V8 vs. 4 banger... READY........ FIGHT!! - Page 2 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: V8 vs. 4 banger... READY........ FIGHT!!
Monday, May 08, 2006 5:46 AM on j-body.org
Hmm... I can't find anything to back up my Quad8 claim... I had origionally read that the named was changed to Northstar to distance it from the Quad's reliability issues(whether actual or preceived). After reading a little more, it seems it was a precurser, not the northstar its self.

Quad8 pic

"i promise we won't get drunk, and go out in boat in the dark, stand up in the boat and fire the gun into the air unless we have life jackets on."

Monday, May 08, 2006 7:52 AM on j-body.org
okay, to elaborate:

Assume we have, for all intents and purposes, a 3.0l I-4 and V-8, both DOHC, both same compression ratio, and both same basic design when it comes to materials and everything (as close as you can come given the configurations).

Likely, the i-4 will weigh a less, even if you stuff balance shafts into it (the V-8 shouldn't need them), the I-4 will possibly be able to rev higher due to less moving parts, however, the v-8 would runna hell of a lot smoother, and because of that, be less likely to break down.

So it's really just choose your poison.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, May 08, 2006 8:59 AM on j-body.org
Hahahaha wrote:

The coolest engine out there right now in my books is Honda's RCV (MotoGP engine), 990cc, V5, makes around 250HP and can push there bike to over 320km/h.

PAX

we dynoed colin edwards' number 1 plated rc211v a few years ago and although i cant remember the actual number off hand, it was either 237 or 247 hp at the rear wheel. understandably we were very impressed!
Monday, May 08, 2006 9:45 AM on j-body.org
I dunno, I'm ambidexterous and dyslexic. (just for the record, "ambidexterous" is latin for "able to masturbate with either hand")

Turbo 4's are the best compromise to power and economy, but nothing sounds or feels as good as a built old-school blg block V8. I guess anything that you spend $25,000 can't be all bad. Unless it's a BMW. I'd rather ride in a rusty Yugo than a BMW. It's not the car itself, it's the owners. And BMW knows it, that's why each and every new BMW comes with a giant stick to put up their posteriors.

And "FTW" is &%@ the world, just ask your local Hells Angels. And if they have "ITCOB" on their jacket, give them space. That's "I Took Care of Business".

For the win... LOL! Fut the wuck is that about?

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Monday, May 08, 2006 11:17 AM on j-body.org
Have yet to meet a V8 that can take my 4 banger...

Runs 10's stock. 40mpg. Would be 205hp per litre, if it was a litre. Only $8500.

Suck it.

---

Monday, May 08, 2006 1:40 PM on j-body.org
^ ^ ^ ^ Really ? I can make an introduction if you'd like. Perhapps you've heard of the gentleman his name is
John Force and he drives a Mustang that runs 4's in a 1/4 @ over 300 mph. Ring any bells AGuSTiN?

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, May 08, 2006 3:24 PM on j-body.org
Agustin: Not many donor-cycle riders around here in the middle of winter.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Monday, May 08, 2006 4:11 PM on j-body.org
WannaBzee (aka BadAceDesign) wrote:Neither is better.

Each has good and bad aspects.

Thats like arguing whether or not left or right is better/

agreed

Monday, May 08, 2006 4:56 PM on j-body.org
i proud v-8 owner here

gas prices be dammed, nothing purrs like a muscle car v-8

Monday, May 08, 2006 5:58 PM on j-body.org
Those of us who ride high output I4s don't really like being called donors there GAM. For some reason we find it troubling. Thanks for thinking of us though.

I do know of one street car that can take my bike, but its an AWD twin turbo Porche and I don't think it counts. There is almost nothing as fast out of the factory.

PAX
Monday, May 08, 2006 6:17 PM on j-body.org
personally im about a 4 cylinder.... but im gonna say both are great both can do great amounts....

v8 will and always be faster just cause its that much bigger. but the downfall to them there big and bulkier, old technology behind them and just a thing of the past in my prospective.

4cyl is a thing of the future. its technology at its best. good fuel economy which is what everyone is looking at now and days.

its like comparing 2 classes of there own and theres really no way to say which is better cause they both have ups and downs.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/827643
boost will be soon for me....

Monday, May 08, 2006 6:21 PM on j-body.org

LS1's never blow up;
Spray that puppy... 02 sensors are overrated.
Monday, May 08, 2006 6:33 PM on j-body.org
i like 4 cyl. more of a challenge to get the higher hp numbers but i think it's more of a reward when you do. i love the sound of an 8, but the lack of gas mileage and the extra weight would make me sad everytime i went to the gas pump. i personally prefer over everything though just one cylinder with 1 pint displacement.

Monday, May 08, 2006 9:58 PM on j-body.org
You cant compare them. But I know I wish I had a LS1 to play with right now than any other 4 cyl. High gas prices or not.

Monday, May 08, 2006 10:28 PM on j-body.org

Monday, May 08, 2006 11:05 PM on j-body.org
^^^ your point?

Monday, May 08, 2006 11:14 PM on j-body.org
Jackalope wrote:^ ^ ^ ^ Really ? I can make an introduction if you'd like. Perhapps you've heard of the gentleman his name is
John Force and he drives a Mustang that runs 4's in a 1/4 @ over 300 mph. Ring any bells AGuSTiN?

And what street might in American might I run into him and his mustang?

Oh that's right, none.

He couldn't take 1980 Celica running on three cylinders on anything BUT a dragstrip, much less my bike!

---

Monday, May 08, 2006 11:16 PM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Agustin: Not many donor-cycle riders around here in the middle of winter.

Hey, it's not my fault you guys live in the cold.

Personally, on a side note, I don't know why you people live there at all. Snow sucks.

---

Monday, May 08, 2006 11:22 PM on j-body.org
Jackalope wrote:^ ^ ^ ^ Really ? I can make an introduction if you'd like. Perhapps you've heard of the gentleman his name is

BTW, I think you're confused.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/blog/john-forces-2006-mustang/11244
Quote:

John Force’s 2006 Mustang

John Force MustangEven though the it shares nothing in common with the production Mustang, other than perhaps some slight curves, it is cool to see the face of John Force’s new funny car resembling that of the new 05-06 Mustang. The body was designed by aerodynamicist, and funny car racer himself, Tim Gibson. Gibson, the former president of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics has designed six of the most successful Funny Car bodies in recent NHRA history, including The ‘01, ‘02, and ‘03 Mustangs used by Team Force. The Force ‘06 Mustang is his last project with the Force team. Gibson says the new Mustang funny car design is the most stable and aerodynamic they’ve ever created. The car will be tested at tracks such as Las Vegas this January. Perhaps the 2006 Mustang funny car will spark a comeback season for John Force, who finished 3rd in the 2005 NHRA points standings.

It's not even a mustang, much less anything resembling a CAR.

---

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 2:26 AM on j-body.org
[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM&00s/c sedans™)]roto'banger owns all

and real drifting was done by muscle cars , before and i mean WAY before , 4cyl attempted it

V8 muscle owns all

what year did the muscle cars start doing it? please provide information to support this claim.

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain
Tuesday, May 09, 2006 5:02 AM on j-body.org
Guys guys guys..

V8s are not "old technology", if you want to play that card I4s have been around longer, if V8s are old, then I4s are even older.

V8s do not have to be large displacement, I know of a 1 litre V8 and a 1 litre V12 just to emphasize that point.
V8s do not have to get poor milage. The right foot has a lot to do with that. They are often more efficient, it's just that they make more power.
Put a 2litre I4 in a big truck and watch it use more fuel just to get the platform rolling, and it will have little to no towing capacity.

I4s can be large displacement, look at AV engines and marine engines.

If fewer parts and lighter engines were the be-all and end-all then we'd all be using 2-stokes.

V8s deliver smoother power
I4s are cheaper to build and easier to maintain.
V5s are just way cool.
Rotory engines have there merits.
Turbine engines are by far the coolest (axial flow turbines that is).

Different configs for different jobs. This debate should be applied to a particular purpose, then there'd be something to debate about.

PAX

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 5:20 AM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN, I don't recall him stipulating "STREET DRIVEN" anywhere in his original post. And if it resembles a Mustang and really isn't one so what? its still a V-8 and its faster
and makes more hp then ..........dare I say ANY 4 cyl that I know of. If anyone knows of a 4 cyl that makes in eccess of 5000 hp then please by all means correct me and show pics as I'd loooove to see it .

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 8:39 AM on j-body.org
Bingo, hahahaha

Although if you want my opinion, give me a 14-cyl radial engine--2 banks of 7.

Goodbye Callisto & Skađi, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Tuesday, May 09, 2006 8:44 AM on j-body.org
AGuSTiN wrote:Personally, on a side note, I don't know why you people live there at all. Snow sucks.

Coming from someone living in Fresno

I had a chance to move to Fresno and picked staying in snowy MI over that.

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 9:00 AM on j-body.org
Chad: You still sold out and now live in AZ though

And I did mean street wise. Me personally. I've rode in many v8's and many 4cyl.
I used to only think you could get high amounts of torque from v8's until I rode in my friends
eclipse and my other friends turbo'd saab. Both threw me back in my seat just as hard as the
s/c mustang cobra, 68 camaro, and 86 mustang saleen i've rode in. Sure if you modify the holy hell out of a
v8 you'll get more h/p but me personally i like the 4cyl. If you want you can create great h/p in a lightweight
car while still getting decent gas mileage and decent reliability. Not that v8's aren't reliable.

"welcome to the most expensive hobby ever..."
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search