V8 vs. 4 banger... READY........ FIGHT!! - Page 4 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: V8 vs. 4 banger... READY........ FIGHT!!
Thursday, May 11, 2006 5:21 AM on j-body.org
Jackalope wrote:YOUR ALL WRONG a 1 litre 3cyl out of a Geo Metro is the way to go ! Who needs more then 90 horse power anyway ?!?!

Did you get a bump in the head? You're really starting to worry me.

Thursday, May 11, 2006 7:48 AM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:Driving like a dick... I'd save it for a track or somewhere where you won't end up looking like the giblet mounds from the aftermath of a Quake, Counter Strike and Postal session fuelled by Red Bull, Bawls and PCP.

How have ya been John?

I don't drive like a dick, but that doesn't mean that I'm obeying the law either. Example - the bike has straight pipes for exhaust, which is clearly illegal but won't introduce my face to the pavement.

Gam, been busy. Had a situation with my job, a small family crisis with my in-laws and spent time in the hospital. Everything is good now, but 2006 has sucked so far.

Geo Metro's make 90 horsepower? wow, I gotta start saving up for one!

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Thursday, May 11, 2006 8:45 AM on j-body.org
ln2johnny wrote:
Jackalope wrote:YOUR ALL WRONG a 1 litre 3cyl out of a Geo Metro is the way to go ! Who needs more then 90 horse power anyway ?!?!

Does my sarcasm elude you ?

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, May 11, 2006 9:06 AM on j-body.org
^^ Sh!t you know what sarcasm is? no wonder we argue so much!

---

Thursday, May 11, 2006 9:33 AM on j-body.org

Thursday, May 11, 2006 1:26 PM on j-body.org
Jackalope wrote:
ln2johnny wrote:

Does my sarcasm elude you ?

Not as much as my sanity. I've been looking for it all damn day.

Thursday, May 11, 2006 3:36 PM on j-body.org
Sanity is a one-trick pony...all you have is rational though....but if you're insane--WHOA! BABY! The sky's the limit.

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Friday, May 12, 2006 5:18 AM on j-body.org
Sanity is WAAAAAAAY over rated !! Being NUTZ iz way more fun! So you talk to your toes? So what! At least your never allone.

Friday, May 12, 2006 11:29 AM on j-body.org
4 banger

nothing like passing up a v8 and seeing the look on there face plus getting easily twice the mileage on a tank

Friday, May 12, 2006 11:43 AM on j-body.org
That's BS. Fast 4 bangers do not get better milage by any real margin. Consumption is dictated by many things, not least HP being produced. If you were passing a V8 in an equal sized vehicle, you were using more fuel, period. There is no debate there. You must burn fuel to make power, it's that simple. How you burn the fuel weather V8 or I4 doesn't matter as much as the fact that it takes X amount of fuel to make X amount of power.

My I4 in my Talon gets worse milage than most modern V8s.

PAX
Friday, May 12, 2006 12:21 PM on j-body.org
*wipes himself off with a towel* I'm sorry, what were you saying?

Friday, May 12, 2006 12:31 PM on j-body.org
ln2johnny wrote:*wipes himself off with a towel* I'm sorry, what were you saying?

Did you pee yourself again ? Geez ! man practice control !

Friday, May 12, 2006 12:44 PM on j-body.org
I wouldn't call it pee...

Friday, May 12, 2006 12:45 PM on j-body.org
Hahahaha wrote:Fast 4 bangers do not get better milage by any real margin.
PAX

Which is why my slow 4 banger gets better mileage.

Also, I stop for gas often, just so I can get $10 at a time. I tell people at the gas station that $10 is outrageous for filling my tank. It's fun to see the look on their faces when they've just put in $40 - $60 in their SUV and I'm grousing about a lousy ten spot.

Ahh, the joys of being a smartass...

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Friday, May 12, 2006 1:26 PM on j-body.org
Dude, I just dropped $40 for a tank on the Cavalier.

And I'm going to get in on the argument here. The statement was made that 4cyl engines don't make better mileage that 8cyl engines by any real margine. I disagree. Look at the advertised fuel economy of a brand new Corvette. Just a plain old Corvette, not even a Z06. Now go look at the mileage of a Cobalt or an Aveo. It's plain to see the Cobalt and the Aveo have better fuel economy. But if power vs economy is the argument, I can understand why one would say a 4cyl isn't better on gas. A 2001 Camaro was rated at roughly 18 city 26 highway, and an EVO III actually makes nearly identical mileage figures. 18 city and surprisingly 24 highway to be exact. And their performance was very comparable.

Friday, May 12, 2006 1:36 PM on j-body.org
I think he said highly modded 4 cylinders don't get much better mileage the a V-8. And thats true, if you slap a blower or turbo on a 4 cylinder to stuff double the amount of air and FUEL into the engine then it would in it N/A form then your useing as much gas a V-8 of double your 4 cylinders displacement.

In other words if your stuffing double the air and fuel into your 2.2 then its useing fuel at a rate equil to a 4.4 and so on. If you stuff even more it say tripple, then your 2.2 is burning the gas as fast as a 6.6. Welcome to owning a V-8 cause theres no difference in gas at this point.

Friday, May 12, 2006 1:45 PM on j-body.org
Right but if you think about what I stated, it doesn't even have to be a modified car. That EVO III rating is straight off the sticker from the EVO that was in my aunt's showroom. I kept the sticker after they sold the car to show one of my friends because we were ironically talking about the very same thing.

Friday, May 12, 2006 2:25 PM on j-body.org
True any turboed 4 banger will swill gas at the rate of a V-8. Sorry I misunderstood you for a second.

Friday, May 12, 2006 3:01 PM on j-body.org
i'll take my 4banger with headerS over your inline 4s any day.

R.I.P. Brian St.Germain
Friday, May 12, 2006 3:13 PM on j-body.org
Jackalope wrote:True any turboed 4 banger will swill gas at the rate of a V-8. Sorry I misunderstood you for a second.

No sweat. A lot of people don't consider that when they buy a little hot box like an EVO or WRX they're not doing much better than the guy with the Trans Am or Corvette. Yeah, it's got half the slugs and jsut as much power. Great. But you're still going through jsut as much fuel. It takes fuel and air to make power. A V-8 just spreads that fuel over more cylinders where that little pocket rocket gets that same fuel crammed into four cylinders. I'll never say I prefer a boosted four because it gets better mileage. I prefer four cylinders simply because it's more of a challenge.

Saturday, May 13, 2006 12:38 PM on j-body.org
I can't belive all the 4cyl supporters. They are arguing about how 4 cyls get better gas mileage. But they are not taking into consideration that if the motors have the same displacement, then gas millage would be similar.

Saturday, May 13, 2006 1:28 PM on j-body.org
Evil Cavalier wrote:I can't belive all the 4cyl supporters. They are arguing about how 4 cyls get better gas mileage. But they are not taking into consideration that if the motors have the same displacement, then gas millage would be similar.

true but if your 4 cyl performs just as good or better than a V8, then your getting more performance with less gas usage, so who cares about what ifs.

look at it this way, take a camaro with a v8, and a hayabusa with an I4 engine, the hayabusa is gonna crush the firebird wiht a little tiny 1.3L

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Saturday, May 13, 2006 1:38 PM on j-body.org
I still don't get the comparison between a 500 pound crotch rocket and a 3000 pound car. It's apples and oranges. A Crazy Birch V-Twin equipped chopper makes what, 150hp? And so does a Z24 Cavalier. But honestly, do you really think that Cavalier stands a chance? No. The chpooer has half the engine and has a third, maybe a fourth of the weight. A Hyabusa or and ANY car other short of a top fuel dragster is a complete waste of a comparison.

Monday, May 15, 2006 5:23 PM on j-body.org
Really it comes down to a few things

Power wise lets compare 2 of the basic "realistic" cars on the market by realistic im talking about the sub 50k market

Subaru Sti vs. basic ls1 vette both make 300hp easy they also run the same speed, so the addage that a 4 can never match an 8 is just pure BS because its been able to for 10 years or more

Design wise they will get about the same gas mileage turboed 4s get high teens high 20s in the highway this is the same as the vette or the new monte carlos with the 5.3 V8s with the displacement on demand tricks, when you have a certain level of power your going to get the same amount of gas mileage with similar curb weight theres just no getting around that

by design a OHV pushrod will get alot more low end torque, but a V8 will always be more heavy in weight so theres a tradeoff in speed and gas mileage, a 4 will always be slightly better properly tuned, geared and weighted with gas and due to the lighter weight faster

so torque vs overall speed and gas mileage are the differences

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Monday, May 15, 2006 5:37 PM on j-body.org
"nothing like passing up a v8 and seeing the look on there face ;"

your 4 banger won't even come close to my v8 without nitros or a turbo

not even close

proud v-8 driver

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search