculous.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:28 AM
84-89 4 runners are great wheeling machines, but down on power if that's what you are looking for. The later models with the 3.0 v6 are junk.

Newer Cherokee's would also make a good DD. A 2 dr tahoe/blazer or even a zr2 s10 blazer would be ideal. Finding a nice 89-91 K5 would make a nice driver as well and lifts and parts are dirt cheap for those.

Wrangler wouldn't make much sense since you already have a cj...
Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:47 AM
Tahoe if you want some large and comfy that can still handle a bit of light wheeling.

Tracker/Sidekick if you don't mind something small and not so comfy. They are great on gas and will litterally go anywhere. My buddy has a Sidekick lifted on 33' Super Swappers and it is almost unstoppable off-road.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:15 AM
Buy my Cherokee!!! 96 2 door. There is massive aftermarket support and it;s fun as hell to drive.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:26 AM
Screw all of them. Best SUV ever made

GMC Typhoon period.

Awsome truck just expensive.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:51 AM
If you found a YJ wrangler, I'll let that slide. I'll punch both of your kidneys out through your nose if you think about getting a TJ. Now what you really need is a 73-79 Blazer. Tons of aftermarket, parts are really easy to get and cheap, top comes off of it too, and it's a full-size SUV.

Your car may do 13 sec @ 103 mph, but my car does 146db @ 35 hz.
Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:21 AM
Tahoe

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:42 PM
First off, i'm not too concerned with power. I don't do any real towing ever, so smaller engines are fine. Not real big into go-fast anymore either. I'm just looking for a reliable dd that i can have some fun with on the side. It would see very light wheeling, mostly driving through mud and cornfields in Iowa and South Dakota.

I completely forgot to put cherokee and grand cherokee on my list. I'm considering those as well.

And no, not thinking about a TJ. It would definitely be a yj and would get a cj grill conversion done. And while i would love a k5, i don't really have enough knowledge with carbs for one to be a good dd for me.

A Tracker would be a great option on paper, but i've never heard how reliable they are. I can't imagine parts would be expensive at all if something broke.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 1:34 PM
RuggedZ wrote:
And no, not thinking about a TJ. It would definitely be a yj and would get a cj grill conversion done. And while i would love a k5, i don't really have enough knowledge with carbs for one to be a good dd for me.

That's where I come in. Ask and yee shall receive.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 3:35 PM
we have a 02 4runner 3.4 slow and junk. i had a 00 blazer tranny blew at 114k. out of that list the tahoe or a jeep.
Tuesday, January 12, 2010 3:49 PM
I want/will one day own one of these:

CUCV Blazer

6.2 liter detroit diesel, 24 volt electrical system, dual 100 amp alternators. The blazers come with front and rear 10 bolt axles with an eaton locker in the rear. But you can always swap in the axles from the M1008 pickup. (Dana 60 front, 14 bolt rear. 4.56 and detroit lockers).

Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:33 PM
i'd go with a 4.0L jeep cherokee if it was me. they can be had pretty cheap and run forever.

87 Firebird
All stock...........lol.
Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:51 PM
I'd say the cherokee. However, a lot of the older suv's went bye bye in the cash for clunkers fiasco.

I've also found that the trackers/sidekicks seem to be kinda overpriced....even with high mileage. You might be able to find a Hyundai Sante Fe near that price though.

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart
Wednesday, January 13, 2010 7:04 AM
RuggedZ wrote:First off, i'm not too concerned with power. I don't do any real towing ever, so smaller engines are fine. Not real big into go-fast anymore either. I'm just looking for a reliable dd that i can have some fun with on the side. It would see very light wheeling, mostly driving through mud and cornfields in Iowa and South Dakota.

I completely forgot to put cherokee and grand cherokee on my list. I'm considering those as well.

A Tracker would be a great option on paper, but i've never heard how reliable they are. I can't imagine parts would be expensive at all if something broke.

All 89-91 k5 blazers are fuel injected and still the old body style. Some of the older ones are too

I'd love to have a 69-72 or 73-75 with the full removable top one day.
Wednesday, January 13, 2010 8:42 AM
Got my mom an '02 Cherokee Sport for X-mas. Previously a Forest Service vehicle. Definitely a good daily if you don't mind the poor mpg.

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Wednesday, January 13, 2010 1:15 PM
i'd also consider a bronco

Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:53 AM
4Runner.....Pre 2004's are indestructable from what most of my cutomers told me...and if you can find a manual one even sweeter!!!

Not unintentionally accelerating since 2009!!!!

Thursday, January 14, 2010 9:13 AM
You want the K5 Blazer!!!! I'm telling you dude, they are so much fun, it's a shorter version of a Chevy Pickup of that era (body parts/interior is identical) and motor swaps galore!

Thursday, January 14, 2010 9:22 AM
randizzle wrote:i'd go with a 4.0L jeep cherokee if it was me. they can be had pretty cheap and run forever.

Truth!! So buy my Cherokee

Thursday, January 14, 2010 10:20 AM
^ lol. where are you located?

Lanman, a decent k5 is hard as @!#$ to find around here. most of them are rotted to @!#$, and if they're not the seller charges out the ass for them. i do love them, but i already have one project and i'm not so sure a k5 would make the most sense for me.

Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:02 AM
KG wrote:I want/will one day own one of these:

CUCV Blazer

6.2 liter detroit diesel, 24 volt electrical system, dual 100 amp alternators. The blazers come with front and rear 10 bolt axles with an eaton locker in the rear. But you can always swap in the axles from the M1008 pickup. (Dana 60 front, 14 bolt rear. 4.56 and detroit lockers).

that thing is made of bad ass.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:28 AM
RuggedZ wrote:^ lol. where are you located?

Lanman, a decent k5 is hard as @!#$ to find around here. most of them are rotted to @!#$, and if they're not the seller charges out the ass for them. i do love them, but i already have one project and i'm not so sure a k5 would make the most sense for me.

Collegeville PA, about 45 mins west of philadelphia

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search