FDA Tobacco Ban - Page 3 - Politics and War Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: FDA Tobacco Ban
Wednesday, September 30, 2009 11:11 AM on j-body.org
lmao^^^^

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 12:31 PM on j-body.org
Greedy Capitalist Pig wrote:
Mr.Goodwrench-G.T. wrote:
Greedy Capitalist Pig wrote: the ones who don't get it very often are the ones who consider it "getting lucky" and feel the need to talk big about their so-called sex life. The rest of us feel no need to make a big thing about it.

Coming from a person that solely believes in abstinence, your sentence doesn't quite have to much validity now does it?
Shake it easy. lol

LMAO. That's really the best you could come up with?

I was going to ask you if you agree that everything you did when you were younger was a good decision, but then I remembered that you haven't grown up, so I guess that would have been a ridiculous question.

Coming from a person that results to making childish cartoons when he's mad, doesn't quite speaks volumes to your validity on how mature you want to portray yourself, now does it?
So what's next Tonto?

THE POLITICALLY INCORRECT ONE.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 1:31 PM on j-body.org
Greedy Capitalist Pig wrote:
Greedy Capitalist Pig wrote: the ones who don't get it very often are the ones who consider it "getting lucky" and feel the need to talk big about their so-called sex life. The rest of us feel no need to make a big thing about it.

Coming from a person that solely believes in abstinence, your sentence doesn't quite have to much validity now does it?
Shake it easy. lol

LMAO. That's really the best you could come up with?

I was going to ask you if you agree that everything you did when you were younger was a good decision, but then I remembered that you haven't grown up, so I guess that would have been a ridiculous question.

Coming from a person that results to making childish cartoons when he's mad, doesn't quite speaks volumes to your validity on how mature you want to portray yourself, now does it?
So what's next Tonto?

guess this post is done since the only responces are just personal attacks on each other. NEXT!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:37 PM on j-body.org
lol^^

SO do you think they will ban menthol and make em in cigar form like they have been talking about?

I heard the Djarums are coming back in cigar form

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:51 PM on j-body.org
^ i have a feeling thats what a lot of tobacco brands will do to get around the ban. i'm not really sure how i feel about that, hopefully they'll be basically the same as before, but labeled as cigars.

of course, that all depends on the government not banning flavored cigars as well.

Check out my build thread!

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:12 PM on j-body.org
Yeah I really dont think any cigarette will taste the same wrapped in tobacco leaves IMO

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:40 PM on j-body.org
Greedy Capitalist Pig wrote:The American way has been hard work and ingenuity. Yeah, there were years where wrong was done on the issue of slavery, but it doesn't cloud the fact that we have been, up until the past 20+ years, a country of people willing to work hard for things. However, we have become an entire fast-food, instant gratification society, where the majority of people are looking for an excuse for everything, and a good life for little work. This is a fairly recent thing in our history, it is not where we came from.

QFT

For the past 20 years the American way has been kissing ass to get ahead and the making of a quick buck. Nobody's willing to work when the job can be passed on to someone else. Times are gone for honest men.

But on the subject of tobacco, who cares? Real men smoke cigars, anyway.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 7:07 PM on j-body.org
u cant inhale cigars, well ure not supposed to :-(

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 7:13 PM on j-body.org
So you get mouth cancer instead of lung cancer. Big deal!

Thursday, October 01, 2009 6:45 AM on j-body.org
Bill Hahn Jr. wrote:So you get mouth cancer instead of lung cancer. Big deal!

QFT!

Thursday, October 01, 2009 7:32 AM on j-body.org
So all of you smokers.... How many of you have contacted your congessman yet?

“Poor Al Gore. Global warming completely debunked via the very Internet you invented. Oh, oh, the irony!” -Jon Stewart

Thursday, October 01, 2009 8:14 AM on j-body.org
not me lol, if they ban it ill just stop smoking, I shouldve quit a long time ago, plus I smoke "non flavored cigarettes" anyway lol

Thursday, October 01, 2009 6:50 PM on j-body.org
I just contacted my local congressman, probably won't do any good, but i guess we'll see.

Thursday, October 01, 2009 10:15 PM on j-body.org
I wonder if the people pissed about this are bothered much by any other nanny state anti-drug laws? I think if you support marijuana being illegal then tobacco being illegal as well is a no-brainer. One could pretty easily argue that it is really tobacco that is the real "gateway drug." Its more addictive than the majority of ILLEGAL drugs, causes several forms of cancer etc - so if you actually believe that the government has any role in saying what you can put into/do with your own body - then this too should receive your full support. Also, you should call for the reinstatement of alcohol prohibition.

Of course if you are like me, then you see this as nothing more than the Government simply moving "the line" (as in where do you draw the line) a tiny bit. Its a minor adjustment of "the line" and nothing more. I personally don't think "the line" should exist, that the government has no constitutional nor rightful role in protecting me from myself and my own dumb decisions. But people who disagree should be all for this move.

Or is it the difference of "now it affects me because I use tobacco" where you don't want to use other illegal things. It starts with flavored tobacco and will no doubt end up against all tobacco. But if you where not complaining before the prohibition mentality affected you, then you have no right to complain now - or if you do maybe you might want to defend the principal of freedom instead of defending tobacco use only. The people behind this believe they can and should force "a better way" upon other people. Its not the details/specific examples that need defeated, but the whole mentality that must be abandoned.

Thursday, October 01, 2009 11:04 PM on j-body.org
^ thank you. very well said, sir.

it all comes down to this, the government thinks the people are too stupid to make decent decisions on their own. so they figure they can make better decisions for everyone as a whole. they should not have the power to ban certain products, especially just because they feel its marketed towards minors. the average gas station doesn't carry these products anyway.

when kids decide they want to try smoking, the cigarettes that come to mind certainly aren't cloves or apple flavored cigs that you have to order online. they want marlboros, camels, pall malls, etc. and they'll find a way to get them. banning flavored cigs isn't going to help the problem of underage smoking, it will hurt the people that like the occasional good tasting cig, and the industry as a whole.

Thursday, October 01, 2009 11:32 PM on j-body.org
God damn some of you people LOL

As for the racist thing... Im white and Smoked newports for years.... although I smoke Camel Lights now (side effect from trying to quit)

Tobacco companies are not evil... and they dont make kids smoke..... kids do it of thier own free will.... they mimic others around them much in the same way a Toddler will stab her food with a crayon because she sees mommy using a fork... the tobacco companies havnt advertised for years..... and I wouldnt consider them evil because they are just making a buck off of peoples poor choices.... and thats just normal business. (although I do believe they should be less addicting)

As for this banning flavored smokes thing.... ya its stupid as hell.... but it wont matter at all because people will just start smoking something else that is also made by the same company that made the flavored ones.... although I am against almost all laws in general for reasons most of you should know by now so I am against it.

SNSDGOOD - I dont know why most people started smoking either.... It really doesnt make sense.... I refrained from smoking for years... never felt the need..... the only reason I started was because I had a death wish (sort of) at the time and I just didnt give a damn anymore (fiqured I was prob gunna die in active service anyway) and they where a way for me to escape and relax..... now that im out and OK and actually care if I live or die again... I've tried quitting several times but havnt yet...

I have insomnia really bad and when I dont smoke I litterally dont sleep at all and it jeopardizes my job.... thats what kept me from quitting this time (I almost made it)..... im planning on seeing a doctor about the sleep issues soon.

Although I do have to say that when I gave people crap for not being able to quit (before I smoked) that these things are way more addictive than I ever could have imagined...

Friday, October 02, 2009 9:05 AM on j-body.org
bk3k wrote:I wonder if the people pissed about this are bothered much by any other nanny state anti-drug laws? I think if you support marijuana being illegal then tobacco being illegal as well is a no-brainer. One could pretty easily argue that it is really tobacco that is the real "gateway drug." Its more addictive than the majority of ILLEGAL drugs, causes several forms of cancer etc - so if you actually believe that the government has any role in saying what you can put into/do with your own body - then this too should receive your full support. Also, you should call for the reinstatement of alcohol prohibition.

Of course if you are like me, then you see this as nothing more than the Government simply moving "the line" (as in where do you draw the line) a tiny bit. Its a minor adjustment of "the line" and nothing more. I personally don't think "the line" should exist, that the government has no constitutional nor rightful role in protecting me from myself and my own dumb decisions. But people who disagree should be all for this move.

Or is it the difference of "now it affects me because I use tobacco" where you don't want to use other illegal things. It starts with flavored tobacco and will no doubt end up against all tobacco. But if you where not complaining before the prohibition mentality affected you, then you have no right to complain now - or if you do maybe you might want to defend the principal of freedom instead of defending tobacco use only. The people behind this believe they can and should force "a better way" upon other people. Its not the details/specific examples that need defeated, but the whole mentality that must be abandoned.

Seems you and I pretty much agree here. This is just an example of the amount of government control increasing. They take liberties one at a time, all in the name of "doing the right thing" for society, but people who support it don't seem to realize that one major fact: it's just another thing they are telling you that you can not do.

As for the difference between cigarettes and currently illegal drugs, that's a slightly different argument, which we already have a thread for, so let's not junk this one up.

Friday, October 02, 2009 9:54 AM on j-body.org
i think allot of people look at it as if your going to screw up your body then they wouldnt really have a huge issue, but when it comes to reality, its you can screw up your body and then i am taxed to take care of your choices. then i have an issue with it.

yeah its the goverment telling you what you can and can not do. the goverment that we elected to make choices for us.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, October 02, 2009 10:08 AM on j-body.org
no the government was elected to do the will of the people. they were not elected to think for us, they were elected to represent us in government.

Friday, October 02, 2009 11:02 AM on j-body.org
While I am no fan of increased governmental control, I don't see any great doom looming. They've been telling us what we can and can't do for a very long time...I sense no assault on the Bill of Rights. Heck, even alcohol was completely prohibited at one point 80 years ago...

Nothing new to see here, folks. Tobacco remains a "popular demon" in today's world. I don't have a problem with this. Just like yesterday the same effort was thrown at something else, tomorrow it will be something else yet again.

Friday, October 02, 2009 11:46 AM on j-body.org
just because they've been doing it for a long time doesn't mean it's right

Friday, October 02, 2009 11:53 AM on j-body.org
Well...it DOES mean that this is mostly wasted energy railing against it.

Sure, it isn't you or your fellow tobbacco users' fault that the effects of the product have been found to be so ghastly as to attract government intervention, but that's really beside the point. Why fight what you can't fix?

So often we just plain suffer from Too Much Information these days. We just have too many things to get pissed at!

Friday, October 02, 2009 1:36 PM on j-body.org
Bill Hahn Jr. wrote:While I am no fan of increased governmental control, I don't see any great doom looming. They've been telling us what we can and can't do for a very long time...I sense no assault on the Bill of Rights. Heck, even alcohol was completely prohibited at one point 80 years ago...

Nothing new to see here, folks. Tobacco remains a "popular demon" in today's world. I don't have a problem with this. Just like yesterday the same effort was thrown at something else, tomorrow it will be something else yet again.

I agree with everything said. Its not todays government only it was done all the way back to the 20s and 30s with alcohol, its just whatever is big @ the time. At that time it was alcohol today it is cigarettes.

If they ban all cigarettes sooner or later they will bring it back...plus they didnt ban the growing of tabacco yet so go ahead and roll your own @ home

Friday, October 02, 2009 9:33 PM on j-body.org
I always get a kick out of how people bring up tax money....

First of all.... If I get cancer from smoking... my medical insurance is going to pay for it.... not your taxes..... and although it does effect medical insurance premiums to a point..... if for some reason people started becoming more healthy in large masses..... hospitals would just raise there fees to compensate for the lost income and you would prob pay about the same in premiums..

As for the tax argument...... I dont believe that I should have to pay the portion of the taxes that go to the public school systems because I dont have kids in school (or kids at all) and I know a lot of people will say im wrong.... but the idea is the same...

On a side note I picked up some of those nicotine lozenges today and they seem to work pretty damn good so far (crossing my fingers)

Friday, October 02, 2009 10:11 PM on j-body.org
congrats for taking the plunge! i've quit off and on since i started, but never fully kicked the whole thing. i'm down to about 4-5 cigs a day though, from about half a pack to 3/4ths of a pack a day.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search