Suggestions on making this site better? - Page 5 - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Suggestions on making this site better?
Saturday, November 08, 2008 5:46 PM

Saturday, November 08, 2008 8:08 PM
(tabs) wrote:

"hey, i sold my J 3 years ago. but now i can give people karma points on the .org! i am soooo back there!" that just doesnt seem right, does it?

no, no it doesnt... i wasnt referring to the dead beats that come back here...

+ + + ++ + +++ + =
Sunday, November 09, 2008 7:23 AM
I have been reading some of these and being able to modify ones post is definitly a good idea

Where I work: HP
What I take for Memory and Focus: Focus Fast

Sunday, November 09, 2008 7:43 AM
1996blackHB wrote:I have been reading some of these and being able to modify ones post is definitly a good idea

go premium and you can

edit: just because i can.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, November 09, 2008 7:45 AM

Sunday, November 09, 2008 8:00 AM
LOL yeah i am new but ive been thinking about it

Where I work: HP
What I take for Memory and Focus: Focus Fast

Sunday, November 09, 2008 9:31 AM
how can you find out who is a moderator of a particular forum section?

Sunday, November 09, 2008 12:16 PM
z yaaaa wrote:i really dont see what the problem with having a viewable post count...

I do, and there is a good reason why I haven't done it yet. With a message board as big as ours (across all forums, the total post count is well into the millions) it is a massive performance hit. I know speed is the number one problem people have with some other message boards, and there is a good reason that ours runs as well as it does, considering the 6 year old hardware the site is still running on - my code is highly efficient. I'm not going to add new features unless the need outweighs the performance hit (or we start a new server fund to upgrade the hardware).

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Sunday, November 09, 2008 6:14 PM
well when you put it that way... i completely understand. never mind.

+ + + ++ + +++ + =
Sunday, November 09, 2008 6:44 PM
I think selling parts is the biggest thing that needs a little tweaking and people have already hit on the major things that would help.

I think the set up on MustangForums.com is the best I have come across.

1. Minimum of 50 posts before you are allowed to post in the classifieds(and mods should always have a way to see how many posts each person has made, and to see if they were simply trolling to get post count so their @!#$ doesn't get deleted).
2. Classifieds is a forum. You can post your parts and reply in the thread with offers, questions, requests, info, anything.
3. RULES.
-post your location
-willingness to ship or not
-ASKING PRICE. No "shoot me an offer" everyone knows how much they are looking to get for a part, they shouldn't be looking for that highball offer.
-Any for sale ads posted in any forum other than the classified forum gets deleted instantly. anyone making that mistake a second time gets a 24hour ban. Regional, generation specific, interior/exterior specific, doesn't matter EVERY SINGLE for sale post goes to the classifieds, if they want it picked up locally, they will say that in the thread.

I like the setup they have. It works, keeps all the fighting between regional forums out, and everyone has a very specific set of rules that don't need to bend for certain regions because they let things get out of hand.

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

In my family we teach that boys have a God-stick and girls have a Shame Cave. -John Stewart
Monday, November 10, 2008 6:57 AM
I agree with everything but the "no regional" classified postings.
What else goes on in the regional forums except local shows or meets or a general bs?
I like the option of being able to post my stuff in my local region.
But the only thing i dont like is the for sale posts with 1 or 2 useless things that the seller keeps bumping for no reason, but you take the good with the bad.

And add to the rules that it must have a picture of each item your selling. I hate seeing for sale posts and having to ask the seller for a picture. If you don't have everything right then and there for the potential buyer to see then you shouldn't be posting the ad.

RIP JessE -- You are not forgotten! | FaceBook | G+
Monday, November 10, 2008 11:16 AM
s1lver_N1p wrote:how can you find out who is a moderator of a particular forum section?

you get a warning/ban from said moderator.

Monday, November 10, 2008 11:41 AM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:I think selling parts is the biggest thing that needs a little tweaking and people have already hit on the major things that would help.

1. Minimum of 50 posts before you are allowed to post in the classifieds(and mods should always have a way to see how many posts each person has made, and to see if they were simply trolling to get post count so their @!#$ doesn't get deleted).
2. Classifieds is a forum. You can post your parts and reply in the thread with offers, questions, requests, info, anything.
3. RULES.
-post your location
-ASKING PRICE. No "shoot me an offer" everyone knows how much they are looking to get for a part, they shouldn't be looking for that highball offer.
-Any for sale ads posted in any forum other than the classified forum gets deleted instantly. anyone making that mistake a second time gets a 24hour ban. Regional, generation specific, interior/exterior specific, doesn't matter EVERY SINGLE for sale post goes to the classifieds, if they want it picked up locally, they will say that in the thread.

I like the setup they have. It works, keeps all the fighting between regional forums out, and everyone has a very specific set of rules that don't need to bend for certain regions because they let things get out of hand.

i agree with JL here. There have been plenty of times i have seen for sale thread go up in 2-3 different regional forums....thats BS if you ask me...the same thread 3 times in 3 forums is retarded. A classified section with a [FS] for sale [WTB] want to buy, or [WTT] want to trade sections would be cool.

Monday, November 10, 2008 2:11 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:I think selling parts is the biggest thing that needs a little tweaking and people have already hit on the major things that would help.

3. RULES.
-post your location

If its broken, like it currently is on the JBO.... I doubt its going to get fixed anytime in our future, nothing will change except the notion of banning people and warning those who state their opinions. Great idea I just don't see it happening

Monday, November 10, 2008 10:19 PM
It just blows my mind how well that exact setup works on both of the Mustang forums I am on. And Jhand, they have regional forums on those sites too. They also strictly enforce that NO for sale ads get placed in ANY forum except the classified forum. Know what that makes me automatically do when I sign in, if I want to buy a car part? Go directly to the classified section and search before I bother going to the other forums.

Seriously, check the set-ups on www.mustangforums.com and www.modularfords.com and tell me those classified setups aren't 100times better than the BS setup we have now?

In my family we teach that boys have a God-stick and girls have a Shame Cave. -John Stewart
Tuesday, November 11, 2008 2:33 PM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:I think the set up on MustangForums.com is the best I have come across.

Those are good ideas, but I hope what I am working on slowly but surely will be better. For the most part I want to keep classifieds its own dedicated section away from the forums, but it will be integrated with the forums, too.

I can't go over all the details, but here's the summary. First, I will add the ability to reply to a classified post, just like a forum post. I think this is the most requested feature, and makes the most sense. Second, you will be able to specify regions for a post (and not all of them - I'll probably make it intelligent enough to only allow adjacent regions). With the addition of that, I will integrate it in some way with the regional forums. That way it will be very easy to go between a regional forum and that regions classifieds.

That is the major changes, and there will probably be many more minor changes. I'll definitely take into consideration some of the points you made - specify shipping/pick-up options, actual price, etc. I like those ideas. I hadn't even thought of having a minimum post count before allowing a post in classifieds, but its a very good idea.

Bubba 2.0 GLS wrote:nothing will change except the notion of banning people and warning those who state their opinions. Great idea I just don't see it happening

Hey give me a break, I did reduce your bad once I got more info on the whole situation. Personally, I prefer not to ban anyone unless it is absolutely necessary. I can't speak for all the moderators - they do far more around here then I do. I'm pretty much hands-off unless a serious issue arises. Some mods are more strict then others. I do try to advocate less bans, and more of what we call 0-day warnings - warnings that disappear after the very next post you make.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about
the former." - Albert Einstein

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 3:11 PM
Dave wrote:
I can't speak for all the moderators - they do far more around here then I do. I'm pretty much hands-off unless a serious issue arises. Some mods are more strict then others.

i wish we had more active moderators...

as for the for sale. i RARELY visit the classifieds forum. what i would see happening is as soon as someone posts its pushed to the second page by the 50 for sale posts being posted. i like doing it in the regionals because its local. goes to people you speak with quite a bit. and you can meet up with them in person and get the money and exchange parts and shoot the @!#$ with them. if there is a classified forum. i might check it out but its easier to see whats local i think.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 5:15 PM
I agree with more mods as well.

Hell I'll even offer to help since Im online all damn day.

Satch Timeline Progress Thread
JGM T-SHIRTS!!!!

In Loving Memory of Phil Martin December 14 2005
Alexis: Dustin, you're ghey, lol. I am better. I have tits, and tits rule all.
Tuesday, November 11, 2008 8:34 PM
I SATCHMOE YOU!!!! wrote:I agree with more mods as well.

Hell I'll even offer to help since Im online all damn day.

X2 and we need to really put an end to all the flaming. Alot of posts that could've been useful have been ruined by people talking crap. I've been on several different forums for many different cars and have never seen anything this bad. Its like half the time the mods either don't notice or don't care. Flaming should have strict enforcment with strict consequences. I believe that is one of the contributing factors to this sites slow death. Also the fact that Js were discontinued 4 model years ago.

The Outlaw
98 Pontiac Sunfire (Christine)
2200 5spd
Red with Black racing stripes.

Don't let the punks get to you. If they can't say anything helpful its because they probably
have VERY LITTLE IF ANY MECHANICAL SKILLS . Talking crap is just their way of hiding that
fact. They figure the more crap they say the less likley anyone will know how dumb they are.
Tuesday, November 11, 2008 11:42 PM
Go to VW Vortex and and tell me our flaming is out of line. Grow some balls, don't be a cry baby, and suck it up. Those are the only things I can say to help you cope with the flaming. It happens. Some people deal with it, some of it gets dealt with, and some people cry and run away. So be it.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 5:18 AM
JLAudioCavalier wrote:Go to VW Vortex and and tell me our flaming is out of line. Grow some balls, don't be a cry baby, and suck it up. Those are the only things I can say to help you cope with the flaming. It happens. Some people deal with it, some of it gets dealt with, and some people cry and run away. So be it.

word. people who complain about flaming are weak people. I don't know how many times it can be said...but this is....in fact.....an internet forum. get over it.

ps- Make me a mod Dave

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:11 PM
I usually just ignore the flaming. But my point is people arn't going to take us seriously if we act like a bunch of immature idiots all the time. This site exists for us to help each other make our cars better. Not talk crap. I'm not weak for speaking the truth. This thread is about suggestions to make this site better so I gave one.

The Outlaw
2200 5spd

Don't let the punks get to you. If they can't say anything helpful its because they probably
have VERY LITTLE IF ANY MECHANICAL SKILLS . Talking crap is just their way of hiding that
fact. They figure the more crap they say the less likley anyone will know how dumb they are.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:49 PM
the outlaw wrote:I usually just ignore the flaming. But my point is people arn't going to take us seriously if we act like a bunch of immature idiots all the time. This site exists for us to help each other make our cars better. Not talk crap. I'm not weak for speaking the truth. This thread is about suggestions to make this site better so I gave one.

Fully understandable, and I see your point...but the general auto enthusiest doesn't respect a J owner to begin with. You can re-read the 100+ threads of people whining about that fact. Secondly, who gives a damn if others do or do not respect them? Especially on an internet forum? Respect is earned through hard work and a final product, not an internet forum.....although I guess other see it different.

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:14 PM
J03Y wrote:
the outlaw wrote:I usually just ignore the flaming. But my point is people arn't going to take us seriously if we act like a bunch of immature idiots all the time. This site exists for us to help each other make our cars better. Not talk crap. I'm not weak for speaking the truth. This thread is about suggestions to make this site better so I gave one.

Fully understandable, and I see your point...but the general auto enthusiest doesn't respect a J owner to begin with. You can re-read the 100+ threads of people whining about that fact. Secondly, who gives a damn if others do or do not respect them? Especially on an internet forum? Respect is earned through hard work and a final product, not an internet forum.....although I guess other see it different.I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.

I agree respect has to be earned. I was more talking about members signing up and seeing all this and then going away. I'm not whining. It was just a suggestion as to what I feel is one of the contributing factors to this site dying down.

The Outlaw
2200 5spd

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:59 PM
the outlaw wrote:I agree respect has to be earned. I was more talking about members signing up and seeing all this and then going away. I'm not whining. It was just a suggestion as to what I feel is one of the contributing factors to this site dying down.

whateva u r dumb lol diacf! fggt!
yes, i am being facetious

Thursday, November 13, 2008 8:05 AM
Dave wrote:I can't go over all the details, but here's the summary. First, I will add the ability to reply to a classified post, just like a forum post. I think this is the most requested feature, and makes the most sense. Second, you will be able to specify regions for a post (and not all of them - I'll probably make it intelligent enough to only allow adjacent regions). With the addition of that, I will integrate it in some way with the regional forums. That way it will be very easy to go between a regional forum and that regions classifieds.

That is the major changes, and there will probably be many more minor changes. I'll definitely take into consideration some of the points you made - specify shipping/pick-up options, actual price, etc. I like those ideas. I hadn't even thought of having a minimum post count before allowing a post in classifieds, but its a very good idea.

Im not sure how it works or if you could do it but if you somehow made the classified into regional sections, how bout something like a stickey type forum thats like a link sort of that shows the classified section thats split up for that specific region. Does that make any sence?

RIP JessE -- You are not forgotten! | FaceBook | G+
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search