WMD actually found in Iraq. - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
WMD actually found in Iraq.
Sunday, June 25, 2006 1:22 PM on j-body.org
Sorry GAM, I know you don't like the source...
The declassified .pdf file.

I know it's nothing ground breaking or anything along those lines, but it was news to me that they had much of anything. Just makes you think of how much more of this crap is floating around here. I do believe that old Saddam has a bunch of chemical and biological weapons and ditched them before we took over out here. A lot of countries have chemical weapons though, us included. We do not have biological weapons, but I dunno. The only reason I can think of getting up in arms about WMD is if they were nuclear. As crappy as mustard gas is, it's not against the Geneva Convention to use them.

So, what am I trying to say? Ack, I dunno, but I thought I would put this article out there.

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Re: WMD actually found in Iraq.
Sunday, June 25, 2006 2:34 PM on j-body.org
Mustard gas? Isn't that a WWI weapon? Oooooooh, let's all hide in bed and pull the covers over our heads that Iraq has 60 year old tech for their wmd program...

OK, sarcasm aside, can you really call an occasional can of pepper spray a wmd? It's not like they found a viable nuke or a deliberate water contaminant.

Saddam didn't have wmd's. If he did, he would have used them when we attacked. The fact that we took over the country and didn't have one single wmd launched at us should be convincing enough.

Mustard gas... I've probably got more volitile chemicals in my garage.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Sunday, June 25, 2006 3:14 PM on j-body.org
hey, mustard gas is deadly if you don't have proper protection, so is sarin, which is also reported that they have...so after all this time iraq has been found with WMDs hahahahahah so what do the conspiracy theorists have to say now?? now that weve proven that iraq does indeed have NBC weapons ( nuclear, bilogical and chemical, weapons)

You'll never touch God's hand
You'll never taste God's breath
Because you'll never see the second coming
Life's too short to be focused on insanity
I've seen the ways of God
I'll take the devil any day
Hail Satan

(slayer, skeleton christ, 2006)
Sunday, June 25, 2006 5:00 PM on j-body.org
Mustard Gas is really nasty stuff. Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's not effective anymore. This isn't my point though...

Team GREEN
Suspension Division - "Handling Before Horsepower"
Making the turns since 1999
1998 EK Civic Hatch - Yes, it's a Honda.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 6:02 PM on j-body.org
When I was there we treated a gentleman working with the IAEA in the vicinity of the yellow cake factory who had slipped and cut himself on "oh nothing" and was concerned aboot the wound he had that had not healed a bit in just over a week, next day someone came in and collected all paperwork aboot his visit.

some type of cover-up, probably not, something to think aboot, you bet

before anyone says it, there are plenty of good reasons to collect his records from us

Sunday, June 25, 2006 8:50 PM on j-body.org
Quote:

Saddam didn't have wmd's. If he did, he would have used them when we attacked. The fact that we took over the country and didn't have one single wmd launched at us should be convincing enough.

I dont think he would of been dumb enough to use them. He probably wouldnt be alive right now.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 11:20 PM on j-body.org
Fox News Article wrote:
Offering the official administration response to FOX News, a senior Defense Department official pointed out that the chemical weapons were not in useable conditions.

"This does not reflect a capacity that was built up after 1991," the official said, adding the munitions "are not the WMDs this country and the rest of the world believed Iraq had, and not the WMDs for which this country went to war."

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?
Monday, June 26, 2006 3:31 AM on j-body.org
I'll have to read up on that, Either way, Mustard Gas wasn't on the alleged list of chemical weapons.

On top of that, I seem to remember that it was reported in Iraq's final disclosure to the UN in Feb 2003.

Transeat In Exemplum: Let this stand as the example.

Monday, June 26, 2006 5:49 AM on j-body.org
Mustard gas is horrible stuff, my grandfather spent the last few years of WW I in a French hospital having had mustard gas burn all the skin from his body and blinding him for even more years. Bulletts are old low tech too but they still kill just fine don't they?

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Monday, June 26, 2006 9:58 AM on j-body.org
Like the Canadian WWI troops taught us all, if you are unprepared for a gas attack and you are hit with Mustadard gas... Pee on a rag and save yourself. Nasty stuff yes, but also easily defended against. The Germans ran like hell when our boys walked out of the mustard cloud, little did they know.

Saddam had no delivery stsytem and none has been found. He could have had all the gas in the world, without a delivery system, he was still not a threat.

PAX
Monday, June 26, 2006 11:30 AM on j-body.org
So first it was he none and now that they found some it becomes he couldn't deliver them effectively. Make up your minds ! Either he had them and thats reason enough or he didn't, stop trying to find a nice gray area so that we're still wrong. He had them heres proof this is what you've been beating war drums over to have Dubya impeached for years now so stop trying to add conditions after the fact.

DISCLAIMER::: No I'm not saying just you HAHA .

We were right all along, imagine that ! Now politely apologize and move on.

Monday, June 26, 2006 1:32 PM on j-body.org
Jackalope - we and many other countries have WMD, lots and lots of them. Wasn't the premise for war that Saddam's "massive" cache of (functional) WMDs made him a serious threat?! I mean lots of countries openly carry WMDs, and we don't invade them because they aren't a threat(of course I wonder why we didn't invade N. Korea instead of Iraq - who said at the time they had some nuclear weapons - and that claim is believed to be true btw). These weapons here did not pose much, if any threat - and as GAM mentioned - where listed to and authorized by the UN. He was allowed to have a small amount of declared WMDs - he did have Iran next door after all.

I'll even requote this - from fox news no less
Fox News Article wrote:
Offering the official administration response to FOX News, a senior Defense Department official pointed out that the chemical weapons were not in useable conditions.

"This does not reflect a capacity that was built up after 1991," the official said, adding the munitions "are not the WMDs this country and the rest of the world believed Iraq had, and not the WMDs for which this country went to war."
Therefore that premise for war remains false. Thank you.

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?
Monday, June 26, 2006 1:32 PM on j-body.org
The article also says they have no idea about a WMD buildup post the 1991 Gulf War.

The invation premise was the Saddam had been increasing his stockpile and that he a could deliver the agents to the US or its allies.

That is still false.

PAX
Monday, June 26, 2006 1:39 PM on j-body.org
BK3K the difference is we don't use them on our own people. Also with his prooven ties to terrorists its not that hard to imagine them falling into the wrong / worse hands.

HAHA, Noooo we went in because of several things. His running around of the inspectors, Him firing on our planes, His trying to purchase weapons grade nuclear stuff from Africa. Not so much what he had but what he was trying to get. This is also the problem with Iran currently and why some are afraid we may go in there next.

Monday, June 26, 2006 1:47 PM on j-body.org
Oh BTW mustard gas is illegal for anyone to have. We've been destroying all our stock piles of it, its nasty stuff and that Geneva convention thingie says its a no no. So there ya go one more reason we should have slapped Saddams ass.......oh wait, we did.

Monday, June 26, 2006 4:08 PM on j-body.org
OKay:

First, Jack, RaiLS, Mustard Gas was in the disclosed biochem articles that Iraq had delivered to the UN weapons inspectors in Feb 2003. If anyone had bothered to read the executive summary, it was there, and was listed as being in the country pre-1991 invasion. If it was known about, declared and found, why is it that 3 years after the invasion it's only JUST been found. The agents that were cited to the UN by both Bush and Powell were other newer nerve and blistering agents... The more important fact that you're missing is that the Iraqi Survey Group (ISG) not only confirmed the amounts of all agents but their locations as well, and none of the newer generation chem weapons were in any kind of quantity for war-making (most not even in quanitity enough for research, which Iraq was doing legitimately because Iran posessed the same bio/chem weapons).

Second: RaiLS, I do not generally refer to Fox for news because their journalism standards are "relaxed." Basically, there is personal editorial (otherwise known as opinion) interjected, and objectivity is left on the way side.

Bits like:
Quote:

But they do show that Saddam Hussein was lying when he said all weapons had been destroyed, and it shows that years of on-again, off-again weapons inspections did not uncover these munitions.
basically draw a conclusion for you, and really do not include facts that don't support the argument. Again, this isn't strictly news (neither is it fair or balanced, which brings up a swath of hard new questions like fair to whom? and how tilted is the "balance?"), so I usually pass on it. Lines like I quoted disregard the fact that there was full disclosure, in order to give you an "A HAH!" moment.

If they didn't resort to this kind of sludge journalism, I could at least give them some credit, but I don't frankly see that happening any time soon. Circus tricks like having Geraldo Rivera announce that he's packing a gun in Afghanistan and endangering the lives of other real journalists (basically handing the excuse to the Taliban and al-Queda that they are justified in gunning down reporters) don't impress me in the least.

Finally: I still think that the war was completely unjustified, and really has only made matters worse in the area because now, instead of a single secular regime that the populace could have risen up against and overthrown, there's now 5-6 major powers, and the largest of them is Shi'ite muslims who already have an axe to grind with the US (for Iran, and for the 1992 uprising that was supposed to topple Saddam which the US encouraged, but never put weight behind). Things are NOT better in Iraq.

Saying that only now after 3 years (which brings up a bad joke about not being able to find it with both hands), are you coming up with degraded supplies that were already declared, this is hardly conclusive, and worse, its going to be percieved as clutching at straws. It's as tenuous as saying there is well-known terror links between the Hussein regime and Terrorist organisations when there was like, 1 or 2 old-dogs in the country... None responsible for anything in the last 20 years. I just find it more than a bit insulting to think that a news organisation that furvently toes the current political line is holding up a tempest in a teapot as justification for the de-stabilisation of an area of the world, at a cost of about 10% of your GDP. The war made your lives harder too.

Jack, ToBoGaN: The Yellow Cake fantasy is crap. It was brought up by Akhmed Chalahbi who was trying to goad the UK and US into invading Iraq and deposing Hussein's regime so he and the rest of the Iraqi National Congress could assume control. The UK's MI:5 (Her Majesty's Intelligence Service) found out who he was only after a report had been issued and sent a retraction (which was shared with the US and all NATO allied Intel Services). Problem being: Bush decided to ignore the retraction. The Yellow Cake (ie, North Korean bomb-grade Enriched Uranium) fantasy was shot down 16 ways from sunday when it was originally proposed, but that didn't stop the Bush cabinet from proffering it every time they needed justification for troop build up in Europe and Saudi Arabia.

Iraq DID have several hundred thousand tones of U235 for their civil power reactors, but they didn't have the capacity to create U285 which is more disposed to being bomb material.

As an aside ToBoGaN, If someone cut their hand in an area that was supposed to have had any nuclear fissable material in appreciable amount, I dare say, you were in an area that didn't house the materials, but one that was exceptionally poorly cleaned. U235 isn't safe to be exposed to when shielded for more than 1-2 hours. U285 is fatal after 15 minutes of exposure.

ps
Jack, while the Mustard Gas and Sarin stockpiles are being destroyed, VX and other more efficient nerve/blister agents that the US stores in quantity at PUCD in Colorado and other sites are NOT getting destroyed... The Gov't actually increasing stocks of those agents. If you also look at thisarticle, the Incinerator that is supposed to be built to handle the greater load requirements at Pueblo has been on hold since 1988, and if you research further, the Environmental Superfund National Priorities(used to clean toxic areas for human habition, which was gutted by the GHW Bush adminsitration in 1990) hasn't got the funds to clean up the ground water. This when there are now plans to increase the size of the base.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, June 26, 2006 4:24 PM

Monday, June 26, 2006 4:34 PM on j-body.org
a couple of points i find humorous about this:

If mustard gas is illegal for people to have, why can you bou the components at any local supermarket?

and

If we are invading iraq for shooting at out planes, then why haven't we firebombed New Orleans yet?

Goodbye Callisto & Skaši, Hello Ishara:
2022 Kia Stinger GT2 AWD
The only thing every single person from every single walk of life on earth can truly say
they have in common is that their country is run by a bunch of fargin iceholes.
Monday, June 26, 2006 4:36 PM on j-body.org
GAM you misunderstood, I did not say there was yellow cake, that is what the place was called when I was there. The names used for places were not neccessarily used in the media, like @!#$ City for another example.

I in no way shape or form actually saw any WMDs while in Iraq, just a quick bit of info that I can say 100% that I was present for and not saying what happened as the patient was extremely vague when answering objective questioning during the SOAP work-up.

sorry for the confusion

Monday, June 26, 2006 4:38 PM on j-body.org
Thanks for clearing that up ToBoGgAn

Just a Q: was that an official designation for the complex, or was it slang?

Monday, June 26, 2006 4:42 PM on j-body.org
slang most likely, that's all I ever knew it as

hell, first time I heard it referred to that I didn't even make the connection, maybe the heat, but I was asking myself "WTF, who got lucky enough to go get some MFn twinkies", no seriously, no connection initially and I felt dumb later

BTW that was a Fn fast reply

Monday, June 26, 2006 7:00 PM on j-body.org
Just lucky

I was in AG and flipped here.

Monday, June 26, 2006 10:46 PM on j-body.org
GAM (The Kilted One) wrote:
Finally: I still think that the war was completely unjustified, and really has only made matters worse in the area because now, instead of a single secular regime that the populace could have risen up against and overthrown, there's now 5-6 major powers, and the largest of them is Shi'ite muslims who already have an axe to grind with the US (for Iran, and for the 1992 uprising that was supposed to topple Saddam which the US encouraged, but never put weight behind). Things are NOT better in Iraq.

^^ Well put.

And I'm not afraid that the US may invade Iran... I fully believe that dubya will make a move on Iran right before election time to secure his brother's election. But that's a whole other topic.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Tuesday, June 27, 2006 5:56 AM on j-body.org
Well actualy the US has joined the Europiens in peacefull negotiations so I doubt we'll attack tommorrow.
And Gam WMD's are WMD's it matters not how old or how poorly they may be deployed the fact remains that he did in fact have them, used them, and tried to purchase even nastier ones.

So there ya go WMD's FOUND

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 8:41 AM on j-body.org
Jackalope wrote:
And Gam WMD's are WMD's it matters not how old or how poorly they may be deployed the fact remains that he did in fact have them, used them, and tried to purchase even nastier ones.

So there ya go WMD's FOUND

You have got to be kidding... So a few cans of mustard gas with no way to use it justifies taking over a country and all the loss of life? So to bring this down to the neighborhood level, the FBI should storm your house, arrest you and kill your family because you have a can of paint thinner, a gallon of gas and a bottle of vineger?

Take the "I love Bush" blinders off for a second and re-evaluate this. There are other countries that have much more wmd's (some even use them in parades) and openly HATE the US, but we didn't go after any of them. For whatever reason, we've killed a shload of people over Saddam allegedly having wmd's. A few cans of mustard gas hardly justifies all that we've done to Iraq.

John Wilken
2002 Cavalier
2.2 Vin code 4
Auto
Tuesday, June 27, 2006 8:44 AM on j-body.org
Um, I never said it was worth the loss of life only that they did find WMD's. I'm not argueing the war was done poorly but it seems that the intell that the attack was based on was not just a bunch of BS. Them finding the Serin and Mustard gas prooves that.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search