is it bad to do 'performance' oriented mods on a 'show' car? - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
is it bad to do 'performance' oriented mods on a 'show' car?
Friday, June 20, 2008 8:40 AM
just need some imput here...

i mod my car with the intention to take it to car shows, cruize around and have fun in. but i do also enjoy mashing the gas pedal every once n awhile. so why is it viewed as a 'ricer' thing to do to mod out a car with carbon fiber panels for weight savings and look and put 'go fast' goodies on it but take it to car shows?

just been getting bashed on lately for this kind of stuff...

not just for doing those kinds of mods and saying its a 'show' car, but because its cavalier in general it gets viewed as junk right out of the box and i dont understand why.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, June 20, 2008 8:41 AM

Re: is it bad to do 'performance' oriented mods on a 'show' car?
Friday, June 20, 2008 8:50 AM
it's not if the exterior's not like... riced. there's nothing wrong with making a car that looks and performs good. you're making an all around car, not just one purpose, and that's the best.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Friday, June 20, 2008 8:50 AM
who gives a @!#$. why do people worry about what other people think all the time? do what you want, @!#$ everyone else.

Friday, June 20, 2008 8:57 AM
who cares what others think....I build my cars for me....no one else...

Friday, June 20, 2008 8:58 AM
Moar Candy! LAWL wrote:who gives a @!#$. why do people worry about what other people think all the time? do what you want, @!#$ everyone else.

listen to this man....he speaks the truf

Friday, June 20, 2008 9:17 AM
(tabs) wrote:
Moar Candy! LAWL wrote:who gives a @!#$. why do people worry about what other people think all the time? do what you want, @!#$ everyone else.

listen to this man....he speaks the truf

agreed but also if your going for looks don't go around trying to brag about about the performance or how much lighter stuff is. or it will come back up later. like i did to you. not meaning to offend just returning what you said to me. i know i'm probaly not the only just using that as an example. remember.

Friday, June 20, 2008 9:35 AM
John Benham wrote:who cares what others think....I build my cars for me....no one else...

Yep.
I mod my cav for performance. I also add little things I like. I do not care if others like it. If they do great. If they don't I do not care.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Friday, June 20, 2008 9:40 AM
As people are saying dont worry what others say- if we were all conformists to what other people thought or said we would all be driving the same car, kind of a scary thought to me!

Beside why lighten with carbon fibre, just get rid of the hood all together- lighter yet j/k

_

Now with northstar V8, IRS, 20's n 22's
Friday, June 20, 2008 9:47 AM
Quote:

As people are saying dont worry what others say- if we were all conformists to what other people thought or said we would all be driving the same car, kind of a scary thought to me!

to add to that, if we all conformed to what other people thought, we wouldn't be driving cavaliers. thats for damn sure.

Check out my build thread!

Friday, June 20, 2008 9:55 AM
just curious, but dont you bash people for "rice"? so the shoes on the other foot now?

and secondly why do you care what others think or say? if you're a true enthusiest, you'd build YOUR car how YOU want it. not because of what some douchheface says.

if YOU like it, do it. @!#$ haters

Friday, June 20, 2008 10:49 AM
granted.. i do tend to care what others think, but thats the show car side of me coming through...

and yea, joey... i do sometimes bash for 'rice' or at least argue about what is 'rice' and what isnt, but that doesnt necessarily mean i wouldnt appreciate if someone told me something i was doing was 'rice'. i like constructive criticism, i just dont like all out bashing on something ive put my heart and soul into.

basically this is just a rant on how much our cars are out right HATED and how mods on other cars are viewed as 'acceptable' but once on ours they are retarded junk and were 'ricing' them out.

Friday, June 20, 2008 11:12 AM

yuppers.

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Friday, June 20, 2008 11:24 AM
z yaaaa wrote:granted.. i do tend to care what others think, but thats the show car side of me coming through...

and yea, joey... i do sometimes bash for 'rice' or at least argue about what is 'rice' and what isnt, but that doesnt necessarily mean i wouldnt appreciate if someone told me something i was doing was 'rice'. i like constructive criticism, i just dont like all out bashing on something ive put my heart and soul into.

basically this is just a rant on how much our cars are out right HATED and how mods on other cars are viewed as 'acceptable' but once on ours they are retarded junk and were 'ricing' them out.

i hear ya....you just gotta have thick skin. i get bashed for alot of stuff ive done to my car....do i care...not one bit. I built it how I envisioned it, and im thouroughly happy with the outcome. most people wont like it, and thats fine. i didnt build it for others to like it. i built cus i love it.

do what you wanna do and dont look back. best advice i can give ya. and usually when someone hates, theres a reason. either lack of knowledge, lack of intelligence, jealosy or plain ignorance.

Friday, June 20, 2008 11:29 AM
z yaaaa wrote:basically this is just a rant on how much our cars are out right HATED and how mods on other cars are viewed as 'acceptable' but once on ours they are retarded junk and were 'ricing' them out.

because most people do. every visually modified cavalier i've seen in person was riced

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Friday, June 20, 2008 11:42 AM
[ion wrote: C2]
z yaaaa wrote:basically this is just a rant on how much our cars are out right HATED and how mods on other cars are viewed as 'acceptable' but once on ours they are retarded junk and were 'ricing' them out.

because most people do. every visually modified cavalier i've seen in person was riced

body kitted alero sedan?

pot-kettle?

Friday, June 20, 2008 11:42 AM
^^^ yep, same goes for around here. which is why i get such good reactions from people AROUND HERE where i live. but for some reason my city is living in a 1999 fast and the furious bubble.

Friday, June 20, 2008 1:05 PM
I BUILT MY CAR FOR ME.

DON'T CARE WHAT SOMEBODY THINKS, OTHER THAN JUDGES AT SHOWS, LOL.

That's just my logic though.

Stuff For Sale - Classified Ads - Click Here!
Friday, June 20, 2008 1:16 PM
J03Y wrote:body kitted alero sedan?
pot-kettle?

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I have a coupe. Are you saying my car is rice and I have no right to call other cars I see rice? If so, @!#$ you, I like it, and that's all that matters. I built it for me, not to impress others. I have some show, some go, and some whoa. But mostly go. Click the signature to see details.

Four door cavaliers with huge aluminum wings, side graphics, and fart cans are ricers, regardless of what I drive. I love Cavaliers, nice coupes. But most of the ones I've seen in person have been pieces of @!#$. End of story.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Friday, June 20, 2008 1:18 PM
[ion wrote: C2]
J03Y wrote:body kitted alero sedan?
pot-kettle?

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I have a coupe. Are you saying my car is rice and I have no right to call other cars I see rice? If so, @!#$ you, I like it, and that's all that matters. I built it for me, not to impress others. I have some show, some go, and some whoa. But mostly go. Click the signature to see details.

Four door cavaliers with huge aluminum wings, side graphics, and fart cans are ricers, regardless of what I drive. I love Cavaliers, nice coupes. But most of the ones I've seen in person have been pieces of @!#$. End of story.

a little too much sand in the vag?

Friday, June 20, 2008 1:23 PM
No?

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Friday, June 20, 2008 1:27 PM
my point was it doesnt feel good when people call you "rice" does it? like the reason this thread was started. but yet you do it to others.

but im not getting into the whole rice convo again...its useless.

ps - i looked real quick and thought it was a sedan, not a coupe...my mistake

Friday, June 20, 2008 2:23 PM
rice has basically turned into anything that someone doesnt like. one man rice is another mans chop suey or something to that effect. just build your car how you want i usually dont hear negative comments on my car. im sure their said but i guess people wait till im not around to say them. but remember when your at a show competing with your car the idiot that made the reamark is probalby a spectator who parked his ratty beat up car in th parking lot and paid money to come in and see show cars so walk away with that in your pocket.

on a side note if your going to get serious showing off your car you need engine modifacations. stock motors wont net you point and it takes points to win shows. having a modified engine is no diffrent then having a modified exteior or interior, gotta have it at shows to win. and to get the most points at bigger shows your going to need to be boosted or throwing down allot of power you can prove n/a to gain the most points.

another thing to point out is that were not in a show cycle right now. what i mean by that is shows were allot bigger a few years back and show cars were allot more accepted but then a certain movie came out that had shows cars in it. and even though most of those cars had more horsepower then most of whats on the street they were viewd as rice and show cars suddenly became somewhat uncool to have. if youve been around the site you can even see it on here how the trend has moved away from kitted cars back to stock looking cars, its the new trend and will be for a couple years im sure till people get tired and move onto something new. so just forget about what people say and build it for what you like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Friday, June 20, 2008 2:43 PM
Kevin Richter wrote:I BUILT MY CAR FOR ME.

DON'T CARE WHAT SOMEBODY THINKS, OTHER THAN JUDGES AT SHOWS, LOL.

That's just my logic though.

Gotta be carefull with that too. I am not going to lie, its nice to hear your name called out when they are handing out rewards, but you have to be carefull not to take it personally if they dont like your ride. Remember the judges are only a couple, who have opinions and biases as well.
Without getting into too long of a story- last year i came pretty close to dropping building cars all together- i was at a show getting huge props from a lot of people and there were only a couple J's there that were well built. I didnt even place and for some reason it pissed me off to no end. After not even looking at the car for a couple months i decided f-it, now is time to build something i have always dreamed of, with no worries of other opinions (judges included) I still go to shows to be with friends but not under the same kind of "pressure"
Uh, sorry that got a little long but you get my point I'm sure.

_

Now with northstar V8, IRS, 20's n 22's
Friday, June 20, 2008 2:45 PM
joey, you got me. i will eat my words now.

jason said it best.

97ztwo4... car shows shouldnt be about what the judges like personally, it should be down to the cleanest, most organized and professionally built. i would never want to go to a show where the judges decide if they like your car or not before you get an award.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, June 20, 2008 2:49 PM

Friday, June 20, 2008 3:15 PM
^^^i like that sig!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search