Official "I dented my hood b/c I put something on the strut tower" thread - General Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Official "I dented my hood b/c I put something on the strut tower" thread
Monday, February 09, 2009 10:19 PM
I just wanted to jump on the "Official" band wagon,
and I know I am not the only one that has done this to my cav (or sunfire),
so I thought I would start a "I was a dumb-dumb" thread, just for fun.

for me, it was the oil filler cap on the pass side(why they made it fit so nicely I just don't know).

My brother-in-law did the same thing to his just a year after I did it to mine.

Re: Official "I dented my hood b/c I put something on the strut tower" thread
Monday, February 09, 2009 10:21 PM
The guy who was helping me torch off the bolts behind the cat accidentally burned my side molding on my 96 when we were installing my cat-back exhaust.

Trevor Mullins wrote:

kind of like a screwed up kids sing along

pete the anal monkey lived in my bum..............

best epiosode of barney ever lol

Monday, February 09, 2009 10:33 PM
How do you do that.

Oh and for the strut tower part mine was a flashlight. That taught me to never leave tools in an engine bay. That and losing three sockets in a day.

The proper way of using the word seen. It is not I seen it that would be I saw it. He has seen the car is the right way to use the word. English class is Cool. By the way thats my sig
Tuesday, February 10, 2009 4:17 AM
My turn. Not strut tower related but about 5 years ago I put just a cone air filter on my stock intake tube (2.2L). unscrewed the air box cover and just let the cone filter sit ontop of the hole of the air box and shut the hood. Put a small dent in the hood from the cone's base (metal part). Stupid on my part for not checking clearance i guess. Got a real CAI now from the intake down in the fender.

Proud member since 99
Tuesday, February 10, 2009 11:44 AM
Flashlight. Same day I bought the car. Which was last Friday. I fail. lol.
Tuesday, February 10, 2009 6:40 PM
Watch and a ratchet. Luckily both happened before I put my fiberglass hood on

Tuesday, February 10, 2009 6:46 PM
COOLANT RESERVOIR CAP. DAMNIT. i hit it TWICE BEFORE I NOTICED.
i thought i was the only one. glad you guys are here to make me feel better.
Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:04 PM
On my red car. I left a pack of 5 open-ended wrenches near the strut tower. I was trying to stop a rattle in the parking lot after work. I would've preferred the rattle.

"The J's weren't designed to be sports cars, the suspension sucks, the brakes are tiny, and the target market for our car doesn't need to be able to do any more than 65mph." - Shifted

A more accurate observation has never been typed. These should be the starting points before any serious performance modification. What's the point of making a serious performer if you can't control it's power?

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:54 AM
Screwdriver.... Used for hood prop.... On a customers car....

Mine on the other hand had the misfotune of having a wrench meet both battery terminals and me frantically looking for something to knock an obviously hot wrench off of them. I think my face was......

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 11:20 AM
I leave tools up there all the time when working in the dark. Luckily, dents don't bother me...

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster

***BREAKING NEWS*** notec's steps to a brighter American future:
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=36&i=58477&t=58099#58477

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 11:28 AM
got out of my car one morning after work popped my hood to check my oil put my keys on the driver side strut tower closed hood heard keys gingle just as the hood locked all i could do was laugh

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 11:29 AM
cell phone. wondered why the alignment made it sit so high, didnt dent the hood

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 2:14 PM
Buddy did the same as OP. LOL. It happens.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 2:57 PM
After I blew up the 2.4 that came in my Z - I was attempting to survey damage (at 2AM using only a cell phone for light). I left my oil cap sitting on the strut tower... luckily it didn't dent the hood, it just made the alignment look like I thought I was some kind of cool drifter tool.

The next morning I fixed that gay @!#$, then the only thing that was wrong was that I had a huge hole in my exhaust cam tower cover... A demolished valve spring, and 4 nice little valve knicks in each piston. The good old redlining 3rd and slam it into 2nd gear follie. Works every time.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:06 PM
I left a socket on there, no dents though.

On a somewhat related note (he was a dumb-dumb), I saw a guy trying to boost a dead battery on his Impala outside my apartment window today. Somehow it resulted in it an explosion, and an engine fire which he eventually put out with snow.
Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:23 PM
LMFAO! That's a good one!

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:44 PM
Big crimp pliers. Didn't leave a dent, but scared the @!#$ out of me

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 9:42 PM
i love sticking tools up there, only to find them a week or 2 later.

Thursday, February 12, 2009 12:02 PM
Ive bent my fair share of hoods doing various things.

My favorite was detailing at the auto auction.....thought the car had gas shocks holding the hood up, and SLAM....SPROING...BAM...CLANG, then I catch a metal hood prop in my groin.

This happened on several occasions there, to me and others.

My other favorite was driving a Neon from next door to our shop, battery was dead, as was the alt. I had the jump pack under the hood, "secured" it with a bungee. Was driving, when a huge gust of wind ripped the bungee off, and gently placed the hood onto the windshield (still not bent). I slowed to a stop, got out, and before I could correct the situation, a huge gust came the other way, slamming the hood onto the battery pack, and turning it into a giant metal taco.

Thursday, February 12, 2009 6:50 PM
Never caused any damage, but...numerous tools, sunglasses, Im sure theres more.

Join verbalwarfare.com

http://www.verbalwarfare.com/forum.php?referrerid=86

Monday, March 02, 2009 4:47 PM
Um, my personal worst on my behalf was a small screwdriver set i put on the strut mount while changing the air filter. Now the drivers side of my hoods alignment is bumped up from the fender and the passenger side is sunk down a bit from someone sitting on it in the mall parking lot

Wednesday, March 04, 2009 4:53 PM
I once locked closed my hood with my keys / alarm remote on the strut tower. You couldn't do it if you tried...it hit the arm button. Was locked out. Had to go get my spare keys, open the car, set off the alarm, pop the hood and then disarm. I was lucky I was at home - it could have been a disaster lol.

Otherwise, I didn't do it on purpose but I forgot a roll of electric tape on one, and now it just stays there - ya know for emergencies.
Thursday, March 05, 2009 7:10 PM
Was working on a customers intrepid one day and the hood struts were, of course, bad. Normally I use my locking pliers to secure the hood strut up, but someone had "borrowed" them that day and I couldn't find them. Another mechanic let me borrow these c-clamp looking things that he said he used, but I had to use one on each strut as one alone wouldn't hold the hood up. After I finished the job, not thinking, I removed one of the clamps and the hood came crashing down, on top of the other clamp. The hood itself didn't bend but the hinge did. So i took the hood off and got the hinge back in working order. Looked just like new. As I was putting the hood back on, i didn't realize i was putting the long screws from the fender side of the hinge into the hood side. What do ya know, the screws went straight throught the sheet metal of the hood. DOH!!

Boss was a little angry on that one...

Go Go OG Traction!!
Thursday, March 05, 2009 7:26 PM
i was hoping for pictures of dent hoods

Thursday, March 05, 2009 10:00 PM
I got one, not a hood, but close enough.

I did an oil change on a friend's car and left the oil cap on the hood latch. Got done and forgot to put the oil cap back on. Slammed the hood 3 times before I realized why it wasn't latching...

Ended up buying him another oil cap...

==============================================================

Yes, noob, the search button is for you...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search